What's new

Best speaker cable bang for the buck (Acoustic Research, Monster, (1 Viewer)

Boka

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to open the can of worms.

My options are below:

Acoustic Research 12AWG - about $0.80 a foot
Monster XPMS - about $0.50 a foot
Sound King 12AWG from partsexpress.com - about $0.35 a foot

This wire will be used on a HT system comprised of JBL studio series speakers and a 100W x 5 Pioneer receiver. Longest run is ~30ft for the surrounds.

Thanks for any help

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Boka,
I highly recommend the new versions of Audioquest. Cheap and effective. :)
Of the three listed, I have heard good things about Acoustic Research and Chu seems to like Sound King.
Lee

GordonL

Supporting Actor
The Monster and SoundKing wire are high strand-count, very flexible, rope braided, OFC wire. Not sure about the AR wire because I haven't seen it but I suspect it is also. The Home Depot wire is made by Carol and is low strand-count and very stiff. Sound quality-wise, it shouldn't make a difference but the HD wire just has a cheap quality look and feel about it. I recommend SoundKing because, of the zip cord style cables, it's the cheapest and you're not giving up anything in terms of sound or flexibility. If you believe wire topology/geometry makes a difference, try the Audioquest.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Do the color of the copper make a difference? I have both Radio Shack 12 guage MegaCable and the Home Depot 12 guage speaker cable in 2 separate system. I noticed the RS cable has much deeper copper color, whereas the HD cable's seem to fade over time (I had these for over 5 years by now).

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Don't tell me you're going to slice open the Cardas'? I've never heard of a fading color for copper, if anything I'd think there's always a chance that it might darken...turn green or something like that. But unless you've sprayed something like an enamel on the wire, you'll find in time, regardless of the purity, it'll chemically react with the environment around it. In any event, its a surface phenomena that will go down a few microns.

Well I can't let my friend Lee have the "you get what you pay for comment in without my own"

"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people."
PT Barnum

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks