What's new

Best <=$200 center channel? (1 Viewer)

Barry.Evans

Agent
I'm slowly building my HT system and I'm not musically inclined so I don't 'hear' a lot of difference in things. I'm looking for a quality center channel in the ~200 range. Any recommendations?

-bp

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
i would look into the S-series from JBL. im no where near an audiophile, but i use the N-series from jbl, and i love them. i have heard that the S-series, especially the center channel speaker, is a large step up, plus they are still budget speakers.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
I second David's recommendation, they are also 3-way speakers and the advantage of this design is that its horizontal off-axis response is much smoother than that of the usual two-way*, woofer-tweeter-woofer center speaker.

JBL S-Center II Studio Series 3-Way Center Channel Speaker $169.00* (*must request price to your email) + $15.08 S/H
Availability: usually ships in 1 to 2 business days

Search the internet for other prices from authorized JBL dealers.

*David - since both JBL N- & S-Series utilize the JBL TEC Award Winning LSR Pro Studio EOS™ waveguide, the JBL N-Center off-axis response is above AVG vs. other 2-way Centers!

Phil

keir

Stunt Coordinator
i would say axiom m2i. same tweeter and woofer as the m22ti and vp150, but in a smaller cabinet. i just replaced my paradigm cc-170 with an m2i and the improvement is pretty big. the cc-170 had a bass hump and the tweeter wasnt as good. also the dispersion is better so it sounds very good from wide angles. i think the axiom speakers are tought to beat in their price range, especially since they introduced the new m2i with their best tweeter.

ps...
forgot to mention that the speaker is shielded, but not quite well enough. i dont have a problem right now but i have heard that some people are not able to place it directly on the tv. a couple inches distance should be enough though.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I would get what ever center is matched to your mains... the BEST center speaker can sound out of place if not properly matched with your main speakers.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Another rec for the S-Center. I have one in my system, and the sound on it is great.

Amazon has it for $169.99 WITHOUT the need for coupons or email, as it's stock on this particular item is offered by J&R.

It's TECHNICALLY not the most up-to-date S-Center (the II series is), but I've heard that the main difference between series I and II is just cosmetics, so you probably don't have anything to worry about in that respect.

The price is good too - you're getting a good center for a low price. :)

I'd also look to match your center to your mains like Stephen said. Have you bought left/right and surround speakers yet??

Nathan J

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone have a link to that Axiom speaker?

I am kinda wondering the same thing, but I have Phase Tech mains and surrounds, and I wonder if I shouldn'y just stick with the same brand.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Mike:

Thanks for telling me.

I can't really tell if the Amazon link is for a II series (just not labeled) or not. Usually, if a company offers an older model, they drop the price on it.

Color me confused. :b

Again, though, as far as I have heard, the I and II series speakers are pretty much identical in most respects. One would probably get equal performance out of both of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks