What's new

best dorm room tv (1 Viewer)

Brice

Stunt Coordinator
Just want to know if anyone has any suggestions for a good tv for a dorm room for a ht. Suggested flat screen (

JustinP

Stunt Coordinator
I've had a 27" Sony WEGA (model KV27FS12) that's served me perfectly in a dorm and college apartment for the past two years. I got mine off eBay for about $420, it's a good way to save money on a set you otherwise might not be able to afford. I'd definitely recommend the Sony for the 16:9 squeeze function which really enhances DVD viewing. Hope this helps.

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I'd reccomend getting a 24" rather than a 27". I have a 27" Samsung Dynaflat. I lived on the first floor and the thing was still a pain to move. Also, I lived in a suite so we still had plenty of space. If you're going to be in a normal sized room, definitely get a 24" instead of a 27". The difference in screen size is not that big and I think you'll be thanking yourself at move out time. Having said that, I don't think the 24" Sony sets do the squeeze from a user menu, only a service menu. Lastly, I'm gonna say just the opposite of Justin P and reccomend NOT buying your set online from ebay or an etailer. A TV is a very delicate item(especially a flat screen set). If it gets bumped in shipping, all kinds of things can go wrong. Buy it from a good local vendor(avoid the best buy/circuit city type stores if possible)with a good return/exchange policy. That way, if your set has issues you can exchange it or if you decide you want a different set you can do so.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
The Akai 27" flatscreen (which is an exact clone of the the Samsung 27" flatty) has gotten pretty good reviews, and it runs around $370 or so. It doesn't seem to have as many geometry problems as the Wegas do, and it has similar features (anamorphic squeeze). It is available at Sams Club.

One word of caution on the flatscreen TVs though: they are a bit heavier, so if you're going to have to haul it up 8 flights of stairs to get to your room, make sure you have your roomate there to help.

A 27" is perfect to start with in a dorm. If you move into an apt later in college and want something bigger, the 27 would make a perfect bedroom/kitchen set. 24" will start to look small quick.

Mike Kao

Second Unit
Yea I think 27" would be perfect. I also happen to use the Wega KV27FS12 for my dorm and although it is heavy and a pain to move, who cares? You only have to move it in and out and in the end it will definitely be worth it!

BobJ

Stunt Coordinator
Lastly, I'm gonna say just the opposite of Justin P and reccomend NOT buying your set online from ebay or an etailer. A TV is a very delicate item(especially a flat screen set). If it gets bumped in shipping, all kinds of things can go wrong. Buy it from a good local vendor(avoid the best buy/circuit city type stores if possible)with a good return/exchange policy. That way, if your set has issues you can exchange it or if you decide you want a different set you can do so.
:emoji_thumbsup:
Have to agree with this. You want the ability to return it without having to pay nasty return shipping fees. 27" flat screens weigh around 100 pounds.

Wow, the Sony 27" Wega must be a popular choice among college students, as I have one as well. It was a pain to move, but everyone knew where to go if they just wanted to sit back, drink a beer, and watch a DVD. I've since moved out of the dorms, and the 27" fills my apartment living room nicely. In the fall, however, I'll be moving into a house, and will finally be able to get the RP HDTV I've been looking at...

JustinP

Stunt Coordinator
Let me ammend what I said earlier.

Maybe I shouldn't have recommend eBay since I was actually able to find a seller that was 15 minutes away from USC, so I picked my set up. Flat screens are a bastard to move because of their weight, especially the KV27FS12 because of the weird (and difficult to grip) plastic moulding at the bottom of the set. Nevertheless, it can be moved long distances by one (I'll never do it by myself again) or preferably two people, and you'll find most people are generally willing to help in the move so they can watch it later.

Good luck with the purchase.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
If you can get a bigger, quality set, that isn't a flat screen, go for it.

Have you ever actually noticed or been annoyed by the curve of a medium-sized set? I haven't. Especially consdering most of todays sets don't have a terrible curve at all.

I'm not saying shy away from a flatscreen, but don't buy one just because it's 'cool' Just buy a good TV set.

Should be able to get a 32" Tosh for that price. Much better investment than a 24" Sony Wega, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks