What's new

Blockbuster vs. Netflix - battle heats up (1 Viewer)

derek

Second Unit
http://news.com.com/2100-1023-949024.html
I've used Netflix and another rental service (dvdavenue) for DVDs and have been pretty much satsified with the programs. My BB card hasn't seen action in years and I'm not very fond of BB in general (early DVD issues/rental pricing etc.) However this move could actually bring me back if the pricing is agressive enough and BB continues to expand their DVD rental collection. If you have a BB nearby (like I do) it could offer even more for your money in DVD entertainment.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
No thanks - I'll stick with netflix. :D
I don't see Blockbuster having as good a selection especially in regards to obscure & foreign titles. Their other store policies are a major turnoff also.
Looks like things are getting desperate for the Video-bullies.

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I use Netflix because they have such a large selection of older and foreign films and will continue to do so.

I will say for the average renter who only wants mainstream titles this might not be such a bad option.

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
I like the idea for video on demand but I don't use it. The only way I would use it is if they gave you the option of the oar version or the full screen version. At this time, they only offer the full screen version.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
Good news then Andy! Time Warner is slated to start testing VOD for HD and 5.1 soon if they haven't already. I for one will be waiting for at least a year after it goes live however.

I subscribed to the HBO on demand and because the signal has to travel both ways along the cable line I had nothing but problems. It worked about half the time, perhaps less. I have Road Runner so I wasn't expecting this problem but I found out that the video and data feed for VOD used a different frequency which needs a pristine path to work. You can't use most video boosters with VOD because they are one way however there are boosters (my buddy has one) that are full duplex and boost the signal in the required frequency range. It caused a lot of confusion for the cable geeks when they were troubleshooting his HD signal problems however because they didn't have enough knowledge to understand their own products and fix them. Sad really.

Andy G

Auditioning
I recently joined Netflix and have (so far) found it to be a wonderful substitute for Blockbuster. I was looking to ditch Blockbuster because:

1. The attitude of the employees has always sucked (at least in the locations I haved used).

2. Blockbuster's pricing has predictably followed the predatory pricing models of companies bent on extinguishing competitors. Prices are reasonable in the beginning and then, once the independents (which typically have a more diverse rental selection and pleasant work force) are driven out of business, prices rise to exhorbitant levels. Then we're stuck with the conservative cookie-cutter selection calculated to maximize company profits.

Don't let Blockbuster do to Netflix what they have done to every other competitor. I personally don't care how attractive Blockbuster's prices become in the short term--you can bet they won't stay that way. I have no desire to rent from this video "McDonalds."

My 2 cents.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Andy, somewhat serious question here. You wouldn't consider DVD quality (480i maybe 480p) as a useful VoD option? I'm working on a project that is dealing with this question...

Andy_S

Second Unit
If the quality is comparable to an anamorphic DVD, then I would consider it. The only real difference between VOD and rental is the way it gets to my house. Once the movie is there then it really doesn't matter if it's a rental from Block Buster or VOD. Now if VOD had a huge advantage (like HD) then Block Buster couldn't compete (at least not for a few years until HD-DVD comes out).

Now, if VOD had movies that I just couldn't get at Block Buster or Netflix (Like Star Wars/Indiana Jones/etc) in 480P/DD5.1 then I would use it for sure.

Also, if I could stream a VOD movie and pause/rewind, it would be much more tempting. And sometimes I like watching a movie more than once (I'll watch a movie during the day and then later that night with my wife). So it would be great if you could watch the same VOD movie multiple times within a 48 or 72 hour period. So rather than paying to view a movie once, you're paying for a block of time to watch that one movie. Much like a regular video rental.

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Sorry, but being able to select from practically every DVD ever released will always be better than selecting from the latest blockbusters and taking my chances on all movies, no matter what the prices are. Here's hoping Netflix can slay the behemoth. Think I would have been able to rent, among other non-mainstream flicks, Seven Samurai, The Trouble with Harry, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, Trainspotting, Lantana, Key Largo, Being There, I could go on like this forever, from Blockbuster? I think not. I know I'm basically preaching to the converted here, but that's my rant.
BTW, my dad added it up and found that, with Netflix, we've been paying about $1.15 per movie this summer. Blockbuster can take their $3.69 per rental prices and well, you know...:D

Must chime in here. With really good movies becoming fewer and far between, the obscure and foreign films are really intriuging. To me that is what sets Netflix above all others. That and there are no tricky late fees. Here's a recent Netflix article if you all are interested.
Netflix News

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I'll stick with Netflix too. In fact, the only time I ever go into blockbuster is when I have an impulse craving to see a specific movie, and that doesn't happen much.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Also, if I could stream a VOD movie and pause/rewind, it would be much more tempting.
That's already availiable. Atleast with Time Warner's OnDemand VOD program here, you can pause, rewind, fast foward. I haven't used it since it requires digital cable which I don't have and all the movies are P&S.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I continue to support a local, independent store with plenty of titles, both obscure and mainstream.
I also support an independent store here. Since I live in a college town, this store stocks the more obscure titles. This store was also supporting DVD since 1998. BB was still in denial about the presence of DVD. I try to avoid BB when I can, and fortuneately, I have a local, B & M alternative.

Jeff Gross

Second Unit
I think Blockbuster is missing the point. They seem to think that NetFlix is popular because of their pricing. All the people that I know that use NetFlix put selection and convenience ahead of price. I don't think this new pricing program is going to help them take NetFlix's customers.
Looks like things are getting desperate for the Video-bullies.
I don't think they're desperate:
NEW YORK, July 24 (Reuters) - Blockbuster Inc. (NYSE:BBI - News), the world's largest video rental chain, on Wednesday reported a 59 percent surge in second-quarter profits as it benefited from its push to expand its offering of DVD entertainment and video games.
http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/020724/retai...r_earns_4.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks