Monster Cable 2.2 Speaker Wire -What's Inside the Network Canisters

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Chu Gai, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I recently posted how Transparent Audio uses a capacitor and a resistor in what's known as a Zobel configuration. For the price of a few dollars, very few, this resulted in a cable that lists at $530.

Transparent though is but one of many companies using such an approach of hiding simple, inexpensive components that either solve non-existant problems or do nothing at all in order to prey on a consumer's expectations while lightening their wallet. Today, we look at Monster Cable's 2.2 speaker wire.

[​IMG]

At about $500/pair for a ten foot length, Monster states that this is "Precision Audiophile Speaker Cable Incorporates Monster’s Finest Technologies" and that "M2.2s incorporates our Monster Network Terminator™, specially designed to terminate cable in its characteristic impedance to compensate for the inductive properties that all speakers exhibit at high frequencies."

For a rather fun read on this approach to speaker wire impedance and its non-relevance, please enjoy the following from Fred Davis, an AES Fellow and researcher.

Well Tom Nousaine has dissected the 2.2's and this is what he found. Each end had canisters that were separately labled as speaker and amplifier. He unscrewed the amplifier end and found another canister. This was cut open using a dremel tool which was also used to cut away some epoxy like material. After all that what he found was nothing. Just the wire.

At the other end he found a 1-3 watt, 100 ohm resistor wired across the terminals. The net audible effect is zero, nada, zilch and even if were to burn out, a rather distinct possibility, you'd never know.

I invite those interested to go run on down to the Shack and get various resistors to try this for themselves. You might want one with higher wattage because it won't take much to fry a 1 watt job.

Just think, rather than being insulted by being filched by Monster, you can buy 20 feet of speaker wire for about $10, and use the extra $490 where you can purchase a bargain vacation to Paris and be insulted by professionals. At least the bread and pastry is good.

2. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Some of this stuff goes beyond chicanery, into the realm of just plain fraud. Particularly that "Transparent Audio" thing! I can say it is fraud due to expert testimony: I happen to own a book on electronics which mentions just such a high-cut filter with the statement that such a crude apparatus is wholly unsuitable for use as a tone control in even the cheapest audio equipment, much less for any related purpose. I think that some companies may well be liable for selling such things, if only the buyers are willing to admit they've been gulled [which they often are not, a sort of "reverse sticker shock"].
    Oh, and the Monster "impedance-matched" thing would be useless even if it were for real [i.e., worked as advertised]. The frequency-dependent inductive load of a speaker coil owes a great deal to the fact that the mass of the moving element keeps it from responding to higher frequencies, so the energy goes into EMF instead of mechanical form. This is why we have crossovers and multiple sizes of speaker. If someone actually were to put a frequency-dependent capacitance into the circuit, so as to keep the inductance a pure resistive 8 [or what have you] ohms over the whole frequency range, it would just mean a higher power dissipation in the amplifier, more heat generated at the speaker, and a steady roll-off of amplitude with frequency. Real useful, I don't think. [​IMG] Surely audiophiles have some grasp of the basic physics of their systems?

3. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

I take issue to the fact that certain people don't even know what equipment they have.

"Oh that guy at that shop up there at X and Y suited us up with these killer speakers"

"What kind are they?"

"Well they're big and black...and we have a whole bunch of boxes to make the stuff work, and lots of pretty wires".

[​IMG]

Even some people who I know well and who have some interest in HT can't name every single component they have and all the interconnects connecting it all. Not to sound like an absolute nerd, but if you're passionate about this at all, you should at least know what you have. Then worry about how it all works.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Oh – my - gosh! Where are the hungry lawyers when you need them? [​IMG]

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Lee Distad

Lee Distad Stunt Coordinator

Chu, the pictures in the Transparent Audio thread last week were extremely insightful. Have you got pictures of the 2.2 wire to go along with your source?

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Nope, but I'm looking. This is what Nousaine found.