What's new

Beginner apartment theater setup. (1 Viewer)

B.Robert

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
Good afternoon!

For lack of a better title, I named this "apartment theater" setup, however I don't think it will turn into much of a theater, more so than getting a better viewing experience while watching movies.

I currently have a 55" LED TV, and have been thinking about making the move to a 5.1 system. I currently use a sound bar that my fiancé had before we had moved in, and I am finding it to be somewhat lackluster. I have been doing some research here and there to find some prices, and it appears that there is a huge variance in packages and what you can do. I will start off by saying the following:

- I am on a budget. Prefer not to spend too much. Now, this is somewhat relative. If I can spend 150 dollars to get something mediocre, but 200 dollars to get something that is much better, I would be more than willing to look into this.

- I live in an apartment. I don't ever hear my neighbors conversations or anything like that, but I have heard when something falls or someone stomps. So I don't need a setup that is going to be extremely loud or anything like that.

- I don't have a ton of space, nor is my living room layout very manageable. I assume that I could be able to get a pretty solid setup without having to spend too much due to the smaller area that we are working with.

I have done some reading, and I believe that something like a HTIB would work pretty well for me. Throughout my reading, I have had the question of whether or not multiple sources come into issue with this setup. I have a Blu-ray, my Xbox 360, and my HD Comcast box. I'm not sure if this changes anything, but if it is something that does, that is what I am working with.

I have attached a photo of the living room arrangement if that holds any value in what would be a good idea, and what would be a bad idea.

Thanks for any one that would be willing to provide some help on this issue. I greatly appreciate it!

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q136/Ibeatzl/Untitled_zps131d440f.png

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
HTiB causes issues with more than 1 source. Nobody(on this forum) is going to bother discussing them.Pre-packages are your best bet. The Denon DHT1513BA is $350 on accessories4less. There are no HTiB around that price that are worth not buying that Denon set.Given your basic needs(Unless you want Airplay or other networking) I can't see needing more.

B.Robert

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
Thanks for the responses!

You were correct in assuming that it was just an example. I was not expecting to find something worthwhile for only $200. I was just trying to imply that I'm willing to spend a little more to get something that would be a better deal, than to be incredibly cheap and buy something that I will eventually regret.

I will definitely look into this one. Do you happen to have any ideas or examples that I should look into?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Other options depends on your needs.How many(and size) speakers do you want?Interested on DPL IIz, DSX or DTS Neo x?Need any networking or Bluetooth?

B.Robert

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
I would imagine that I need an A/V receiver. I don't currently have one, and from my understanding I would need one to be able to manage the multiple inputs without manually changing them each time.

As to the bluetooth/networking, I don't believe I would really need either of them. My router is currently right next to the television, so I would be able to hardwire it if there were ever a need.

And with the speakers, I honestly don't know the difference between those types. I could definitely research it, but if I'm being 100% honest, I have slight hearing loss and I don't generally tell the difference between speakers unless it is quite a huge difference. So, if something is somewhat better than the other, but not extremely noticeable, I doubt it would make much of a difference to me!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The cheapest 5.1 speaker package is this one from monoprice.com. $91.11 + shipping.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090601&p_id=8247&seq=1&format=2#specifications

Add a simple refurbished receiver from ac4l.com

Onkyo 313 http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxsr313/onkyo-tx-sr313-5.1-channel-3-d-ready-home-theater-receiver/1.html

Denon 1513 http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavr1513/denon-avr-1513-5.1ch-home-theater-receiver-3d-ready/1.html

There's also the Onkyo HT-3500 which we usually don't recommend around here very often because it has a passive subwoofer but considering your budget and it's for an apartment it might be O.K.

But keep in mind, these are very entry level products.

Need a Bluray player? Walmart/Amazon.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I recommend these two systems...just so happens both contain a Denon AVR...

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/dendht1513ba/denon-dht-1513ba-home-theater-system-w/boston-acoustics-speakers/1.html

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/focaldenonpack/denon-avr-e400-7.1-airplay-receiver-focal-sib/cub-3-speaker-package/1.html

There "isn't much" between those two prices. The one above contains the "least" speakers that are actually worthy of hanging around a while.

The 2nd system, is yes, 3 times the price...but that price jump is required to notice a difference in the AVR functionality and in the quality of speaker(for a tiny speaker...Sibs are top-notch).

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
gene c said:
The cheapest 5.1 speaker package is this one from monoprice.com. $91.11 + shipping.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10906&cs_id=1090601&p_id=8247&seq=1&format=2#specifications

Add a simple refurbished receiver from ac4l.com

Onkyo 313 http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/onktxsr313/onkyo-tx-sr313-5.1-channel-3-d-ready-home-theater-receiver/1.html

Denon 1513 http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavr1513/denon-avr-1513-5.1ch-home-theater-receiver-3d-ready/1.html

There's also the Onkyo HT-3500 which we usually don't recommend around here very often because it has a passive subwoofer but considering your budget and it's for an apartment it might be O.K.

But keep in mind, these are very entry level products.

Need a Bluray player? Walmart/Amazon.
These two options(same speakers...AVR of choice...and the same AVR noted in the DHT1515BA) are worthy as well...although...I'd still take the 1513BA over the 1513 + the MP 5.1 set.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Do you have a good spot for the surround speakers? If not, you can go with a 2.1 system for now, and add to it down the road.

B.Robert

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
I'm glad you asked this, because now when I think about it, I'm not sure I would have anywhere to put the rear speakers. BEST case scenario, I could create a mount on the wall behind the couch, but that would put them directly behind the viewer's head, rather than off to the side in a corner.

From the sounds of it, a 2.1 would probably be the best scenario for me right now. Are there better recommendations if I plan on going the 2.1 route? Or is it going to stay towards the 5.1 advice?

I would assume that the links listed above wouldn't be necessary if I were going the 2.1 route?

Thanks for all the help! I greatly appreciate it!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I just looked at the picture. Are you really jamming the couch up against the wall?

If slid off the wall where the back is even to the(whatever that long rectangle is on the right, er well...left in the picture...right as seated) and you walk behind the couch to the desk...

B.Robert

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
Unfortunately, the rectangle on the right is an open "bar" type wall that separates the room from the kitchen.

If I were to move the couch forward, I would probably be within 7 feet of the television.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks