What's new

Best 2Chann Bookshelves for music at around 500 (1 Viewer)

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
What would you guys recommend? How do you feel about the Swan 2.1s? Or the Polk Audio LSi7s? maybe the 9s? It would be ideal to not have to get a sub and still have some bass but I may just have to get the cheapie dayton sub to fill in the lower freqs.

Anyone have any experience with the DefTech StudioMonitor or PowerMonitors?

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Oh boy, you're going to get one of two types of responses.

1) DO A SEARCH. This topic comes up every week...yada, yada, yada. True enough, but the search function is not always the most user friendly--and new speakers are coming out all the time.

2) Here's my favourite/the best....yada, yada, yada.

In that spirit, if I had 500$ for a pair of bookshelf speakers, I would audition as many of them as I could, and I would be certain to include the new Boston Acoustics VRB among those auditions. I'd also consider offerings from PSB, Paradigm, B&W, Mission, Monitor Audio, Energy, Wharfedale and Kef among the store brands. I've never heard the online offerings, so I'll allow others to chime in for those.

Bring your favourite (and extremely familiar) music and happy hunting. I went through this last year and went through about 15 brands and 40 sets of speakers. Good luck.

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
Eep sorry to start a repost, but sometimes its hard to find a really relevant thread. Plus you never know if there is a new offering that wasnt available then. :b

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
How would you guys rate the Ascend speakers on sound type? I like a laid back sound...I currently have Polk Audio RTi38s and I like that sort of sound. I definitely do not like overly trebley speakers

TimForman

Supporting Actor

Yep, brand new. Based on the WR125S XBL^2 powered driver developed for Creative Sound Solutions by Adire Audio. Tweeter is the Fostex FT207D. Cabinets are very good quality. You could easily go without a sub initially. Granted, it's not going to hit the 20's but it will get below 50Hz.

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
yeah i'm really suspicious. A 4.5" driver just doesnt seem like it would be very full sounding (I know its a bookshelf but still).

Anyhoo, what do you guys think about the online retailers Ascend and Aperion? How would you compare them? Are they very laid back/warm? (thats the kind of soudn I like)

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking to get something better than my current RTi38s.

upgrade bug...you all know how that goes! :D

Mitch_J

Stunt Coordinator
Aperions most likely will never be described as WARM I wouldn't say they are BRIGHT! either.
I've heard them described as "FORWARD"
And I think that probably fits best.
Detailed and clear.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'd say the Ascend CMT-340 would fit the bill below your target price.

The "Ling" has a sensitivity of just 85dB, which is rather low, so you would want a decent amount of power with it, and I don't see a response curve.

XBL^2 sounds pretty cool though...

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
But you like the Odysseys more? Also, have you heard the aperion 522D? Their piano finish is great looking...

Marcus Lewis

Stunt Coordinator

I haven't heard the epiphony's , but they are supposed to be a significant step above the CMB's ... Remember the CMB's are the audiophile steal of the century at only 3 - something a pair.

Never heard the Aperion's ...

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
2 questions.

How is it that those Lings have a PAPER CONE and the tweeter goes up to 40K?! WHAAAA?

the other is Where does one get Totem speakers? Any online dealers? What do the dreamcatchers run for?

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
A 5.1 package of Dreamcatchers w/sub retails for 1600$US, so a pair should fit your budget (woofers are under 5 inches, though, FYI). They are a great little speaker (other Totems are also quite nice, don't know if any others fit your budget). Go to their website and you should be able to find a list of dealers (they don't list prices on their site--or at least didn't when I was last there). They are rated at 4 ohm, so you need to make sure your amps can handle a low impedence load.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks