What's new

Bizarre (1 Viewer)

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
I just got this from Amazon.com. No slipcovers, just one, big 10-disc plastic case with most of the trays broken and the case shattered like it had been stepped on. Idk but, for some reason, I kind of expect broken cases with these new "smelly" black plastic ones-- they smell like an oil slick and just seem infinitely more brittle than the old Alphas. The discs? The original release discs, including the defective disc 7. The problem? Disc 7 has a corrupted VOB that should have included the sketch/episode selection menus. If you pick those options the player freezes up. The only way to watch that disc is via the play all button (or select the title number directly), but all the episodes are playable. I think I'ma return this and see if I can get the slim case version as a replacement, or at least a case that hasn't been shattered.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
Robbie^Blackmon said:
I just got this from Amazon.com. No slipcovers, just one, big 10-disc plastic case with most of the trays broken and the case shattered like it had been stepped on. Idk but, for some reason, I kind of expect broken cases with these new "smelly" black plastic ones-- they smell like an oil slick and just seem infinitely more brittle than the old Alphas. The discs? The original release discs, including the defective disc 7. The problem? Disc 7 has a corrupted VOB that should have included the sketch/episode selection menus. If you pick those options the player freezes up. The only way to watch that disc is via the play all button (or select the title number directly), but all the episodes are playable. I think I'ma return this and see if I can get the slim case version as a replacement, or at least a case that hasn't been shattered.
Wow, maybe they are trying to clear out stock of the original 1-disc volumes, or maybe they depleted their supply of the slipcover/2 slim case set? I ordered mine a few years ago when it was first released. The image that Amazon has posted for the 10-disc set is from the lenticular slipcase cover for the 2-slimcase set. That smacks of false advertising, since the product shown in the picture is not the product you received. I would definitely contact them and see what they can do for you.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Russell G said:
Thanks for the heads up Jeff. Looking on amazon.ca it looked like this one was sold out. amazon.com has it for under $40 so I'm going to grab it up. The slim packs are much more appealing then all that shelf space needed for the five volume packs.
You can get them from here: www.playstop.ca/shop (it's the store formerly known as CDplus). That's where I ordered my individual volumes years ago, and later, my collected set when I sold the volumes off. It's based in Canada, reputable, and has free shipping. They have the 1-5 and 6-10 collections for CAD$11.22 each, or the 1-10/lenticular collection for just a little bit more money (CAD$23.22). I think the only difference between the two individual collections, and the 1-10 set is the outer cardboard lenticular slipcover, because the two cases are standard-size Amarays, and the artwork on the Playstop site for the two individual volumes matches the art for the two volumes that are in my 1-10 "boxed" set. So, if you want the slipcover, order the 1-10 set, if you could care less and want to save about 80 cents (Canadian), get the 1-5 and 6-10 collections individually. I'd steer clear of the "singles" though, as it's much more money overall, and you would be missing out on volumes 7 and 10.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Sadly I ordered before seeing Andy's post. I ordered this from Amazon, and they arrived today in the fat 10 pack case. My case was busted, but all the trays are still in place and all the discs seem fine. So it's good enough for me. I haven't had a chance to check on disc 7 yet, I'll report my findings to see if it's defective like Robbie's was.

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
Russell G said:
Sadly I ordered before seeing Andy's post. I ordered this from Amazon, and they arrived today in the fat 10 pack case. My case was busted, but all the trays are still in place and all the discs seem fine. So it's good enough for me. I haven't had a chance to check on disc 7 yet, I'll report my findings to see if it's defective like Robbie's was.
I've been through 3 sets from Amazon, all alike, all shattered to bits. They were really good to me about it, but the fault lies with the case itself, which is a flimsy piece of junk. I can crush pieces of the brittle plastic between my fingers with zero effort. The discs are okay (disc 7 still has the glitch but it's playable) so I'll just store them in something else.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I got the same set Robby got with a disc 7 that only works with "Play All". No slipcover either. For the price, I'm fine with it. I typically hit "Play All" with these anyways.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I've been slowly working my way through the 10-disc set and I've been making notes on all the episodes with running times, sketches included, etc. I'm done with the first two discs and I've noticed only one "censored" sketch so far (almost every episode has the gratuitous topless woman shot). I may post my notes here eventually, if anyone would be interested.

I did find an episode guide on TV.com but very few episodes really seem to match. Not sure if that source is wrong or if many of these DVD episodes are actually the "best-of" shows that were patched together. Anyway, it's been a blast re-watching these some 30+ years after seeing them on Showtime. I also noticed several sketches that were originally done on the Van Dyke & Company show (in fact, the golfing one with Dick Van Dyke is EXACTLY the same video). I believe that Bob Einstein (Super Dave) was a writer on the Van Dyke show, so that would make sense.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I enjoyed seeing Einstein on Comedians in Cars. That was a funny one. When I read the name I had no idea that was Super Dave until it hit me who he was. I know he's on something with Larry David recently or right now. More stuff to my list that I need to see.

I only saw Bizarre a few times growing up, over at my cousins. We just watched it for the articles. Not quite SCTV but it reminds me of watching stuff that was naughty and hoping the folks didn't come down stair and see what I was watching. What a great feeling that was!

My set is fine. Although I haven't gotten to #7 yet. I'll use playall. No biggie.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I appreciate the 100 episodes we got, but I really wish VEI had gone ahead and finished off the run. I think there were supposed to be around 150 original episodes. I know of at least one episode I was hoping would be on here, but wasn't. It had an "adult" version of Cinderella where the goal was to find the woman who fit into the glass brassiere (rather than slipper). I remember only seeing the censored version, but my 16-year-old-self finding it very funny.

samsamsamsmasmasma

Auditioning
Real Name
sam
Did you ever complete your notes Mr. Handley? I am looking for more information on these DVDs but it is difficult. This is what I have found using the tv episodes guide for volume 1-5
Volume 1: 1,14,2,36,52,22,23,25,28,26
Volume 2: 4,17,7,21,15,46,37,30,61,86
Volume 3: 47,57,83,117,76,5,3,54,99,141
Volume 4: 132,36,32,69,87,11,45,39,136,100
Volume 5: 35,27,66,64,49,68,82,77,102,103

There does seem to be some inconsistencies. I have two episode 36. It also doesn't help that the numbering on the tv episode guide does not count correctly.

Interesting.. I just read the pilot was hosted by Richard Dawson

Last edited:

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
That was a version for American network TV that never got past the first episode. It was on YouTube and quite bizarre to see no pun intended, using the same graphics and such but a completely different show.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I made notes on the 10 disc set, but they were lost when my PC crashed a couple of years ago and I wasn't able to retrieve all my files! I got busy with other stuff and never got back to it. May have to find the time again.

johnnybear

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Does anyone know if the strippergram in the hospital skit is on any of the DVDs and which one if anyone can help?
JB

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks