What's new

Black Adam (2022) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yikes:

When a movie makes $387 million and it loses $100 million, that's the dumbass fault of the studio for the simplistic thinking of "comic book + The Rock = $1,000,000,000,000,000,000" and writing a blank check instead of realizing that no one outside of a comic book store knows who Black Adam is & that the DC movies aren't as popular as the Marvel movies and not adjusting the budget for those facts.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Warner announced that Black Adam will start streaming on HBO Max on December 16th, which is ahead of its physical media release date of January 3rd.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Some of the technical aspects of what I saw and heard from the Hbo broadcast.

Audio was very Bass heavy. Not a bad thing.
Dialog, center channel wasn’t great. Needed to turn in subtitles to catch all the words. Some of it was muffled.
Some of this, all of it mybe was filmed with a wide angle lens?
I saw some distortion in the sides when characters or objects moved in from the left or right. No big deal but it was noticeable.
The colors enhanced with Dolby Vision, Exciting.

The movie itself. I really really liked it. I thought it was a lot of fun to watch.
Was very happy to see this little group of Superheroes that haven’t been seen before. Plus this Version of Hawkman was darn good. ALDIs Hodge
I could watch one of that guy as Hawkman.
Atom Smasher was a tad under utilized.
Cyclone was an unfamiliar DC Hero to me. Liked her too.

Seeing Dr Fate on screen, again loved it.
Brosnan nailed it I thought.

The costumes were perfect especially Hawkman and Dr Fate.

Johnson’s charisma came through towards the end I think.
He’s getting a bit older now so I’m glad he was finally able to get this Done.

The end of the movie. That was bittersweet.

I only knew about what was going to happen because someone spoiled it in another movie thread but even knowing it was exhilarating.

Cavill is just about perfect as Superman and it stinks that this is the last we will see of him. Very happy they useD John Williams Superman theme.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I watched this on HBOMax last night. Didn't like it quite as much as I'd hoped, but liked it way more than I expected.

Dwayne Johnson was born to play this role. If Gunn & Safran have any plans to continue using the character, I hope they decide to keep Johnson instead of recasting.

I always love me some Sarah Shahi.

Cyclone was a good character, played well (I'm not familiar with her from the comics, but I am familiar with her progenitor, the original Red Tornado). But more than that, I like the visual effects they gave her. It was a very distinctive look.

I wish they'd given at least some time with background on Dr Fate and Hawkman. I'm more than familiar with the characters as they are in the comics, but it'd've been nice to get a feel for what aspects from the comics they were using or abandoning. Especially Hawkman, who is a character with more origins and retcons than the Boston Common has blades of grass. It seemed odd that Cyclone and Atom Smasher were given more background than Fate and Hawkman.

On the downside, I found some of the fight scenes rather tedious. There are very few superhero films where I find that to be the case, but this was one of them. And while I love Viola Davis as Waller -- and appreciated the cameo of Jennifer Holland as Harcourt -- it feels like they're pushing Task Force X on us more than is deserved. But that's me.

Bottom line: surprisingly moderately high on my DCEU film rankings. Will definitely be getting the UHD when it comes out.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It sounds like they’ll use him again in a future ”phase” but there are no immediate plans.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That statement reads to me like a nice way to avoid saying they're done with Black Adam.

We know that Johnson pushed for Henry Cavill to be included in Black Adam because he himself said so. We also know that Henry Cavill is no longer playing Superman because they are rebooting that character with a younger actor.

Keeping Johnson as Black Adam opposite another Superman doesn't add up. Yes, they can do it with the multiverse concept. But it seems like the whole reason to reboot again would be to ditch all the baggage that comes with the previous universe. Keeping Black Adam would be counterintuitive to that goal.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That statement reads to me like a nice way to avoid saying they're done with Black Adam.

We know that Johnson pushed for Henry Cavill to be included in Black Adam because he himself said so. We also know that Henry Cavill is no longer playing Superman because they are rebooting that character with a younger actor.

Keeping Johnson as Black Adam opposite another Superman doesn't add up. Yes, they can do it with the multiverse concept. But it seems like the whole reason to reboot again would be to ditch all the baggage that comes with the previous universe. Keeping Black Adam would be counterintuitive to that goal.
I don't think so as it was only a cameo by Cavill. They could easily have Johnson come back as Black Adam in future movie.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if Gunn’s DCEU works (The Suicide Squad, Peacemaker) will be rebooted or allowed to continue? I’m a fan of Gunn’s and he can do it since he’s now one of the DCU bosses, but it would almost seem very self-serving if the idea is to reboot everything except his own works.

Of course, Gunn is known for including his brother and now-wife in his works (not that it’s a bad move, but some might say, “nepotism”), so the optics would be similar here.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
It seems like ditching Dwayne Johnson and Henry Cavill is a cost-cutting move. DC is retrenching, and so will no longer be paying big stars c. $30 million or so per movie. Whether DC can make successful movies with lesser-known actors who make a fraction of that remains to be seen.

"Johnson, for instance, asked for and received $22.5 million to play the lead in “Black Adam,” a DC superhero movie. In addition, he will receive millions more for producing the film, and earns a fee on top of that to promote the movie on his social media channels."

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
It seems like ditching Dwayne Johnson and Henry Cavill is a cost-cutting move. DC is retrenching, and so will no longer be paying big stars c. $30 million or so per movie. Whether DC can make successful movies with lesser-known actors who make a fraction of that remains to be seen.

"Johnson, for instance, asked for and received $22.5 million to play the lead in “Black Adam,” a DC superhero movie. In addition, he will receive millions more for producing the film, and earns a fee on top of that to promote the movie on his social media channels."

That’s what I said in the two Superman threads.
I didn’t see anyone agree.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Whether DC can make successful movies with lesser-known actors who make a fraction of that remains to be seen.
It is worth noting that Henry Cavill was a lesser-known actor when he began his run as Superman.

While new stars will certainly get less money to start with, and financial considerations are part of any discussions about how to run a movie slate, I don't think the decision to move on from Cavill was purely financial. I believe James Gunn when he says that he and Peter Safran want to do what they believe is right for the story.

I wonder if Gunn’s DCEU works (The Suicide Squad, Peacemaker) will be rebooted or allowed to continue?
I think this depends on what the overarching plan is. If the entire DCEU that began with Man of Steel is being completely rebooted, then I think that has to include Gunn's previous projects. He obviously cares about those, and this is why I don't think he would take such a decision lightly. Peter Safran is also a producer on Shazam and Aquaman, so he has an investment in the current films as well. If they do decide to reboot the whole thing, their willingness to move on from their own work would demonstrate to me the seriousness with which they believe rebooting is the right thing to do.

But that's big if.

If they are picking certain things to keep, then that's a different situation. Even if they did continue, it is an open question as to how much Gunn would be able to be involved with them. We know he is writing the new Superman movie, but he has not been announced to direct it. I think his involvement as director in the future is very much dependent upon whether he can find time to do that while also fulfilling his obligations as an executive. Cars 2 is the only film John Lasseter personally directed after being elevated to head Disney Animation and Pixar, even though he had directed four films previously.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Yeah. At this point, there are questions about how much Gunn will be able to commit to writing and directing a second season of Peacemaker, now that he's DC's creative head honcho.

Doug2000

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Doug
Saw it on 4K UHD. Pretty good movie. Enjoyed it. Not earth shattering though.

A little like the original Mummy with Brendan Fraser (but, not as good). In fact, instead of explaining the ancient history at the start of the movie it might have been better if they told the ancient story along the way through the studies & discoveries of the modern day characters and just showed the footage of the ancient story like “flashbacks” - as was done in the Mummy.

But it works the way it is.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
For me, it was a boring, by-the-numbers, big, loud bunch of nothing. Two weeks later I can barely remember much about the film, except for the fact that Dwayne Johnson did a lot of floating and scowling in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks