What's new

Best type of CD-Rs for DVD player use? (1 Viewer)

Todd K

Second Unit
Hi there, I have a Sony DVP-NC600. I plan to burn some VCDs onto some CD-Rs for use on the DVD player. I am wondering what brand I should buy. I have heard that not all brands work on all players, so I'm interested in what my best bet might be.

What brands have people here had success with? The only such medium I've used has been a Verbatim CD-RW, which worked fine, but I'd prefer CD-R and I don't know if the same brand will work with the non-rewritable kind.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Todd, I usually go with Sony brand CD-Rs. I used to use Imation, Memorex, and other cheap brands, but they would sometimes screw up. So I bought some more expensive Sony's and have never had a problem with them. I don't even consider any others!

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
If you take a look at either www.cdrfaq.org or the cd-r primer on Link Removed you'll see that it's the combination of the media and the player.
With that being said, I would certainly hope that Sony CD-R's are playable on Sony DVD/CD players! :)
I have a Pioneer Elite DV-05, and have had good luck with TDK and Fuji.
Memorex CD-RW's are junk.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I've had good luck with Maxell brand CD-Rs playing on my Sony DVP-300 player.

Todd K

Second Unit
Thanks for all your help, fellow citizens. Went out to a few stores yesterday, and found myself with a choice between Maxell and TDK. I chose the TDKs because they were on sale. I did a test burn last night and all seems to work well on the Sony player. I do appreciate the advice, though. My first stop was Office Depot, and all they had were memorex and imation, so I took a pass.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks