Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Todd Erwin submitted a new blog post

Big Trouble in Little China Collector's Edition Blu-ray Review
BigTrouble-1024x576.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Good Lord, what a lot of bonus features. Do you recommend an upgrade from the old Blu?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Admittedly this may only be a disappointment to me, but I always felt that opening scene with Egg Shen basically giving the plot away was useless. On a director's commentary Carpenter revealed the studio found it confusing that Jack didn't seem all that heroic, and insisted they shoot that scene explaining to the audience that he was a hero. You know. Because we're dumb.

Anyway in the old BD release I could hit Chapter Forward once and get right to the opening credits just past the Egg Shen scene. To see the film as Carpenter intended (you're just introduced to this loud mouthed braggart and don't know what to make of him).

In this new disc, the chapter stops have been greatly reduced and Chapter 2 takes you well into the movie. :(

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Full disclosure: I did not do a true A/B, pause, still frame, screen cap comparison.

Since I was bummed out about the change in chapter stops (interestingly the original BD had 45, the new one has 12), I dug my old disc out.

Just quickly going back and forth between them (which was not an instantaneous switch since I have to eject, cue up and play) to my eyes I couldn't readily distinguish a difference between the two transfers. Not to say there isn't, I'm sure someone eventually will have comparison screencaps up. Just that in normal viewing from a distance, they both seemed to be very good transfers and I couldn't really tell one from the other.

So now I just combined all the discs in the steelbook packaging, I will use the original BD to skip the unnecessary prologue speech by Egg Shen, and use the other discs for their expanded extra features.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
In the photo for the review, I just have to note how beautiful Kim Catrell is, even in the heavy makeup.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
My next disc to get from Shout. I'm getting the set that has a poster & 45 record.
It should be fun to watch again. After all this time.

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
Love this movie! I have a 1:6 action figure of Jack Burton that I had Kurt Russell sign when I met him back in 2007. He had never seen one before and the girls from "Death Proof" were there and were teasing him because the pecs on the action figure were now not quite so prominent on the real Kurt.

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
Just remember what ol’ Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol’ storm right square in the eye and he says, “Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks