Monster or Acoustic Research

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by TimB, Jun 24, 2004.

1. TimB

TimB Agent

Has anyone done any comparison between the sound produced by Acoustic Research interconnects vs Monster interconnects? What about speaker wire? I know the question is vague, but what if we narrowed it down to the AR Performance line vs. Monster 2.

Thanks for any inputs!

2. TimB

TimB Agent

Has anyone done any comparison between the sound produced by Acoustic Research interconnects vs Monster interconnects? What about speaker wire? I know the question is vague, but what if we narrowed it down to the AR Performance line vs. Monster 2.

Thanks for any inputs!

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Tim. Welcome to HTF!

Generally, interconnects dont make much of a difference for audio. This is even more true if you use a digital cable between your CD/DVD player and reciever. (Digital signals are very insensitive to the cables).

Speaker wires .. have somewhat of a influence, but not as much as commissioned sales people and slick advertisments would have you believe. (How much influence does a wine glass have on the taste of the wine?)

I dont think Monster makes any audio interconnect called "Monster 2". The audio interconnects have names like: "Interlink 100/300, Ultra and Zxxx. Were you mixing up the model numbers or were you thinking of "Interlink 400 Mk II"?

4. TimB

TimB Agent

Hey Bob,

You're absolutely right, for some reason I was combined my audio and video model numbers when I wrote the post.

I mean to say the Interlink 200 analog cables....

The monster 2 are the Component cables, and I know it's not audio related but are those better than the Acoustic Research component cable (performance line)?

As for the speaker wire, I'm looking at going with 12 guage wire as I will have some runs approximately 25 ft and some that are 8 ft, and I want to have consistency throughout the system.

Thanks for the quick reply!

5. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

I'd rate the Monster 2 series above the AR Performance series, but not by much and certainly not for almost twice the price. For slightly more than the Performance series, the AR Pro II series is a better cable than either of them. They have a silver coated center conductor usually only found in much more expensive cables.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Here is the problem: Monster does not release technical specs, nor does AR. So we cannot compare things like this:

[​IMG]

(Note: This is for 3 different models of Canare coax. You can see the trade-off from a company who is not afraid to publish technical specs).

Bob's Rule: If the packages does not say "HD Video", the cables are only designed for ordinary component video.

7. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

I use all AR cables and have tried a few Monster IC's as well. I tried a direct comparison between AR and Monster component video when I still had my 55" Mits WS TV. No difference what so ever. Don't waste your money on Monster.