What's new

Best outdoor speakers? (1 Viewer)

Marc Go

Agent
Any suggestions on a couple of outdoor speakers for my deck? I will hook them up to my "B" switch on my Onkyo 595 receiver. I was looking at Polk, Boston Accoustics, and Bose. Any suggestions? Also how tough is it to run wire outside, can I use the same 12 gauge speaker wire that I bought at Home Depot? I was actually thinking of having a professional install the wire and mount the speakers. Does anyone leave the speakers out all year (we are in NJ). THANKS!!

Thomas_A

Second Unit
I bought some infinity outrigger jr's for my back patio..cause they sounded pretty good and were not expensive. I will be upgrading them to either the Atrium 55's or the ct85 by polk.... I have not heard them yet but will audtion before buying.
I'd stay away from the bose...you can find better for the same price. Bostons are killer...
As far as the wire goes... I used 12g that I got for inwall from home depot..works fine..my will stay out all year long too...
anway good luck
------------------
So far, So good, So what
Link Removed
http://thomas2307.homestead.com/thomasworld.html

Joseph_W

Stunt Coordinator
Marc,
Believe it or not, I'd check out Radio Shack. They used to sell a small speaker (black or white) $99 apiece and go on sale to $79 frequently. Mine are 14 years old and have survived two teenagers and get used a lot. I leave them out all year, but they are protected from rain.
I found out about them on a board similar to this one.
Joe

Jin E

Second Unit
I bought a pair of Zenith outdoor speakers last night that were on clearance at Lowes for $14.95. DO they sound good? Not compaired to my inside setup. They are definitly not HiFI... a bit on the bright side for my tastes... almost to the point of being harsh. You will not get Hifi sound no matter what speaker you get outside... there is just too much ambient noise and you are trying to fill too large an area with sond from a relativly small speaker. I would suggest getting the most attractive speaker that will go well with our decor. Check out what's availible at Lowes though... they carry some neat outdoor speakers (an acoustic research stuff!).
------------------
-Jin
My Theater

Vin

Supporting Actor
Check out these two models of outdoor speakers by JBL . The smaller N24AWs come with brackets, the larger N26AWs don't.
------------------

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
I would check out Niles OS-10's or 20's. Sonance also makes a great outdoor speaker-the Mariner series. If you are not situated perfectly for stereo separation, you may want to consider mono summing speakers, which combine the channels to give all information out of the single speakers. We have done this in many residences and businesses.
------------------
Link Removed
My Home Theater Pics
My Equipment List
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
I can recommend Boston Acoustics.
------------------
http://darius.mobius-soft.com/~andrea/ht/

Jay_E

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a pair of NHT OutdoorOne speakers about a month ago and I can highly recommend them. They are fairly small for having a 6 1/2" woofer. The bass is outstanding. They retail for $400/pr. but can be found for much less.
Jay

Gil D

Supporting Actor
I also highly recommend the NHT OutdoorOne. They can be had for around $200 a pair shipped. Search the forum for OutdoorOne.
Boston Acoustics Grand Voyager is also good and perhaps better build but for alot more $. I plan on bringing my outdoor speaks in for the winter since I can't hear much with the snowblower running anyway :)
Now I just need an Outdoor Sub for the boom boom dance music, but the NHT's do have decent bass output for an outdoor speaker (unlike alot of other outdoor models out there) mainly due to the 6.5" woofs.
I like the OutdorOnes so much that I bought just a pair of it's indoor brother SuperOne Xu. Both come with base and mounting bracket too.

Jay_E

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Gil,
I bought the SuperOne's based on your input in a previous thread. Thanks for the tip. I also bought a pair of SuperOne Xu speakers for indoors from the classified listing on this forum. They also sound great. My only complaint is that the mounting brackets are pretty cheap. They don't work well at all for mounting horizontally. At the $200/pr. price I don't think you can beat the OutdoorOne.
Jay
[Edited last by Jay_E on September 01, 2001 at 10:10 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks