What's new

best DVD (sounding) (1 Viewer)

Binh Vu

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I'm new here, I just finished my HTS few days ago. And I'd like to know what DVDs come with the best sounds? I prefered action movies.
Thanks a lot

Gary Kellerman

Stunt Coordinator
Currently, BLACKHAWK DOWN has an amazing Dolby Digital surround sound track. I also like:
PEARL HARBOR: Battle scenes; D.D. and DTS track on same disc
SAVING PRIVATE RYAN: D.D. and DTS versions are on separate discs. The Normandy Beach landing and the battle between Tom Hank's soldiers and the German Soldiers with their Panzer tanks should rock your HT system.
THE PHANTOM MENACE: Listening to this one will speak for itself especially with the superb EX track. The Pod Race and Light Saber duels are incredible.
THE MATRIX: While the sound of the whole film is good, you will be pleased by the helicopter/machine gun sequence. One of the "top ten" pieces of surround sound I ever heard is near the end of the film where NEO dives into the body of agent Smith and destroys Smith by breaking up his body into pieces that fly at you on the screen. You can actually feel the breakup of his body fly through your own body. An incredible piece of surround sound engineering.

Brian_L_Kleis

Stunt Coordinator
In addition to the prior comments, the U-571 disk sounded great on my old sound system. Though the movie itself wasn't the "Citizen Kane of sub attack films", the sound in our 5.1 system was amazing.... Damn ex, takes the speakers - takes the DVD, damn it....

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Dolby Digital 1.0 mono: Citizen Kane
Dolby Digital 2.0 mono: It Happened One Night and Young Frankenstein
Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo surround: Lawrence of Arabia
Dolby Digital 5.1 (original mix): Star Wars, The Phantom Menace
Dolby Digital 5.1 (remixed from mono): Tie for Monty Python and the Holy Grail and Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and North By Northwest
Dolby Digital 5.1 (remixed from stereo): Superman: The Movie

DTS 5.1 (remix): Fantasia
DTS 5.1 (original mix): Moulin Rouge!

PCM 2.0 stereo: City Lights (Carl Davis re-recording)

I made these choices based on fidelity, mixing quality (remixes)and enjoyment. I decided to split everything up into categories since mono simply can't be compared with 5.1 surround. Any times it is, mono is always called "bad"

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
I literally JUST finished watching "The Haunting" in DTS-ES (discrete). I had heard that this was a reference quality audio disk but had avoiding getting it because I wasn't overwhelmed with the movie.

HOLEEE CUH-RAPP!!!!

There is HUGE low bass in this thing and several simply jaw-dropping audio effects throughout. Plenty of beautifully layered audio moments with elegant details. It's not just a decibel fest.

PLUS lots and lots and LOTS of surround activity. Audio design genius Gary Rydstrom really outdid himself with this puppy.

And I was listening 15dB below reference level. At reference level, this must be a skull crusher.

This now easily supplants U-571 as my No. 1 HT audio demo disk.

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
I just watched Rules of Engagement and had forgotten how great the sound was in this movie. Definitely in the top ten best sounding discs.

Binh Vu

Stunt Coordinator
aarrrgggg, thanks alot! I guess I'll have to check out The Phantom Menace, U-571 and Terminator 2 this long weekend then. Nothing better than checking out and enjoy your new system in 4 days off work :)

James L White

Supporting Actor
I'm amazed noone brought up The Fast And The Furious
it blows away any soundtrack I've heard including Ep 1, Jurassic Park III also has a nice track, as far as older movies go Superman: The Movie is also great

kevin_asai

Stunt Coordinator
Superman: The movie

Mods, could you please merge this kinda thread because there were already too many.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad to see Superman on the list as this one tends to get overlooked.

Marty Christion

Stunt Coordinator
Of all the DVD's I own, Fight Club is the one that has excellent sound in every regard.
The dialog: perfect.
The music: perfect.
The sound effects: perfect.
The mix: perfect.
The DVD presentation: perfect.
What's weird, is I rented Fight Club and The Game on the same night, but I didn't know they were both directed by David Fincher. After being blown away by Fight Club, I was 20 minutes into The Game before I commented on how great this movie sounded as well. It wasn't until I watched the trailer for Fight Club that I saw it was the same director. Moral of the story: I recommend The Game as well.
Be careful about judging a film's "sound quality" by only one factor. If you judge "sound quality" solely on the basis of, say, surround activity, it would be like judging art quality by the prevalence of the color blue in a picture. Sound is a discipline with many dimensions, and they must all be balanced to create a quality soundtrack.

Axel Wolfe

Auditioning
Dragon Heart
super speedway
fast and the furious
Eagles , Hell freezes over
Saving private ryan
Gone in 60 seconds
the haunting
I use sceens from these movies to name a few, that i use when testing new equipment.

Danton

Grip
I have to add The Fifth Element to the above lists. This movie kicks butt in DD and the picture quality is one of the best I've seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks