What's new

Bill Hunt - lost at sea? (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well The Digital Bits is off looking for a new home. Bill didn't post anything here so I'm curious if anybody has any news, especially concerning when they are coming back.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
They're not looking for a new home. They're just moving off the HTF server onto their own because the traffic was too much for 2 sites to handle

I talked to him earlier today, I think he should be up and running again in the next few days.

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
Yeah I noticed the HTF seemed to being going a little quicker the last several days.
I hardly go TDB anymore anyway. He seems to be a day behind most of the other sites in the news. I mainly go to davisdvd and DVDfile anymore. Bill just doesn't seem to enjoy getting the big stories anymore.
Kevin C. :)

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
I don't agree. The Digital Bits is still one of my primary spots for DVD info. Bill does a great job on news, stories and reviews.

-greg

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
I have sensed that keeping TDB up is not quite as exciting as it used to be for Bill, but I suppose that's natural as DVD in general has settled into more of a routine.

I still think he has one of the more trustworthy and no nonsense news sites going on DVD. We just need some more exciting things to report. Can you say Star Wars, Indiana Jones, just to name a couple.

Deane

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Did anybody else find that moving van picture they had up a little... disturbing? I certainly wouldn't want to hitch a ride with that Doogan character... :D

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
While it is true that TDB is no longer on the cutting edge of day-to-day news in the world of DVD, Bill still does a great job with maintaining a credible site. I have followed it since day one and he has been quoted many times in various magazine articles, etc. He has an excellent reputation for integrity and I suspect that studios still follow Bill's site fairly closely. If he disses a DVD, it could have negative consequences for sales of that particular title. For sure, he had a leadership position for the SW DVD saga and if George Lucas ever has an urge to get honest, I wonder how he'd reflect on Bill's involvement in that one. I would agree that the lack of "issues" for DVD right now (DIVX gone; SW Ep1 released; OAR/anamorphic much more standard now, etc.) has more to do with it than anything.
What will we talk about when all the SW eps are out, along with Indy and Back to the Future? Keep it up, Bill! If you think you've run out of "issues," invent some!;)

I'm eagerly awaiting the next "Bitsy" awards. Without them, I never would have bought the awesome Criterion Brazil set a couple of years ago!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Bill didn't post anything here...
Let's see...a quick search of his name shows that he last posted 1 note in December about Silly Symphonies; before that 2 on Sept. 13th concerning the tragedy in NY, then before that a few in August. In 2+ years he's posted here less than 150 times.
He probably reads here more than he writes! :D
Also, y'all do realize that both Bill and Todd have gigs in which their DVD reviews appear in Video Store Magazine? Last time I saw reviews by them, Todd did Don't Say A Word and Bill did Captain Corelli's Mandolin. I distinctly remember these because my wife's friend had a whim to buy the latter one, and I showed her Bill's review that indicated it was barely satisfactory as a film and that the disc had little in the way of supplements (which she's big on).
Anyway, between the actual move of the site and writing reviews both for the site and the magazine, Bill's probably got little time left to keep us updated here.

Rob T

Screenwriter
I find the Bits to be a bit laid back, but they do tend to get lots of release news, cover artwork and the odd article before anyone else does. :)
Did anybody else find that moving van picture they had up a little... disturbing? I certainly wouldn't want to hitch a ride with that Doogan character...

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I prefer TDB for the simple reason that it's easier to navigate. Everything's in one place. It's a hassle to find anything on DVDFile (though the latest search bar does help...)

Dharmesh C

Supporting Actor
DVDFILE is probably the best. Bits have slowed down, I hope the new reviewers will review tons of discs.

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
For my money, DVD File is the one stop place on the Web for all things DVD! They do a fantastic job. TDB used to be a great DVD site at one point, but as others have said, they are always late to the game as far as news, and they don't update nearly as often as they should. I don't go there anymore.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I still find "The Bits" to be among the most reliable and accurate source for news. I'd rather get information a day late and right. "The Bits", along with "The Big Picture", also seems to have a somewhat more professional "attitude" than some other sites, which can read like somebody's private hobby. While I also check other sites, I must say that "The Bits" is my favorite. And I given that they update it virtually every day - sometimes more than once - I'm not sure I understand the criticism that it's not updated often enough.
Anyway, I'm glad Bill and Co. are back. :D
Regards,
Joe

Sutjahjo Ngaserin

Stunt Coordinator
I think the website is good, but I have not been there for sometime now.

Still a little disappointed at Bill for being the strongest supporter of Region code restrictions in DVDs. My impression is that he feels non-American residents should be denied the full features and qualities of code 1 DVDs.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Of course, now THE BIG PICTURE charges a subscription fee. Yuck. I liked them, but they never had any information that I couldn't find elsewhere for free. Too bad.

I like TDB, even though they aren't updated nearly as often anymore. I like their style and their content.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks