What's new

Best Bang for the Dollar in DLP - Help! (1 Viewer)

Ken~W

Auditioning
Looking at all of the choices in DLP television I am getting lost. I am looking for a DLP in the 55-65" range. Currently looking at Mitsubishi because I have always heard positive remarks for them. What are the best choices out there for the money if I am willing to spend between $2000-3000?
Thx
Ken

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
I like Samsung instead; however, I can only fit a 42 inch set in my apartment, but it seems at this time 1080p DLP HDTV sets are only for 50+ inch units.

What I don't like about DLP is that one has to do all those convergences once in awhile. However, from what I was reading recently, I may upgrade to a DLP HDTV from Samsung some time next year.

Btw, at circuitcity.com I have seen got sets of 50+. Here they are:

for about $1800 when you place the unit in the online cart, this is a Samsung:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsu...oductDetail.do

they are other Samsung, but the asking prices are above $2000. Take a look if you please:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Proje...ategorylist.do

Regards,
orestes

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
It is really hard to measure "bang". We could have saved a lot of money by getting a 720p/1080i set, but bought at 1080p set because we feel we got more "bang" for the buck that way, based on PQ alone, not to mention futureproofing considerations. But again, how do you measure a difference in PQ, and how do you measure the value of speculation about futureproofing?

Ken~W

Auditioning
Brian, I am also looking at a 1080p set. Do you mind me asking what name you bought?

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
DLP uses a color wheel and a projection bulb (some of the upcoming DLPs will use LED technology for projection).

My DLP didn't need calibration, no.

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
Isn't DLP just another way to say RPTV? I have a HD RPTV, a Toshiba TW40X81, and it is a pain in the butt to do a true convergence in all the screen formats which this puppy has. So even though I do like the Samsung set I posted above, I really don't want to do convergences every 6 months on avarage.

Regards,
orestes

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
DLP is a specific type of RPTV. DLPs differ from the TW40X81 in that with DLP there is a single light source (pure white, presumably), the light is projected through a spinning color wheel, and reflected into the correct position on the screen.

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
Brian:

Simple question, do a DLP HDTV unit need to have convergence? They look a lot like my RPTV which does need the stupid convergence.

Regards,
orestes

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
Orestes,

Excuse me for jumping in Brian, but to answer your question, no.

This is from www.dlp.com:

Single panel precision - no misalignment or convergence worries since DLP® is a single panel system whereas LCDs have 3-panels. And even 3-chip DLP systems have a high degree of mechanical robustness which will not suffer from the mis-alignment/convergence issues from which LCD can suffer.

HankSter

Auditioning
Real Name
Hank Sterns

Hope everyone doesn't mind me jumping in, but I am very close to making a purchase (56"/61" DLP, 1080p for sure) .....

Its my understanding that Samsung's will have this ? Not yet on the shelves ? Guess it's worth wating for ?
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

Edit: http://www.fotoconnection.com/viewit...RefTag=froogle http://www.audioholics.com/ces/CESte...technology.php

THX in Advance !!!
Da HankSter

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Roland, they do not. However, because of manufacturer's pretty loose tolerances for LCD panel alignment you may run into some with 1/2 to 1 pixel mis-alignment on parts of the screen. Some have had to swap out projectors with this issue to get one with a lesser degree of panel mis-alignment or none at all.

DLP is a chip with micromirrors that flip rapidly back and forth with either a color wheel for a single chip or a light prism that splits up the spectrum into RGB segments for a three chip device. 3 chip DLP projectors are very expensive. Some people are sensitive to color wheel "noise" known as a rainbow effect where in rapid scenes or scenes of bright white on a dark background the color separates out (not all the colors are on the screen at once due to the color wheel; the process relies on persistance of vision in your eye/brain processing to put the image back together)-- or if you move your eyes quickly across the screen. Others are not aware of this phenomenon and aren't bothered.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks