What's new

Beavis & Butthead: The Mike Judge Collection Vol. 1 Due 11/08 (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It needs to, but I might not be able to resist the siren song of B&B. I don't own any release, whether DVD or VHS, and I think I have all of the MTVs locked out on my TV. So, this will be a long-awaited reunion for me.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'd love this with the videos as well. without them, I would think it would be kind of hard to watch. the animated stories weren't exactly the greatest things in the world. Priced right, I well pick this up regardless.

I too can't see how most of the videos couldn't get licensed. People pretty much rate DVD's as a second chance at life, I can't see why most of these bands wouldn't want to be a part of that?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
"This guy looks like that Ernie dude! 'Hey, Uncle Charlie! Me and Chip are gonna go upstairs and act like a couple of dorks!' 'Get out of my kitchen! I'm tryin' to bake a cake here!' My three sons-of-bitches!"

You don't get that without the videos.

"Hey! Get away from his wiener!"

"Settle down, Beavis! What are you, the wiener police?"

"Well, how would you like it if some chick tried to touch your wiener?!"

"Huh huh. WHAT?"

"Um. Ah. I mean, how would YOU like it if some chick tried to touch your wiener? That'd be pretty cool."

todd s

Senior HTF Member

When he was calling that guy from that Japanese video Ernie. I almost pissed myself. That was great. :emoji_thumbsup:

Kevin/M

Agent
I second the Notion of a Best of collection of the Music Videos. That way there's at least a ocuple of ivdeos made avialable on DVD

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

But the cartoons themselves were made without the videos. They were standalone stories. But, every few minutes, they edited in the video segments which took you out of the stories. Sort of like how they add in commercials. They were fun, but not part of the cartoon.

I've been watching the show on MTV2 and while some of the videos were fun, they often used the same clips in multiple shows.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I think the videos are just filler too. They just put them in between acts and in between in the cartoons to pad the run time. It doesn't mean that they're not funny but they're not the main part of the series.

They're definitely part of the show though and I'd like to see them but I doubt it's ever gonna happen.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

They probably could be -- but then each disc would cost $40, since the artists would all have to get paid!

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

...but they were the funniest part of the show. I look at it just the opposite. The cartoons were filler surrounding the video segments. The idea of watching the cartoons without the videos is almost repulsive to me. I'll wait until the next moron-a-thon, and Tivo the whole thing.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I've been working on this story for about a week now, and I've been able to dig up a few details on the upcoming Volume 1 set:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=3740

Sorry it took so long, but people were NOT forthcoming with the info. Thankfully there's a certain hot dog vendor in NYC that MTV employees like to hang out around. Big Sal, I owe you!

Gord
P.S. Kidding about the hot dog guy.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I guess it's good that they will include some music videos. I know at least one of the Time-Life sets actually did have a few videos on it, but I hope they will get more on there than just those ones. 40 shorts does sound pretty robust so I am definately tempted.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
My memory of it is that the videos were the only thing that Judge was consistently involved with. Meaning, he did the voices all along, but he gave up writing the shorts at one point. He always came up with the video material, though.

Note: that may be BS, but that's what I remember.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I don't think most peope understand how MTV works. They basically have the rights to use the music and videos they play in any matter they see fit on the channel itself. This is why shows like "The Real World" are absolutely full of popular music playing in the background. MTV doesn't have to pay any money to play it, it's all considered promotional. Bands like Winger and Kroakus probably never imagined that the videos they sent to MTV would result in them getting anything but whores and blow but by giving them the videos in the first place they were powerless to stop MTV from making fun of them during regular programming. However, putting their music or videos on a TV show that could be considered promotional is one thing, putting them on a video tape or DVD and charging money for them is a whole other ball of wax, things need to be renegotiated, and you're undoubtedly going to get people that won't agree to the use of their property in any case because they're offended or insulted by what B&B are saying about them. Even if Paramount was willing to throw as much money as necessary to clear all the videos, there are still going to be holdouts due to the content. A complete "Beavis & Butthead" collection is simply impossible.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

I don't think that there's anybody here that doesn't understand that. I do think that there are many people like me though, that would rather have nothing, than something incomplete.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
considering aforementioned acts like Krokus and Winger don't exactly sell much anymore, are you sure they'd still say no if Mike Judge made them an offer they couldn't refuse?

I bought the History of B&B set off ebay awhile back, and frankly, the show just wasn't as funny without the videos. The stories had their moments but watching the DVD only made me hungry for more scenes of them headbanging and air-guitaring in unison to Iron Man, or making fun of a New Kids On The Block video, etc...

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
If bands were really insulted by what was said on B&B, they need thicker skins. For example, the Breaking the Law video is ripe for ridicule, but I doubt if Judge and Co. are really as dismissive of a great band like Judas Priest as that one segment suggests. Some of it, I think you're supposed to consider the source: the two reviewers in question are a couple of ignoramuses. No matter how it's supposed to be taken, it was free publicity for a lot of bands that wouldn't have even gotten play on MTV, like Mutha's Day Out. I only ever heard their song on B&B, but I kind of liked it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks