What's new

Best place to buy a Sony VPL-HS10 LCD projector? (1 Viewer)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
From the discussions over at the (other) big forum [hint - AVS] it looks like this is one heck of a bang vs. buck 16x9 HDTV-ready LCD projector (it can do full 720p resolution and is closer to 1080i than most 7" CRT RPTV's and FPTV's can muster-- and upconverts to progressive scan) to get a front projector newbie off dead-center.

I'm not saying it's the best (Texas Instrument's new HD2 DLP chip-type black level it doesn't have obviously, it has some small idiosyncrasies with its 1:1 pixel mapping and computer scalers, and fewer options), but at least it seems to sit somewhere between a Sony 11HT and 12HT widescreen LCD projector in overall picture quality and contrast range and retails for $2,999. But includes an HDCP compliant DVI-D input, which these other Sony projectors do not have.

Considering its price vs. performance (and the fact I can project a large image) I'm thinking about this as my next upgrade over a 57" Hitachi SWX20B RPTV.

My question is this (since I supposedly can't ask this over on AVS):

For those in the front projection "know," where do you think would be the best place that sells Sony projectors to buy this in terms of discounted pricing and service (like zero dead pixel policies, loaners, easy to talk to reps, etc.)? Online, or via phone order (if it's a brick 'n' mortar store).

Thanks a bunch!

I understand it's hard to come by right now, but hopefully will be going into wide distribution soon. I'm getting excited!!

Dan

Darren Mortensen

Stunt Coordinator
Dan,
I am not sure about posting such information here, so this may get censored by the Higher Powers...
I purchased my Sony LCD from a company in California at www.presentingsolutions.com I worked with a gentleman over the phone by the name of Scott Hall. He was EXTREMELY helpful with my needs and questions. The SONY VPL -VW10HT is notorious about having stuck pixels new outta the box. I had Scott have his technicians open my box prior to shipping and test the unit. Mine arrived in perfect working order. I also bought my 153"DaLite screen from them.
I made many a call and email for qoutes. Scott's prices literally saved me about $1500.00:emoji_thumbsup:

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I can't help to answer your question but I have another question. What is the reason for the snail-pace rollout? As I understand it, there was some kind of problem and they are releasing them in limited quantities. You are right though about bang for the buck. Actually, the resolution is a bit better (1388x788) on this unit than the more expensive 12HT (1366x768) although it does not apply MLA technology.

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Darren:

153" Screen-Dude that is huge. That's like the John Holmes of screens. We need to have an KC HT meet at your house!!! My screen is 106". I'm suffering from screen size envy.

Ron (south of the Plaza) Boster

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Keep on track, guys. Keep on track. ;)
Back to the regularly scheduled tread...
Darren, thanks for the tip! I'll have to contact them to see when they'll be selling it.
More suggestions, please!
Thanks again.
Dan
P.S. I personally believe that the AVS Forum mods censor threads on who has the best price and service for such and such a product because (not surprisingly) that forum is attached to an actual retailer. I don't think they want people to know if the competition can beat their pricing. :D

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I would suggest visiting projectorcentral.com

They have a great search engine to compare your projector to others in its price/feature range. Plus, they're NOT a vendor.

They DO have a 'get bid' feature that puts your business up for bid. Like a reverse e-bay!

The vendor I used got me a system for 20% less than suggested retail. He offered me an extended warranty that covered some of the features you mentioned.
(Carl at Projectorsuperstore.com)

I would suggest though, that for service you stick w' brick&mortar. Nothing better than face to face for that.
If price and choice is important, go online. If service is important, go local.

If you go local, use yahoo shopping to get some published prices. Print then, (make sure to include shipping costs) and take them with you. Use them for negotiating power. Brick&mortar won't match the online price, but they will likely reduce their's a fair amount (including shipping)
Worked for me at Circut City w my Velodyne 15" sub.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Dan:

Another place to check is with the guys at TV Authority that are sponsors of this site. Give Jason a call at TV Authority and tell him that you are interested in this model and see what kind of price he can do for you. Tell him the prices that you are getting elsewhere on the net, etc. and see if he can match it. I know they have excellent after the sale help and customer service.

Besides if you buy from them it helps support HTF by supporting our sponsor.

Darren:

I agree that those of us in the KC area need to get together
over at your house sometime so we can see that 153" screen in action.

Parker

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks