What's new

Before I make the purchase.... (1 Viewer)

CurtJ

Stunt Coordinator
I just need a bit of advice on my first HT purchase. I am leaning toward the following and was wondering if this is a good move or should I look at any other combinations. I dont have a huge budget and would like to stay close to $1000 for both the receiver and the speakers.

Marantz 4200 $430

Paradigm micros mains and rears $300 (for all 4)

Paradigm center $150

Paradigm Sub pdr-10 $350

Thanks. By the way has Marantz fixed the problem with their 200 series receivers?

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Curt

I think your speaker choices are fine. Marantz is overpriced and some of their models have not come close to delivering rated power into 5 channels. For $430 I would choose something else. Denon is usually a good choice.

Artie

CurtJ

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Artie

What Denon would you recommend and would you take that over a HK 320 or 520?

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
The 2802 would be in your price range. I have heard the 2802 and it's a pretty good value for the money.....

CurtJ

Stunt Coordinator
I am sold on the paradigms, now I just have to match the receiver. Would I be skimping to go with the 1802?

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
You would definately not be skimping on the receiver with a 1802. I'm using my old Kenwood 208 which is 50x5 to run my Paradigm Mini Monitors and they sound fine with just 50 watts running to them. The 1802 has plenty of power for the paradigms.

yea I definatly wouldn't go with the marantz, I have monitor 7's, mini's as rears and a cc-370. I just auditioned a marantz 7200, denon 3802 and a Integra 7.1. The marantz was not much better with my speakers than the yamaha. It was bright and thin compared to the other two. I would defintaly say go with the denon.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
The Denon gear will do you much better in my opinion. The price difference between the 1802 and the 2802 looks to be around 150 bucks. If you can really push the envelope, the 3802 is an awesome piece.

You really can't go wrong with any of these pieces, but I would lean to the 2802.

I have the 3801(Same as 3802 without DPLII for the most part) in my bedroom and love it to death. Paradigms and Denon's just fit each other like a glove!!

Good Luck, Let us know what you go with and Welcome to the Home Theater Forum Curt.....

CurtJ

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all of your help. This is a steep learning curve but you guys have made the decisions much easier and tons more educated. I will let you know what I get.

you might want to look at Integra 6.2 or the new 6.3. Integra is a derivative of Onkyo but they are built better. I just bought a 7.1 and am totally surprised how well it goes with the paradigms.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
By the way has Marantz fixed the problem with their 200 series receivers?
Marantz could have fixed the issue with video switching by now, but there still may not be sufficient numbers of "fixed" receivers in the market. When I was looking for a receiver 6 weeks ago, one vendor thought he would get more Marantz receivers in quite soon with the fix applied. However, he still thought the Denon was better - which he also sold. Now that six weeks have passed, he still hasn't received replacement stock on the Marantz receivers. I'm glad I went with the Denon.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
I'm suprised no one suggested H/K?

Three of us are getting the AVR 520... (one yesterday, two more in two weeks). The 520 is overkill and out of your budget, but the 320 ain't. Oh, and it's um... all good.

CurtJ

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks everyone. JandR has some good prices on both the 320 ($499) and the 520 ($599). I think I will take your advice and go with the 320.

One more question, Paradigm micros vs. HTD III (with level 2 surrounds)

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Curt, if I were you I would just spend the extra $100 for the 520. The 20 extra watts will come in handy if you later decide to upgrade speakers.

Just my .02

Mike Wang

Auditioning
For now, don't worry about spending extra money for an extra watt or two. A better set of speakers would make a much more audible difference, IMHO. I would highly recommend that you step up from the Micros to the Atoms, at least for the front speakers. The price difference isn't very much and the Atoms will integrate more smoothly with a sub. You'll be giving up a little bit too much on the bass with the smaller Micros. Many people consider the Atoms to be the best in the Paradigm Performance line.

Jeff Massey

Agent
Why don't you get the 1802 and spend the extra money on an upgrade to the atoms or titans for the front.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks