What's new

Best 8 channel Amp under $1500 (1 Viewer)

Michael De Costa

Stunt Coordinator
I have made several posts to this forum on various ways to resolve the following situation:

Currently using the 3802 to power my HT set up. I just added 2 pairs of sonnance Virtuosos to my living room and dining room. I need to purchase an amplifier to power these additonal speakers as well as power 2 pairs of Boston Acoustics Grand Voyagers on my deck. In total I would need to power 8 speakers outside of my HT.

What I have considered:
Purchase the Outlaw 7100 but having only 7 channels, nix that option.

Upgrade the 3802 to the 5802 and use the 3802 to power the 2 pairs of indoor speakers. For some reason I can't get the A&B to run music at the same usage. The B speakers keep playing as rears even when I go into the confg. mode.
I would then use the B option on the 5803 to power the outdoor speakers. This still leaves me with one pair left without power.

Purchase the HK PA-4000. Has 8 speaker output and seems like a good fit but does it have enough power is the question.

Are there any options I might have overlooked at this budget? Is there a configuartion option I missed on one of the above sellections?

Please advise my speakers are in but I have nothing to power them with now!

Yogi

Screenwriter
I'll second Ricky's recommendation. Citation amps are built by Madrigal; the makers of Mark Levinson amps. Very nice amps:emoji_thumbsup:

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Michael,

A friend of mine in Rockaway, NJ has 4 citation amps. He had a huge 300x2 pro amp driving his two custom shiva subwoofers. The pro amp's fan was noisy, so he switched to two Citation 5.1 *mere* 100 watt channels to drive these massive 20hz capable subs...he now has MORE bass!

You are comparing entry level amps at their new prices against Citations that compare favorably against megabuck proceed, aragon, bryston, krell, classe amps. The Citation amps were designed, manufactured, and serviced side-by-side Proceed amps in Madrigal. To beat the Citations, you'd need to at least go to the 200+ watt models from Parasound and Rotel. At $165 per channel, the Citation 5.1 is the best deal and staring you right in the face! Call JSV's and order one, you'll see/hear!

Yogi

Screenwriter
I have a Proceed Amp2, Citations brother also built by Madrigal, rated at 125W/ch that sounds more powerfull and has better defined bass than even the Rotel 1090, Rotel's flagship 380W/ch amp. IMHO Citation is a class above Rotel, Outlaw, Parasound etc and even the venerable Bryston.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks