What's new

Beavis & Butthead: The Mike Judge Collection Vol. 1 Due 11/08 (1 Viewer)

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I know Winger blamed B&B for their downfall in popularity, but it's not a fair comparison. Their type of music was in decline in 1993 and even if B&B hadn't come around, I highly doubt they would've had much more success in the grunge/alternative era.

B&B insulted Kenny G and yet he was still in his peak around the time (there was even a Kenny G diss in Waynes World 2 around the same time) and yet neither B&B or WW did any damage control to his career. I don't think what Beavis And Butthead said about artists really would've helped or hurt them unless you're young and impressionable.

Kevin/M

Agent
It's a shame that Paramount is goingh to stay with the November 8 DVD, But it is Good news that at least a ocuple of music videos will be included

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
My whole point is that MTV could pull out all the stops and be willing to pay outrageous amounts of money to clear all the videos and there's no guarantee that everyone would be willing to cooperate. Look at the use of "Stairway to Heaven" in "Wayne's World". In the theatrical version Wayne played the beginning of "Stairway" at the guitar shop and he salesclerk stops him and points to the "No Stairway to Heaven" sign on the wall. The song was used without Led Zeppelin's permission, they got pissed and wouldn't negotiate it's inclusion in the home video release. As far as I know, Paramount was willing to throw a little money their way (like any of the ex-Zep members need it) but they just wouldn't let it be used. It's not a matter of money to them, they're very selective of how their music is used. To my knowledge, only "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" and "Almost Famous" have featured original Zeppelin recordings and that's because of their relationship with Cameron Crowe. With the "Beavis & Butthead" videos, you're usually dealing with washed-up, obscure 80's metal bands but all it would take to keep a single video from the collection is a single bandmember that's well-off enough that he can tell Paramount to go to hell for making fun of his music video. Look at the "Undeclared" DVD set. There are bands that just flat-out didn't want their music included on the DVD set. This is, of course, assuming that MTV would even consider the massive undertaking of clearing all the videos. The cost would undoubtedly be outrageous.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I thought Stairway had to be cut from Almost Famous, and Crowe instructs viewers when to cue the song when watching the deleted song.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

I thought that was because the scene was never used so they never bothered to clear it. Maybe I'm wrong but Crowe tells you to sync "Stairway" because that was the intention for that deleted scene.

Don't forget "School of Rock" managed to get "The Immigrant Song" after Jack Black and other cast members sent a videotaped plea to Zepplin begging them for permission to use the song

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, I knew I was forgetting something. I don't know how I forgot, I'm a Linklater fan and I own the DVD. As for "Stairway" in "Almost Famous", they did get "That's The Way" but they're more protective of "Stairway". Cameron Crowe said the "Stairway" scene was once his favorite scene of the film and he never would have imagined it not being included.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
It would be nice if Paramount gave you the option to watch with whatever videos get cleared, or simply the cartoons through. I think the videos were hillarious but agree with others that they were not part of the original cartoon and seem more fitted to television broadcast than home video, at least in this context. I think forcing the videos into this colelctions will subtract from the rewatchability of the wpisodes. Sure you can always skip forward, but it doesnt feel as fluent as sitting through the entire cartoon. And lets be honest... theres only so many times you can sit and watch crappy early 90s hair metal band music videos before you want to poke your eyeballs out. I['m all for their inclusion, but hope theres an option to watch the cartoons alone, as I'll be making use of such a resource if available more often than not on repeat viewings.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I would definitely prefer the videos be included and the episodes presented exactly as originally aired, don't get me wrong, I just realize that it's practically impossible.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
From what I've heard, Bill is bang-on with his assessment of the music video situation. Remember, it's not just the band that has to "ok" something. It's the labels, publishers, writers...ANY of those people/groups could say "nope" and it's done with. Dealing with unknown bands can be more difficult because then you have to spend time researching all the different groups.

Someone that went into law a few years ago with the intention of specializing in music licensing is probably laughing these days.

Gord

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter
All I know is, if I had something to do with one of these crappy bands that B&B made fun of on their show, and I was asked to give permission to allow my video to appear in the new B&B DVD set, I'd jump at the opportunity! Many of these bands (that most people probably never even heard of) could have new life in CD sales to kids or even older adults who grew up watching B&B. Let the fools pass, the smart ones will jump on the B&B bandwagon for the free publicity. Personally, I hope alot of the people involved with those videos realize the free publicity they'll be getting and give permission to Mike Judge to use their videos on the DVD set.

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
Carlos, I agree entirely, I am buying quite a few movies I would never even have heard of if they hadn't appeared in Mystery Science Theater, B&B must have at least a slightly similar effect.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Sounds actually worthwhile. But, 14 episodes over three discs? Are we getting DTS on these or what? :D

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
It sounds to me like the videos are included as an extra, not in the episodes themselves. I'll probably buy this first volume, and depending on the presentation, buy or skip the next ones.

3 discs for 14 episodes, I'm guessing 2 disc's for the episodes, 1 disc for the videos and extras.

Kevin/M

Agent
Considering howe the Beavis and Butthead "Episodes" are on average less than 10 Minutes long, I can't Imagine
What would posess PAramount and Mike Judge to put out a Beavis and Butthead 3-Disc Set with fewer than 30 of them on it (Even the History DVD had 32 shorts on it). I can only hope that either DavisDVD got bum information.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Wait, Gord's site said this...
"Volume 1 will contain approx 40 shorts on 3 discs..."

Somebody's right, yes?

:) d

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Maybe it means that 26 of the episodes were not hand-picked by Mike Judge. (Maybe he used his feet for those?).

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Maybe it is 14 full episodes, with two shorts per each episode as they aired on television. That would still only be 28 shorts, but perhaps that's whats going on.

Kevin/M

Agent
If You Look at TVShowsonDVD's Announcement, They are saying 40 SHORTS are being included on the Set, But Davis DVD is Saying that 14 EPISODES are being included on the Set. If DavisDVD didn't get forty and fourteen Mixed Up, maybe Paramount are ocunting the Episodes as having two more more Shorts (If the 14 Episodes have Three shorts in them, then the set would have about the number of Shorts that TvShows on DVD said it would). Also, The BoxArt shwon by DavisDVD has Butt-Head on It, As opposed to the Beavis Cover displayed on the Comicon Banner

On an unrealted Note: According to the Same Site, Universal is apparently coming Out with a 1-Disc DVD with all of the 7 Dr Seuss TV Specials on it (Box Art for it is shown and everything). That Might Not Sit well for those who bought the four disc set, But i makes me gladf i held off on buying it

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks