What's new

Best 5-6 disc CD player for around $140 (1 Viewer)

Dan_Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Hi again guys. Now that I've got my system just about done in the DVD section, I need to get myself my own CD changer. I don't want a massive changer, just a 4-6 discer. I'm looking to spend about $100-$140 on one. I'll be running it through an Onkyo TX-DS595. Basically I'm looking for a quality changer, sound and mechanics wise.

I'm running them through Axiom M50Ti's, VP100 and M3Ti's if it matters.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot guys.

AbelM

Second Unit
Hi Dan,
My suggestion would be to go with any type of Pioneer CD player in that price range. I heard that Pioneer is the best at Newer Technology for CD players. :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Abel,
The problem is that Pioneer isn't really making straight CD players anymore, the exception being megachangers, but they cost more than $140. Pioneer still makes the PD-M426 six-disc magazine changer ($180 at Crutchfield last time I looked), but it is hardly a new model. I'm surprised they still make a magazine changer.
Dan,
There aren't a lot of good choices for $140 and under, but I'll makes some suggestions. Note that I haven't listened to these changers, but I have seen them a number of times in stores, so I can comment on them from the standpoint of build quality, which should be an important consideration in choosing a budget changer.
If you go to Best Buy or Circuit City, you will see changers in your price range from RCA, Symphonic, Sony, JVC, Technics, and Kenwood. My feeling is avoid the Symphonic changer. Any of the other brands will likely be suitable. Some say Technics makes the best budget CD players, so look for the SL-PD9 for $100. It comes with a remote, which is more than can be said for the Sony CDP-CE275 for the same price. Also, I find that the budget Sony CD changers show rather poor build quality. The JVC XL-FZ258 ($130) has a very slow carousel drawer. By contrast, the Technics unit looks solid. Surprisingly, the RCA changers look very solid too. Best Buy has two RCA models available. One is black and runs about $80, and the other is silver and is somewhere in the neighborhood of $130. The more expensive unit plays MP3-encoded CDs.
Best Buy and/or Circuit City may also have the Yamaha CDC-506, which runs about $150. Yamaha is always a solid brand to consider. I know I am working my way up the price scale, but your best choice may be the Onkyo DX-C380 six-disc changer for $170. It's the only six-disc carousel changer out there. You may find the Onkyo changer at Circuit City. Onkyo players are built well.
Tweeter also has a decent selection of budget changers, if you have one in your area. For example, they should have offerings from Sony and Yamaha. Finally, check www.crutchfield.com for a lot of good information on many of these changers.

AbelM

Second Unit
Keith and Dan,

Please excuse my ignorance in knowledge for them. I always thought that Pioneer made some really nice equipment in that range. Very sorry to the both of you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks