What's new
World Wide Stereo

Best Subwoofer for $700-800? (1 Viewer)

Legairre

Supporting Actor
If it's tight and natural then the Hsu VTF3-MKII is the way to go. I'd say go VTF3 HO, but there aren't any reviews yet(it's not out), but the good Dr. is known for sound quality so what the hell go VTF3 HO. With Hsu sound quality has always been Dr. Hsu's first priority.

728x90

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Looking at the measurements and overall looks, I am leaning toward the PB12-ISD. I want something shorter since the sub will be in a corner behind an end table. I kind of want it hidden a bit. The cylinders are taller than I thought.

I'll have to take a look at the Hsu.

I think you will be very happy with the PB12-ISD...i've had it and it was very good.

this is a good read between the PB12-ISD and the STF-2:
w w w.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=190398

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

See above. The SVS models are extremely clean, tight and natural, very accurate to the source.
Any sub can sound boomy and sloppy in a given room though, so you might consider an eq.

Jon_Liu

Stunt Coordinator
chalk me up for another recommendation on SVS. I've heard several top Velos and weren't happy with them. I went from originally owning a SVS 20-39PCi (which my brother bought off me) to a PC-Ultra. Great stuff!

For 600-650, the 25-39PCi and/or 20-39PCi is a GREAT fit. And if it's corner placement that you are looking for, the tubes fit perfectly into a corner! Of course, if you still like box subs more, go that route they fit in the corner pretty well too!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Actually, I cancelled my order.

Why? Well, I'm thinking about getting the 25-31 PC Plus. I'm thinking the taller size may not be so bad afterall (it will be in the back corner anyway).

With my large room size, I'm thinking it might be necessary. :)

SVS is telling me it's a big step above the other. Anyone get a chance to compare the two?

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
It is a big step and my rule of thumb is if you can afford it always go one bigger than you need.. then you never wonder.... what if?

Mike

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
"SVS is telling me it's a big step above the other."

Well, SVS would know best. I always thought the "Plus" line was about 2-3dB louder than the "ISD" line. That's a step up, but not a huge step up. They may also be considering the extra output you'll get from the higher tuning vs the PB12-ISD but that's a standard compromise between output and extention.

The Plus also has the block-a-port variable tuning which is an advantage if you don't mind losing 33% of your port area. But in this case I wonder if you wouldn't be better off buying a 20-39PCi and saving money rather than running a 25-31PC+ with a port blocked.

FWIW, I had a 25-31PC (original) for years in my open floorplan house and it was adequate, which is saying a lot considering the 6000+ cuft space it was in. I never felt like I was missing out on the sub-25Hz bass - that thing played low. I've now replaced it with an Infinite Baffle sub that has a lot more headroom and is virtually invisible in the living room. I find that it sounds a lot like the SVS - another big compliment to the SVS.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Ok....now I'm not sure whether I want/need the 25-31 PC-Plus or the 20-39 PC-Plus...or even a 20-39 PCi.

Again, my room is big and open; 18 foot ceilings, and about 4500 cubic ft. Also, my kitchen and foyer open into it.

However, I don't play DVDs real loud either.

I just want the deepest, tightest, natural bass....not necessarily the loudest.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you want deep bass, go with the 20-39 Plus. If I had a choice, that's what I would get. I was close to buying one actually, but I bought my buddy's sub instead.

mylan

Screenwriter
Just when I thought I had made my mind up to get an SVS box sub, I stumble across this thread......no wonder I never pull the trigger!

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I went with the 20-39 plus.

Done.

Final.

I figured since I was already spending about $700 (with tax and shipping), what's $200 more.

There will absolutely be NO second guessing on my part.

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
I have the PB12 plus in cherry and am very happy with it. You'll be glad you bought from SVS. They're great guys and their product is fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi0010
Recent bookmarks