Bizarre Monitor Settings Problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin_Graham, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Kevin_Graham

Kevin_Graham Stunt Coordinator

Mar 1, 2001
    I gave my old P3 600mhz computer to my mom over the weekend. After hooking it up to her monitor I could see that the settings for her monitor were way off. The Windows desktop appeared as though the screen area was set to 1280 x 1024 when in fact it was set to 1024 x 768. So I bumped it down to 800 x 600 and this now gave the appearance of 1024 x 768. The other problem is that the Windows image does not fill the screen. I tried using the controls on the monitor which would allow me to fill the screen horizontally but even with a maximum adjustment the vertical portion was still off by 3". I uninstalled the monitor driver and allowed XP to assign a new driver but this made no difference. The monitor is a low-end generic brand that Mom bought last year when her other one died.

The video card is an AOpen GeForce2 I believe. What am I missing?
  2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Mar 4, 2001
    David Fischer
  3. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

Apr 11, 1999
    I would guess that the cheap monitor is not syncing correctly. Does Windows recognize it as a "Plug and Play" monitor?

Does that particular flavor of GeForce card provide any good monitor info/adjustments, specifically vertical and horizontal frequency? Vertical frequency is in the neighborhood of 50Hz, 60Hz, 70Hz; horizontal is like 50kHz.

I had what seems like a similar problem just a few days ago. I use a KVM (keyboard video mouse) switch, and the monitor was switched to another computer when I booted. So the card did not detect the monitor correctly, and it ran the video mode (1152x864) at only 43Hz; the picture was shrunken like you describe. A simple restart of Windows (without rebooting) fixed it.