What's new

Best non-solder Bananna Plugs??? (1 Viewer)

John Cain

Second Unit
What do folks here feel are the best non-solder bananna plugs?? And where would you recommend I get some??

I want to use them for speaker wire connections to my pre/pro.

Many thanks!!

-- John

Anthony Stephan

Stunt Coordinator
Radio Shack has some good gold ones that are connected so that they plug in together (L&R).

But I also really like the ones that Home Depot sells. I think they have an RCA logo on them. They are separate but a plastic cover hides the screw terminal making it look very professional.

David Cohn

Grip
My vote goes to the Radio Shack #278-306.

$5.99 for a pair; easily installed*; looks good; sounds fantastic!

Don't forget to add a wire stripper ... they have several that will strip any gauge in a flash.

* Actually, I'm embarrassed to say it took me some detective work to get these connected properly to Monster Cable 12 gauge wire. After searching this forum I was able to find an excellent resource for banana plugs.

Brian Schucher

Supporting Actor
Partsexpress sells Dayton Audio gold banana plugs that i like very much.. I like em better than the RCA/Monster?RatShack

John Cain

Second Unit
Thanks Guys..

Do any of these allow you to put the wire into the end of the plug, not into the side of the plug???

-- John

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
Some take the wire at the end, such as the RCA that was mentioned above. Also, the Monster QuickLock that looks to be well made. The RCA anchors the wire with TWO set screws!

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
I liked the RS 278-306 too until I found that they were not holding tight on any size wire I had them on. They would not pull off but if I tried to twist them while holding the wire tight, they were clearly not making as tight of a connection that I thought they were.

So, I went with the RS dual banana 278-308 for my speakers (these are the ones the wires come in from the sides) and crimped the RS 278-307 for use at my receiver and amp connections. (The 278-307 also locks into place and can be soldered if you want.) These 2 connectors have made much tighter connections for me in my systems.

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
What are oppinions of AR AP307 banana plugs? $9 at BestBuy:
http://www.bestbuy.com/Detail.asp?m=...803&e=11054075
How about the Monster QuickLock twist on bananas? $20 at BestBuy: http://www.bestbuy.com/Detail.asp?m=...803&e=11074639
(would be happy to find where I can get them cheaper :) )
As for the crimp type bananas, what is the crimping mechanism? Could they be sufficiently crimped with a pair of pliers, or is a special crimper required? Who would have thought it'd be so hard to find a decent set of connectors that won't break the bank :crazy:
Thanks,
-- Dave

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
AR bananas: Wire held by single set screw. Plastic boot. Single set screw doesn't seem secure to me. RCA bananas use two set screws.

QuickLock: Uses what I call a "Screw-in Cone Crimp." Similar to the Radio Shack, in that you put the wire through a removable, hollow collar and then screw it into the banana piece so the end of the wire is crimped. Seems very secure. I haven't actually used the QuickLock, but have examined it closely. Only problem is $5 per plug, vs. $3 for Radio Shack.

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
Marc,
Just to be sure, which RadioShack bananas are you refering to, the 278-306? The RS site doesn't say, but for those who have used the 278-306, does the set have one red and one black, or do they both have a red band?
I certainly agree that $5/connector is alot of money, especially since I will soon have a need for 20 of them. And I'm sure I could put the $40 difference to good use elsewhere, like in the wire ;)
-- Dave

Craig

Second Unit
I found the Radio Shack bananas had a snugger fit in my Sony receiver and Mirage speakers. Both the Acoustic Research and RCA plugs were looser, I much preferred the RS plugs.

MarcVH

Second Unit
When you say the screw-in AR plugs don't seem secure, do you mean you are concerned that the wire could pull out of the plug, or that the electical contact isn't as strong as it could be?

RyanDinan

Stunt Coordinator
I used the AR's and Radio Shack banana's. The AR's i got at Lowes, and look identicle to the RS ones. Since the AR's were sold as 2 pairs for $7 (4 plugs), I needed to get one more set....So I went to RS - Which were more expensive....but oh well.
These bananas are the 2-piece screw-on crimp type - gold plated, and no rubber boots... The wire goes through a clylindrical collar. At the end of this collar, you bend the end of the bare wire over its threaded lip, then secure it by screwing on the banana plug cap. I like to kinda spread (fray) the bare wire around the lip a bit. Not only does this make it easier to screw on the cap, but it seems to give it more surface area to hold the wire in place....Plus, the instructions recommend it as well ;)
They work great, and seem like they're very high quality. Which is why the price surprised me.
At the other ends of my wire (speaker end) I conected AR binding pins (gold plated, set-screw, with black/red rubber boots), since my speakers only have binding posts...
-Ryan Dinan

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
Could you supply the model number of these ARs? They are different from the ARs I bought at Best Buy, which use a set screw and a plastic boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks