What's new

Best way to kill time on a plane? (1 Viewer)

brian a

Second Unit
I just got home from a business trip to Orlando and might be lining up another Japan trip in the not too distant future, and I started wondering what the best way to kill time on the plane is. I don't travel particularly well, so I'd do just about anything to make the trip a little easier. Some of the things I've done in the past:

read

crosswords

sleep (not too easy)

watch DVD's on my laptop (hard to hear and ~1 DVD/battery)

book on tape

What others have you guys found to work well for you?

Bill Balcziak

Supporting Actor
  • Write your dream girl's name over and over in a notebook
  • Give yourself an ink-pen tattoo
  • Practice disappearing coin tricks
  • Drink, drink, drink (it worked for Peter Buck!)
  • Update your resume
  • Write your resignation letter
  • Design a house
  • Make a list of things to do on a plane trip

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Oh, jeez. Another airplane thread. *run away* *run away* :D
I recommend reading or music or both.

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor
I travel quite a bit.

If you are stuck in coach then invest in two more laptop batteries. That should yield you 5+ hours of power. If you can get Business class then get an airplane power adapter. Most majors have this option in their triple 7s and 76s.

When you have the power situation solved there is no better way to kill time than a good strategy game.

I do that, work, and sometimes write DVD reviews for Obi's Reviews when on long plane trips.

Hope this helps.

brian a

Second Unit
Oh, jeez. Another airplane thread. *run away* *run away*
I did a search for 'airplane' and didn't see anything about killing time on a trip. Can you point me to the other threads? This one can go away if this has already been covered.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Make a list of things to do on a plane trip
Hahaha! :D
I usually buy a mag at the airport newsstand. Anything with HT, cars, videogames, or computers will keep me occupied for a while. Until I get bored again. hey doesn't jetBlue have DirecTV now?

Jagan Seshadri

Supporting Actor
Talk to an 85-year old woman about her extended family.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooo

-JNS

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Even if you get stuck in coach, on most international flights there are entertainment systems built into the seat backs. You should have several channels of (video taped, edited and cropped) movies and various video games. These help pass some of the time. I usualy take a good book, and there's also drinking the free booze and wondering what's for lunch.

When you go to Japan I reccomend flyng JAL over United or AA. You'll get better service and food. Seeing as its a business trip your company should at least spring for Business class where you'll be more comfortable and you'll have a chance to sleep.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Dave P :laugh: See you in 10 to 15 years pal!
On a serious note, if you have a GPS unit and a window seat, you can get some reception and then you can actually figure out what city you're flying near/over and how fast you're going and stuff. Altitude, if you don't get a good 3D fix on the satellites is going to be messed cause of the pressurization...
I've done this on a trip from Florida and the girl next to me thought it was a cell phone... but it must of been odd cause I wasn't talking on it.. :)
Jay

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Hi Brian. No, that was just a little inside joke. The other thread wasn't about passing time, but it was another airplane-oriented thread which which became somewhat heated and ended up covering a whole different subject. :)

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I second the GPS on the plane trick. It's actually pretty cool. With the small unit that I had, I had to point the antenna towards the window, but it did work.

2 words: GameBoy Advance

This little portable video game console has amazing color graphics and excellent 3rd party software support. Its price has dropped again recently to either $60 or $70, and games are around $30 each if I remember correctly. There are already all different types of games out, and with the right software and a flash memory card, you can even play old nintendo games on it!

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I would also agree that a travel power adapter is a good investment if you sit in a seating section that has ports for them.

Short of that, I've bought several games for my Palm that help pass the time quickly. However, unless you have one with a color screen, it can cause some serious eye strain.

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
I discovered that yoga in the nude seems to help pass the time. However, other passengers aren't interested in joining me and boy do they get ticked when I block the beverage service cart!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks