What's new

Best bookshelves for ~$1000 used or new?? (1 Viewer)

Keir H

Second Unit
Looking a musical bookshelf speakers and would like something that I would not have to pay crazy prices for stands. I have a HK PA5800 amp in a small room with an SVS 22-31. Wanting to crossover around 65hz maybe. THanks for the imput! Oh yes, must be able to keep up with HT scores too.

stephen_z

Stunt Coordinator
There are a few of us who are Triangle Titus 202 fans ($495/pair MSRP). Front ported, cross-overless design, high efficiency (92dB), midrange to die for, goes down to 60Hz. Some may characterize them as slightly bright (long burn-in time ~100 hrs), but they are very emotionally engaging when it comes to jazz, classical, and vocals. Check the posts on www.audioasylum.com. Sam Tellig of Stereophile also rates it highly.

Jason_Me

Stunt Coordinator
I have Klipsch RB5.II (retails for around $800), hooked up to a H/K AVR-8000. The combination is wonderful. Detailed, clear, and never fatiguing.

There are numerous high quality bookshelf speakers in the sub $1000 price range. Audition as many as you can find.

Henry_W

Stunt Coordinator
With your sub for the good fill, you may want to consider new or used (my preference) Klipsch Heresy II. The speaker is very efficient, handles the highs and mids very well and has consistent woofer sound that (I think) lets you set sub up for consistent quality. You will spend $400 (used) up to $1,100 (new) a pair.

Problems: Some folks just don't care for horns and these things are right at the edge of what would be considered a bookshelf speaker due to their larger size.

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
Looking a musical bookshelf speakers and would like something that I would not have to pay crazy prices for stands.
I would recommend reconsidering your opinion on stands. They will improve the sound of any bookshelf you place on them, and they will last you through as many upgrades as you want. I would much rather listen to a pair of $500 speakers on good $250 stands than a $1,000 pair of speakers sitting on cardboard boxes.
Check out this thread for some recommendations on good bang-for-the buck speakers. I've got a pair of GR Research Paradox 1s ($500) on a pair of Studio Tech SC-24 stands ($250) and I'm very pleased.
-Mike...

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
What about handing the speakers on the wall?

For example the Polk LSi7s should be under $1k, sound very very good and you don't even need a stand.

Brian

Keir H

Second Unit
Will the Polks be sold a CC? I haven't seen a dealer in Houston for Polks other than the many CC's around here in a loooong time if ever. I'd like to here em and not be judgmental on their previous lines which I though they were a bit bright..at least to my ears. I saw a deal on Audiogon for Linn Katan's for about $700. I wonder how close these would sound to the tower 5140's?

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Hey they are a little over your budget, but a true gem to find on the used market at a good price, 60-70% off original cost, and condition looks like new from picture.
Proac makes some very, very good speakers.Link Removed
Damn that is a nice finish!
There are also some used Response 1SC for sale one going for $1100, but I would pick the 2s over that any day of the week.
Other musical speakers that actually fall under you budget to look at JM Reynaud Twin MKII, Totem Model 1 Signature, Proac Tablette 2000 Signature, Neat Petite, and various Spendor models.

Keir H

Second Unit
Thanks Scott and everyone but another question is that will any of these bookshelf speakers give me great sound better or at least equal to my Def Tech BP 30's in HT? Not to mention a center has to be match right soon after..but stereo is my main thing for now. Thanks very much guys.:emoji_thumbsup:

Keir H

Second Unit
Wow I just saw those and they do loook incredible. That's another thing...waaaay too many great speakers around this range to choose from. I guess that's a good thing though. :D

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
The ProAc speakers would for sure beat the Def Tech's, and I would also hazard a guess that most of my other suggestions would beat them as well if musicality is what you are after.

But one word of CAUTION all the ProAc's are made with the thought that they will be paired with very high quality amps, thus they could very likely show off any flaws your H/K amp might have. Just a warning that you might get upgrade happy afterewards.

Of my other suggestions I think the Totem and JMR speakers would be good choices and probably be pretty happy with the H/K. JMR's I own, not the Twins but a higher up model and they are very musical, but don't lose anything on the dynamics side really.

If you are wanting to get a good matching center channel with the ProAc's or JMR's, that could be another problem because neither makes a CC that costs under 2 grand. If a matching CC is of high concern then Totem would probably be your best choice of my suggestions. They do have some CC options under 1 grand.

However, if you get really high quality front speakers, I personally don't think you need a CC. I don't have one and if I am in the sweet spot it sounds better than my Klipsch ever did with their CC in the mix. Off axis listening will sound like it is coming from one speaker only for most dialog, but again this doesn't bother me because it still sounds more lifelike than my old Klipsch ever did

Colin-K

Agent
You must look into the PSB Stratus Mini's. Also, the Ref. Paradigms and the B&W's. I hear the PSB's are incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks