What's new

Black Adam (2022) (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If this thing bombs, I think their desire to work with him will decidedly decline.

And I doubt I'll be spending any money on seeing any Flash movie starting the nutter they cast.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Also, I never said it was considered. I just said the payoff would have been bigger in terms of a write off if they had and that seems to be all Zaslov appears to be looking for with his disastrous rule.

Also, you have to wonder what the government was thinking to enact a tax reward for entertainment companies to suppress content.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
That would be an interesting approach. Under prior DC universe management, that would have been in the first film.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I can’t understand what is the matter with critics. Why must every movie be another “Shindler’s List”? This is simply a big dumb fun comic book movie that pretends to be nothing else. We found it a hugely enjoyable diversion. I will undoubtably buy it on Blu.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I can’t understand what is the matter with critics. Why must every movie be another “Shindler’s List”? This is simply a big dumb fun comic book movie that pretends to be nothing else. We found it a hugely enjoyable diversion. I will undoubtably buy it on Blu.

Former critic and current non-critic here, but I didn't expect Schindler's List. I expected a coherent story, characters I cared about and a bad guy who had clear motivations. I also expected Johnson's charisma to be used and come through. This looked like a glorified CW show to me. (I'm not knocking CW shows...they did incredible work despite being on a fifth tier network channel and having small budgets.)

There's also the tiny fact of the real story of the movie-the West coming into a Middle Eastern country and trying to "fix" it when Black Adam shows up-is hilarious considering they didn't intercede when Intergang took over. But I'm gonna guess most audiences didn't care to think about that since it's radically uncomfortable. Focus on the Boom Boom Pow Pow stuff and not what the story is actually trying to say.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I thought it was a somewhat entertaining mess with very poor character development, a misguided subdued performance from Johnson and way too much cgi.

But I certainly wasn’t bored. But boy was it duuuuumb.
More and more, movies are branded for gamers more than movie goers. I guess as the audiences age, studios are gearing more towards that crowd.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
What complete nonsense, suggesting that people who are gamers don't know what good storytelling and/or stories are.
No, what I'm saying is that the over use of CGI is just being lazy storytellers, in some cases. This can never replace good storylines or decent character development.
Fast paced editing and loud explosions are nice, but never a substatute for "good storytelling". I'm not saying this is the dumbing down to the audience, but what I am saying is great technology should never be an excuse to be asleep at the wheel, and only offering the minimum.

And in my mind, is a byproduct of too many focus groups prior to a films release. One thing I've seen is when you try to please everybody, you end up pleasing no one.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
No, what I'm saying is that the over use of CGI is just being lazy storytellers, in some cases. This can never replace good storylines or decent character development.
Fast paced editing and loud explosions are nice, but never a substatute for "good storytelling". I'm not saying this is the dumbing down to the audience, but what I am saying is great technology should never be an excuse to be asleep at the wheel, and only offering the minimum.

And in my mind, is a byproduct of too many focus groups prior to a films release. One thing I've seen is when you try to please everybody, you end up pleasing no one.
Who knew the words "branded for gamers" meant all of that? :lol:

It is still nonsense. CGI is used because using practical effects to make these types of films is either impracticable, too expensive or both. CGI isn't used because "gamers" are being catered to.

As to focus groups, I don't disagree that they have too much influence; however, I can see the reasoning for using them when 200+ million is riding on a film's success. Using a focus group doesn't guarantee success; It just increases the odds.

Also, focus groups are not picked due to the hobbies they engage in. They are picked based on an age group that advertisers and studios believe are in their prime purchasing years, which they think is 18-49 years old.

Edit: fixed a typo.

Last edited:

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
More and more, movies are branded for gamers more than movie goers. I guess as the audiences age, studios are gearing more towards that crowd.
Meh, it predates gamer influence by a couple decades. It started with Michael Bay movies. It has spread like a plague through Hollywood where to be considered a good action movie it needs brain defective amounts of explosions and assaults on the senses.

That is why in this field of movie, spectacle has become more important than plot or reason or character development. Superhero movies are essentially part of the action movie genre. Then add in the simplistic and at times childish repeated battles between people who are essentially immortal and inflict more damage on the surroundings than on each other. It gets tiresome quickly, but it is what it is.

So with superhero movies, remember the source and keep your bar low. Admittedly, there are great superhero movies that don't end up being the cinematic equivalent of processed cheese.

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
The "Shazam" powers supposedly come from mythological figures – with each letter of the name referring to one set of powers:
  • S for the wisdom of Solomon (where was that when Billy Batson was misusing his powers during the first part of his movie?)
  • H for the strength of Hercules
  • A for the stamina of Atlas
  • Z for the power of Zeus
  • A for the courage of Achilles
  • M for the speed of Mercury
Not sure where the "universal translator" comes from, except maybe (with a very long stretch) from the "S" or the "Z".
Shu - stamina and resistance to attack
Horus - speed
Amon - strength
Zehuti - wisdom and access to knowledge from mortal to magical properties
Aton - lightning bolt
Mehan - courage and ability to resist manipulation.

It comes from Zehuti.
In the film, he loses the ability when he changes back.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Shu - stamina and resistance to attack
Horus - speed
Amon - strength
Zehuti - wisdom and access to knowledge from mortal to magical properties
Aton - lightning bolt
Mehan - courage and ability to resist manipulation.

It comes from Zehuti.
In the film, he loses the ability when he changes back.
Hi Guys...originally the gods used to make up the name of Shazam were all greek gods not egyptian ones...
from the old guy in the cave!!

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Hi Guys...originally the gods used to make up the name of Shazam were all greek gods not egyptian ones...
The original six names (at least, in the comics) were Solomon, Hercules, Atlas, Zeus, Achilles, Mercury. Only two of those are gods -- Zeus and Mercury, and Mercury is actually the Roman name for that god (the Greek name is Hermes). The others are Greek heroes, except for Solomon, who was an Old Testament king of Israel.

How to have fun with mixed mythologies...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks