What's new

Best bookshelf for under 200 dollars? (1 Viewer)

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Well , come on Don get those bad boys hooked up and let us know!
I have installed a few Superzero's but no Superones.
The Superzero's I did not like too much, too little , I hope the Superone's sound better!
But NHT makes a good speaker for sure!
------------------
Sean
"Self Realization....I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"
[Edited last by Sean Conklin on November 16, 2001 at 01:12 AM]

DonH

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah... now I have to make a trip back to the store I bought the speakers from to get some speaker wire. I swear I didn't throw my wire away, but having just moved, I guess they got lost. That really sucks. So I will let you know how they sound after I go spend more money. 12 gauge wire is 50 cents a foot at the store I got the speakers from, so I guess that's not too bad.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Try Home Depot - 12 AWG speaker cable at I believe 37c a foot. However, I don't know if you can get this price for custom lengths, or if you have to buy a whole roll.
I got mine from Radio Shack for $1 a foot, so I shouldn't even be talking :) My only defense is that I was at RS getting spade connectors, and that's pretty close to my apartment, and I didn't want to drive for an hour just to save $10, so I decided to just get it at their price.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Don,
Great pickup! I was also going to recommend the SuperOnes.
I have a pair of Xu's and OutdoorOne's but prefer the looks of the non-Xu in gloss black. Amazing little speakers especially when paired with a sub.
I guess I'm surprised to see comments on the new NHT SB's like the "Super Series is junk". I haven't heard them yet, but that would be very disappointing if true. One thing that bothered me in a recent mag review was the ultra low sensitivity measured at about 83dB on the SB's - hopefully it was a misprint!
gil

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
One thing that bothered me in a recent mag review was the ultra low sensitivity measured at about 83dB on the SB's
That could contribute to the "junk" impression - maybe someone had to drive a receiver too hard to get these speakers to play loud, and that resulted in the receiver getting stressed and sounding bad. Since the listener had heard the receiver sound better with a different speaker, he concluded that the speaker sounds bad. I'm not saying that that's what happened, but it's a possibility, IMO.

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Yeah, the old SuperOnes aer a bit difficult to drive - at 87dB. But nothing a decent receiver can't handle - shucks, I used to run mine with a Harman/Kardon AVR20MkII, and it worked fine. But you can run in up to 150W per speaker, and it does help - the Yammie I use now delivers 100. Let's put it this way - I get AVIA and VE speaker tuning levels with my dial just a little before 50%...!
Mike

DonH

Stunt Coordinator
Being an avid user of the internet, I always try to find the bestr deals on stuff if I can. But every once in a while I am reminded of the human factor. Was told by the audio store I bought the speakers at that they would give me the 50 feet of 12 gauge oxygen free copper wire I needed for 50 cents a foot, 10 cents cheaper than their regular price of 60 cents. But when I get there, he tells me he'll just give it to me for 30 cents a foot. A good rapport with a store, it seems, can certainly make a difference. Now I need to hook these bad boys up.

DonH

Stunt Coordinator
OK... I have them hooked up but have not turned on the receiver yet. Right now the speakers are in a place where I can't move them temporarily, and are VERY close to the receiver. Will this be a problem to turn them on and test them? Also, is there a break in period I should know about? Thanks.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Also, is there a break in period I should know about?
Depends on who you ask :) Some people believe speakers break in, others don't. I would recommend you don't push them 100% for a few weeks, because there are moving parts in there which need to settle down a little. That doesn't mean play them softly, just don't do a whole movie at reference volume in one sitting.

DonH

Stunt Coordinator
OK... I could not wait any longer for an answer and I hooked them up, and have sampled a few of the CDs I enjoy... and dare I say? I think I like them better than the Paradigm Mini-Monitors I had. Tighter sound, if that translates. I can only imagine what they will sound like if I end up keeping the S8 sub. I am a happy guy. Thanks to all who gave advice and opinions.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A good rapport with a store, it seems, can certainly make a difference.
I totally agree. I always go to the local stores that treat me well, and make sure I spend some cash there. I like to see if the same people are still there to maintain rapport for exactly the reason you gave - they will occasionally give you a better deal just because you come back. Rapport can go a long way. Not to mention, I like to keep the stores I think are good IN BUSINESS! Even if I pay a little more, I think it's worth it sometimes, because IF I have a prboblem, it is often easier to deal with someone who sort of knows you.
Congrats on the Supers. Enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.