What's new

Best bookshelf for under 200 dollars? (1 Viewer)

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I believe Circuit City is selling the Polk RT25i for $99/each. I don't know if this is restricted to a certain region in the country. I have no experience with these speakers, but for $200 they should be worth a listen, in addition to Brett's suggestion above.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Good Guys has the Polk Audio RT25i at $199.95/pair with no shipping and tax. And they are authorized internet dealer. I believe you can still return them within 30 days if you don't like them. These are one of the biggest audio bargains out there. Definitely give them a try.

Len Cheong

Second Unit
Recently, Stereophile Guide and Sound and Vision published a bookshelf matchoff. Monitor Audio Bronze 1 speakers came out very well rated in both reviews.

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
everyone hears differantly/puts differant emphasis on certain parts of the spectrum of sound...Demo as many as you can in an A/B situation...same source,same amp,same room,same demo material,etc.....I know that one dealer is NOT going to have all the possible speakers you would like to hear,but I at least like to do A vs. B ,pick one(B) ,go to a dealer that has B and C and D, compare to C and D , prefer D , go to dealer that has D, E and F , still prefer D ,take home listen ....

Vietor

Stunt Coordinator
For $200 don't forget to look at the Paradigm Titans, definantly worth a listen. As has been said, listen to as much as you can, the wider a range of speakers you listen to, the better.

CalvinC

Stunt Coordinator
PSB Alpha Mini's, I have these in HT setup and thy really rock for the price. I also have the PSB subsonic 5 sub the two together sound really good.

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
For two hundred dollars, I would check out Home Theater Direct.com . I recomended these to a friend and they do sound very good. For the price and the return policy they are hard to beat. The Level III speakers are here.
I have the Level II outdoor speakers and 4 sets of Level III inwall speakers throughout my home.
Jeff
[Edited last by Jeff Aguilar on November 13, 2001 at 02:58 PM]

Andy F

Stunt Coordinator
I also suggest the paradigm titans. They are superior in every way to the Boston Acoustics CR8's that i had originally purchased. $120 less too. Bu tofcourse, listen to as much as possible before you buy. We are all biased towards one pair of speakers.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I also recommend Titans. I got mine for $206 out the door. I was so pleased with them, I now have 6 of them.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

BryanZ

Screenwriter
For the price, I'd have to say the nOrh 3.0s (either the drums or Prisms) would have to be at the top of my list. Others to look at include the Paradigm Titans and HTD Level III mains.

DonH

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you all for your posts. Unfortunately I am not near anywhere I can go to listen at a store, so I am forced to play it blind and have some speakers shipped to me. From all of the reviews I have read, I think I have it narrowed down to The Polk RT25i and the JBL S38. I suppose I am willing to go up to 300 dollars shipped. Even floor standing might work for me if I can find some decent ones in this price range. Anyone here have any opinions on the 2 speakers I mentioned or any floor standing under 300 that would be better? I am narrowing it down. Thanks.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
If you're looking for sound quality over visual impact, I'd recommend sticking with bookshelves in that price range. Have you budgeted anything for good stands? It could make quite a difference to the sound of the speaker. You should be able to find decent stands for about $50 - make sure they're rigid, heavy if possible, with spikes on the bottom (unless you have hardwood floors) and rubber pads on top for putting the speaker on. If a stand satisfies these requirements, it should work pretty well.
For $300, you could get B&W and Paradigm bookshelves. IMO they're quite a bit better than the JBL, I haven't heard the Polk so I can't comment on that. I don't know if you could get these for $300 shipped though.

DonH

Stunt Coordinator
Well... unfortunately I just moved into a small loft with CEMENT floors, so I have no idea what to do about the stand issue. Also, I am sort of an idiot, in that because I was moving into this small loft and wanted a surround system, I purchased the Energy Take 5.2 system with the S8 sub... but have found that I don't really have the room for it all. Before I did this, the genius I am, I sold a set of Paradigm Mini Monitors as well as a set of Titans and a CC-170 center and a PDR sub, because i KNEW all of that would be too large for the place. How badly do I wish I had not sold the Mini-Monitors? I loved those things, but don't want to pay their price really. As I remember they were more than the 300 MAX I am hoping to spend... oh.. and I did also sell an great set of speaker stands. Kind of regret that too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.