What's new

Best Live Performance by a Rock Band? (1 Viewer)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Who gave the best live performance of any concert that you have been to?

I have seen MANY concerts over the years, and some of the best live performances I experienced were:

1. Pink Floyd (need I say more?)

2. Paul McCartney (World Tour '89, the man has TALENT!)

3. Boston (1987 Tour, sounded just like the CD!)

4. Steve Miller Band (Tons of energy at his concert, great

voice, and great guitar player!)

5. Yes (late 1980's, each member excels at his instrument!)

G Miller

Stunt Coordinator
i have seen a few live shows, but my personal fav is the pearl jam concert on 1994 at the Sydney Myer Music Bowl in Australia. That show just blew my mind...probably because i was front row.

In terms of the most outrageous concert, id say the U2 Popmart show was just huge!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Some of the best shows:

The Kinks

Cheap Trick

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Eric Clapton

B.B. King

Rolling Stones

Bob Dylan

Van Halen

Talking Heads

Probably the best concerts I ever saw were the two US Festivals (3 days each), especially the first one.

James RD

Supporting Actor
Interesting, george. In '69 B.B.King opened for the Stones. And he followed Ike and Tina Turner.

Must agree on The Kinks and Talking Heads. I also liked Cream, Van Morrison, The Who, David Bowie, early Jethro Tull, The Jeff Beck Group just to name a handful. And for weird fun - Devo!

Jim_F

Screenwriter
The J. Geils band put on a great party of a concert-even live recordings can't capture that energy. I've seen some great Tull shows, and the Yes show after Yessongs is right up there.

But my favorite all-time show was when Flo and Eddie opened for Zappa, them came out for Zappa's last encore to do some old Mothers material. That was great!

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
The all around best live act I've seen would have to be Van Halen. I saw them at Sandstone in KC on their 1995 Balance tour. Man, they had it going on. Spectacular light show, outstanding stage presence, and they kicked ass musically. To me, having those qualities is what makes a concert great.

If we're simply talking about the performance only, than I would have to say Rush. They are always incredibly tight, and there live music seems to have a magical kind of flow to it. If you've never seen them live, I highly reccomend checking them out.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
In my 30+ years of life I have never been to an actual concert. Although I did see Chuck Berry :emoji_thumbsup: at the Rhode Island 350 Celebration. Chuck was great but the sound system was pretty poor and only those close to the stage where able to hear the thing any good. Not many got as close as I did as there where 300,000 people or so there night. I believe the band that played before him was Tommy James and the Shondells? Whoever it was they sucked ass:thumbsdown:

Brad_W

Screenwriter
KISS
The best ROCK show... ever.
I saw them on their last tour, completely awesome.

Jeff_Krueger

Stunt Coordinator
Well I haven't been to too many concerts but I would have to say that when I saw the Black Crowes with Jimmy Page that was pretty sweet plus Kenny Wayne Shepard opening also rocked.

Also saw U2 on their recent tour, though I can't compare to any over their other concerts it was a very good show IMO

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Although my musical taste has been shifting in my later years, I have been to quite a few shows (Grateful Dead, Dire Straits, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Brian Setzer, Eric Clapton, The Who, REM, and I was supposed to see Led Zeppelin in 1980 but the tour was cancelled due to Bonzo's death :frowning: ) But by far the best (and I hate to jump on the bandwagon) was KISS. Unbelievable show!

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Billy Joel --- last one because he played more obscure stuff

The Guess Who--- never thought I's see them live, although I've seen BC many a time.

Gowan--- back when Strange Animal was big. His energy is amazing.

Melissa Etheridge--- Brave a Crazy tour

Amanda Marshall --- I saw her 11 times before her firt album was released once since... WHY? She doen't have the same energy, and she doen't use her LOUD voice much ... If you saw her in the ol d days you'll understand.

Brent L

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I forgot to mention the Bus Boys. They used to play at Knott's Berry Farm of all places, and we'd go there just to see them. One hell of a show.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Kiss was the first band I remember liking - my dad took me and my brother to see Kiss at Madison Square Garden in 1977. I was in the 3rd grade, he was in Kindergarden.I remember it like it was yesterday.

The best "live" band Ive seen was Accept opening for Kiss in 83 - Wow! Absolutely amazing band.My step brother took us, he was a Accept fan and I was converted after that. I cant think of a more underrated guitarist than Wolf Hoffman. One of my 10 favorites.

Also really outstanding live:

Death '95

MegaDeth '91

DRI '94? (Talk about a tight band)

The band I really wish I could have seen live(besides Led Zep and Blck Sabbath)was Voivod when they were in their prime.

George,

I remember listening to the US Festival on the radio - what a great 3 days of music. I taped the whole thing.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Dave Matthews Band consistently puts on outstanding performances.

Other great live shows:

U2

Rolling Stones

PS-

I saw KISS, and although I only knew a couple of the songs, the show was very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks