What's new

Blood Simple has a film historian commentary! (1 Viewer)

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
A gentleman named Kenneth Loring, responsible for the recent restoration and cinema re-release (I think), has been given the honours of doing a commentary for the upcoming Blood Simple DVD, making it all the more enticing!
Here's an interview with Loring: http://www.dvdtalk.com/bloodsimpleinterview.html
Having only seen the original full-length version some months ago at the cinema (in a double bill with O Brother), I can't wait to see how the director's cut changes things around. I did feel the first half of the film was a little slow.
One question - does this version replace the opening narration, discussed in the interview? I couldn't tell and haven't seen it yet.
[Edited last by Jon Robertson on August 30, 2001 at 05:55 PM]

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Great news...but I thought the disc was bare-bones? It's nice to have the commentary, though; I am really looking forward to this.
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Jon, the guy in the interview you've linked to is named "Kenneth Loring", not "Kenneth Bowser" -- and the whole thing is a joke. Read the whole interview. It's all just a continuation of the hilarious introduction to the director's cut by the fake film historian.
I mean, c'mon:
Keeping the movie camera out of the shot at all costs, something these filmmakers knew so well, even though this was their first film! They were already so confident - so aware - that you must keep the movie camera out of the film itself. It must be there, of course, to record the scene, but here's the paradox: you musn't see it in the scene, even if your shooting a scene with a mirror! It can be rather a chore to conceal it - and not just the camera, but the crew and the snacks table for the crew.
M.
[Edited last by Michael Reuben on August 30, 2001 at 04:11 PM]

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Whoops! I've just been watching Sullivan's Travels and that disc has Kenneth Bowser all over it, so that name's stuck in my head.
'Tis a cruel trick to play on fans such as myself...but I can take a joke.
I just skimmed the article and the bits I saw looked real enough. Silly me.
biggrin.gif

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The absolute best job I've ever come across in terms of
a totally tongue in cheek documentary is Forgotten Silver.
If one loves film, and hasn't experienced Forgotten Silver...
Available at a fine purveyor of dvds near you.
RAH

Don Myles

Stunt Coordinator
Originally had Blood Simple on pre-order but I cancelled it because I was worried about the quality of the release.
I already have the R2 version which is probably the worst looking DVD I have - it makes VHS look stunning.
Hope I can find some reviews of the R1 Blood Simple DVD soon to see if it is any better.
Don

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
That's the funniest "interview" I've read in a LONG time. Especially the bit about the "large, hectoring female" as standard archetype in film noir. And who can forget the great animatronic dog? LOL!
"I find European cinema to be older than American film."
------------------

John CW

Supporting Actor
You can already get the directors cut (which only loses two minutes and adds a tiny narrative at the beginning) in Widescreen anamorphic and Dolby Digital 5.1 in Spain and Germany.
Both include an English Dolby Digital 5.1 track as well.
Read my review here: http://www.dvddebate.com/article.php?sid=1915

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks