What's new

Pre-Order Bedlam/the Ghost Ship (Warner Archive Collection) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
4C86F8D2-9D9C-46AF-B852-3494A5599D14.jpeg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah! With this release that leaves just those two left for blu upgrades on the Val Lewton Horror Collection set from 2005.
IMO, the two best films of the lot. I'm not saying those other films aren't good, but I think the last two movies not yet on Blu-ray are the best films.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm not so sure that one or both of them don't end up at Criterion.
I can't be annoyed if Criterion has either of them but I hope that Warners has them simply because it looks like they'd release a I Walked.../Seventh Victim disc much faster than Criterion would take to release the both of them.

Santee7

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
kirk
Bedlam has an amazing performance from Karloff,, when I was a kid and watched the ending on the late late late show that final shot of Karloff's face and his fate really creeped me out. This and the Criterion release of High Sierra will make October a great month.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Bedlam(a real place in UK, and a word in the language) was banned in UK on release.
Interesting, given the "I'll retire to Bedlam!" line uttered by Ebeneezer Scrooge (Alastair Sim) in the definitive A CHRISTMAS CAROL (1951) cinematic tale! I wonder whether that line was ever excised from the initial UK release?

CHEERS! :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just watched a bit of "The Ghost Ship" on TCM and I swear it looks like its derived from a new scan. I don't remember prior TCM showings looking as good as I what I just seen today.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
If memory serves, The Ghost Ship was pretty rough on DVD so it seems like you might have seen what will be used for the Blu-ray.
I thought "Ghost Ship" looked almost pristine on DVD, which would make sense, as it wasn't very popular. "Bedlam", on the other hand, was in the worst condition of all the Val Lewtons', appearing as if it had been dragged across a mountain range, then used as a welcome mat at the Met Museum during Fashion Week. I found it difficult to watch, so I can't wait for the Blu-Ray.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I agree with Robert Crawford, THE SEVENTH VICTIM and I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE are the two best of the lot. Hopefully Warner Archive will give us those on a double bill with all the extras next (soon).

The 7th VICTIM doesn't appeal to me terribly, although it certainly has its moments. I prefer it to BEDLAM, but I would put it at my second least favorite Lewton. I know, a lot of disagreement there. The modern settings don't help it with mood very much (although a couple of night sequences hit the spot).

I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE, however, is for me the zenith of the series. The atmosphere couldn't be thicker, in spite of the fact that it was filmed on Hollywood sound stages. At 69 minutes, you really feel like you've been transported to the Caribbean for an hour. You can nearly smell the Pacific Ocean air and feel the Spanish moss brushing your face. The poetic narration, Roy Webb's lovely score, the moody photography...it all leaves a memorable residue. It also contains two of the creepiest nocturnal sequences among the many in the producer's films. I never saw the film theatrically (true for most of us here), but even on VHS when it was first made available on video, I fell in love with it and ran it constantly. Can't wait for it's inevitable Blu-ray release, with any luck before I hit the dirt for good.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
If memory serves, The Ghost Ship was pretty rough on DVD so it seems like you might have seen what will be used for the Blu-ray.

GHOST SHIP, which I think is underrated (as a psychological thriller, not a horror film), was out of circulation for many years due to rights issues. It never had the attention that the other eight Lewtons had. The DVD reflected that. But, apparently, we're in for a treat!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks