What's new

Best Buy Rewardzone now $5 every $150 spent (not $125)! (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well here's the old bait-n-switch. I renewed my membership this year after my free first year (and getting $180 in rewards for that year + $10 in certs for renewing it totally made sense.

Logging onto the RZ site, though, you get a popup saying to check the new rules (and offers) and when you click on the rules, it now says you get a $5 cert for every 15,000 points (=$150 spent) rather than the old amount of 12,500.

:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Still spend enough there that this makes sense to me (and after I get those 2 $5 certs for renewing it effectively makes my renewal free) but shouldn't they have to send out some mass mailing informing people of the change?

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Actually, that is a really poor thing to do. It's a major change to the program, and at LEAST it warrants a direct contact rather than counting on you to find it yourself.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Great. So now we get 3.33% back instead of 4%? It's becoming less of an incentive. I wouldn't have renewed if I had known they were going to do that. In fact, since they accepted my money in order to join the program (or in this case renew), they shouldn't be able to change those kinds of terms without notification.

Everyone who is a RZ member, go to the RZ site and file a complaint. Make sure they know that this isn't right.

EDIT: I did some quick math. Best Buy would have saved $35 over the first year just on me ($180 instead of $215) if they had gone with $150 instead of $125 originally. It adds up and I'm sure the suits realized it. But the 4% already was lower than usual for programs like this. Aren't most reward programs at a 5% return?

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I'm not renewing unless I get another free card or give me the gift certificate immediately. They can bite my ass . . . secretly changing it like that.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Well, I understand the delay in issuing certificates. They wait until after the return period on purchases are over before finalizing the point total, which makes sense.

Also, they appear to now be offering to send the certificates via email. They also are adding a one-time 5000-point bonus for switching to the email option.

Still, the change is lousy, but since I already renewed last week, I'll still use it till it expires. Although, it's really impossible for me not to make a "profit" on the RewardZone deal. I can't see myself spending less than $450/year at Best Buy. That's only 2 DVDs per month.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I am gonna check to see if I have any of the original terms of agreement info to see if they can do this. I think they should have to honor the $125 deal until my current card expires.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well, since my renewal was essentially free (thanks to Andrea), I'm not gonna get too upset over this change. But it will definitely be a factor when I consider renewing next year, unless it's "free" again.

I have drastically cut my Best Buy purchases in the past year anyway, so won't make much of a difference in the number of certs I eventually get.

jian

Agent
I hate bait and switch ploys. I definitely won't be renewing, unless they offer a freebee again.

Chuck_W

Second Unit
I guess we asked for this change in policy. According to the letter I received, the change was made "based on member feedback and Best Buy's desire to continue to bring you this affordable and popular program." Evidently the member feedback indicated we wanted less for more.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Malcolm, since my renewal was "free" (the certs just got generated) I'm not going to get too upset.

But if next year's isn't free, I will definitely have to look at how many certs I earned this coming year and see if it's worth it to renew.

:thumbsdown: on the bait and switch.

Even credit cards who reserve the right to fluctuate APR warn you with letters before doing it. :thumbsdown:

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I'm good through July of next year. Even though the renewal cost me $9.99, it's still a valid form of savings considering I buy most all my DVDs from BB.

Within the last 14 months I've earned $210 back. Not a bad deal for $9.99 and for some of, if not, the best DVD street date pricing around.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

Chuck, when did you get this? If and when I do, I will definitely be sending them a reply, especially after I just emailed them asking to make the program MORE customer-friendly.

Chuck_W

Second Unit
I just received the letter in today's mail. To Best Buy's credit it does look like they are trying to smooth the transition by giving some freebie points - the letter states that "All active members" will receive a one-time bonus of 2500 points to "help you reach your next reward faster". They say this is an "anniversary present" (I guess the program is ending its first year) and I should look for the adjustment on 11/9/04.

It's a nice bonus and makes up the difference between the old 12,500 and new 15,000 point levels.

Jimmy M

Second Unit

And today is 9/1... Two months and a week to get the free "anniversary present?" I'm glad I'm not that timely when I give birthday presents and so on.

Jimmy!

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I just got my "anniversary present" letter today.

Some good news on it for Best Buy credit card holders....

From 10/1 to 12/31/2004, RZ purchases made on the BB credit card will receive 1500 bonus points, limit one bonus per day.

This is great for me, since I already put all my BB purchases on the credit card, because of the nice 3-months same as cash default on all purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks