What's new

Blackk or Silver? (1 Viewer)

GregoriusM

Second Unit
I'd like to know where people are going with their equipment these days.

Even Denon has come out with a Gun Metal Silver version of their new AVR-3805 receiver.

I've been totally black until now, but there is the odd component out there that I have considered that only comes in silver.

So, I was just wondering what the consensus is with people out in HT land as to whether they are buying silver and don't care if it mixes up the "coloring" of their component rack;

Or, are starting to buy silver to move over to all silver components;

Or hate the silver and are staying with black.

I'm looking at the 3805, and the pic of the silver looks pretty nice.

Greg

Hmmmm...... I guess I can't edit the Thread Name to change blackk to black.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
silver tv, black audio compenents, mdf speakers with vinyl wood laminates here, the way it should be. My grandparents are into the silver thing, there mid 80's sony tv, with there 70's era fisher stereo.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
I prefer black but have obtained several silver components recently because its back in style again and in many cases silver was the only option.

Ernest Yee

Supporting Actor
Just get a rear vented audio rack w/ a tinted glass front. Then all your components will look equally vague from the outside.

Mike_Skeway

Second Unit
I prefer black, I have a few components that are silver because that is all that model came in. I don’t know, they look fine together in my rack. :)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I have to admit that one of the reasons I purchased my H/K 520, DVD5, CD8380 and CDR20 was because of the the way they looked. These are black with gold highlites and multi-colored LED's. They have an expensive "european" look about them. I also have an Onkyo HT-R500 which is all black. Pretty plain looking but the performance for an entry level receiver is outstanding. Silver components are o.k. with me but cheap one's look even cheaper. The Kenwood 7080 is a mighty fine looking piece though. In one room I have all the H/K stuff in a maple ET center and it looks pretty cool. In the other room is a bunch of different stuff on a steel and glass audio cabinet and it looks o.k. too. Price/performance should be more important but looks play a part as well. Gene

Mark Amayao

Stunt Coordinator
hahahahaha one of the things I constantly bugged my denon rep about was another color other than black. Im sure I wasnt the only one, but I think they made the silver color available mainly because of the silver TV's out there.

I was actually aiming for more of a champagne finish :D

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
I prefer black, but won't let that stop me from getting a silver component if silver is the only color it is available in and it is what I really want.

Devin_C

Stunt Coordinator
Prefer black, but currently mix; the stand is a black & silver Plateau, so it's ok for now...

Yogi

Screenwriter
Black all the way for me. Black looks the best to my eyes. Blue LEDs on black background are the coolest looking.:)

JimIroc

Agent
I'm a big fan of the silver, and I wish it was as commonly available here as it is overseas. I've always felt that the brushed aluminum components have an understated elegance similar to the equipment from the 60s and 70s... back when 100 watts meant 100 watts and even the low end stuff had a clean sound quality. Just don't bring back the blue back-lit displays. :)

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I prefer champagne colored components, but very few companies make US bound units that come in champagne. If the silver finish is good, it looks great. If it is bad, it looks cheap. With black, at least you know that it will look pretty non-discreet, but sometimes one likes showing off their sick setup, and a good silver or champagne component brings out the "oohs" and "aahhs" a little better than components that are "none more black":D

Yogi

Screenwriter

I thought the blue backlit meters on many of the yesteryears gear looked the coolest.

Another indication that this is a purely subjective hobby.

cheers,

GregoriusM

Second Unit
My brushed aluminum Rotel stereo "receiver" (no tuner), rack mount, weighed about a ton and a half, with those beeeeeeeeautiful VU meters just bouncing back and forth, with a clean, clean, solid 80 watts per channel that could push those 10" Tannoys to supreme levels of sound from that shimmering blur of spinning vinyl. Those... were.... the..... days my friend, we thought they'd never end... :b

Hmmmmmmm... I think I'm tired of black. But, I'm not so sure that silver looks that good in all homes. I think in dedicated theaters, it doesn't matter as much because you can also put them in a cabinet to hide the mis-matched equipment if you want.

But, the champagne color I think would blend in much better with people's homes and the wood/wood veneer speakers.

Black or silver? No! Champagne for everyone! :D

Drew_W

Screenwriter
How about both? My Rotel 1075 amp is silver. What does that mean? only the centre chunk is silver. The fins on both sides are still black. The rest of my rack is black, except for the 3600 Monster Power thingy with the centre silver, black sides thing. In any case, it's nice to put a little silver in the rack, it makes it more interesting, but it still blends well since the ENTIRE thing isn't silver.

LCSeminole

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Laurence
Black, but I will have to give the new Rotel 1068 a serious thought since it comes in a black/silver combination. Maybe it comes in all black and that will solve that problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks