What's new

Beatles Capitol Albums Vol. 2 (1 Viewer)

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
FINALLY VOL. 2 HAS ARRIVED, THE PACKAGING IS THE SAME AS VOL. 1. HAVE ONLY BEGAN LISTENING TO BEATLES VI, SOUNDS GREAT TO ME, OF COURSE I'M A BIG BEATLES FAN. IT'S NICE TO HAVE THE ALBUM HELP WITH THE INSTRUMENTAL TRACKS WHICH ARE ONLY AVAILABLE ON THE LP AS FAR AS I KNOW. NOW IF WE COULD GET A HARD DAY'S NIGHT ON CD, THE SAME AS THE UA LP THAT WOULD BE GREAT.
ENJOY
AL

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
I never really understood why these albums were being released, apart from the obvious money making scheme. I mean I'm a huge Beatles fan, but these albums that Capitol released were not what the Beatles wanted and to be honest, I probably won't be picking any of these volumes up. If the Beatles and iTunes could come to some sort of agreement, mainly the Beatles getting their fat heads out of their asses and stop thinking that if someone says "Apple" everyone obviously thinks Beatles. Then I might get some of the indvidual tracks, but overall the British releases are just fine by me. I really want some surround mix's or something a little more updated. I would appreciate more of a re-release with a seperate disc of bonus demo's, working tracks and such. That would be better, personally.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
What I want is newly remastered British releases, with any Capitol tracks/mixes included as bonus tracks.

I've held off on all the Beatle studio CD releases as none of them sound that great.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Pssst! Al, press your "caps lock" key please!

As for these releases, given all the money The Beatles still make, I'm surprised the American albums hadn't been issued sooner. But I prefer the British albums.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I was a teen in the mid 1960s and the US versions of the albums are what I am most familiar with. I will be getting this set, although the wrong mono mix was used on a couple of the songs and wasn't discovered until they started to mass produce the sets.

Apparently, Capitol is planning to re-issue the set with the correct mono mixes and replace incorrect mixed discs. Don't have the details of that yet, though.

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
I never bought they British cd versions since I have the MFSL lp,s. I've had all the 45's and LP,s of the Beatles since the the 60's & 70's and to me anyway these Vol. 1 & 2 cd's sound quite good, but I'm not an expert.
Sorry about the caps Jack.
Al

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I too prefer the British albums, but I like the fact that the American releases have both mono (which apparently Sir George Martin and the band preferred) and stereo mixes.

If they would release the UK versions (remastered obviously) in a similar fashion I would be all over that! Heck, their early albums are so short, you could probably stick both versions on one CD...

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
As I understand it, the wrong mix - a "folded-down" stereo mix - was used to create the mono version of Beatles VI and Rubber Soul. This is supposed to be most noticeable in that both versions of "I'm Looking Through You" have the false start, which is not supposed to have been present on the actual mono mix.

By the way, there are pages upon pages of discussions on this and similar issues at the Steve Hoffman music forum if you need more information.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I'm listening to it now and I think the Capitol stereo mixes are great. Not better than the Parlophone, but different in that I am hearing instruments I hadn't heard before and Paul's bass is much clearer. People forget how great a bassist he was.

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
Thanks Marvin, I actualy like the Parlophone LP's because of the added songs however with the MFSL LP's we are missing such big hits as I Want to Hold Your Hand, She Loves You, I Feel Fine, Hey Jude and a few others. If MFSL would have done the Golden Oldies LP or Past Masters Vol. 1 that would have been great. Mabye MFSL will revisit the Beatles collection on Gold cd's or SACD's

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully in the US as well and not just the UK...otherwise my cost for importing will be sky high.

Just saw Sir George Martin on the news last night, in a story about how he had culled the vaults and is putting together a "new" Beatles album.

I do remember a long time ago, I was at a friend's house who was a real Beatlemaniac, and he had a book that claimed to have a comprehensive list of every song the Beatles recorded. What shocked me was that the released songs were bolded, and there were nearly as many unbolded songs as there were bolded! :eek:

Looking forward to the new UK releases, as well as this "new" album that Sir George is putting together.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Now admittedly I haven't A/B'd them, but I'm pretty familiar with my original Beatles CDs, and I remember being pretty impressed with the sonics on the re-released Yellow Submarine (the mixes are another issue for purists, but the sound quality was excellent) and I thought the songs on "1" sound better than their counterparts on the original CDs.

I'll try to go back and A/B them in the next few days. I would hope at the very least that SQ would be improved on the re-releases...otherwise, what's the point?

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Any word on whether any of the corrected sets made it into the first shipments and whether or not you can identify them?

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Bill,

If you want a headache, head over to Hoffmans forum. There are a bazillion threads on the overall topic of these sets.

There were a few reports (unsubstantiated, IMHO) that a few corrected sets made it out. Someone even claims they know how the code on the box differ (a suffix of SK1 somewhere on the label or box...I am not really sure).

I bought the cube set (to match my Vol.1 cube), and have not even checked to see if they are the fold downs. The stereo tracks do sound really good to me.

I may or may not take advantage of getting the replacement sets. As much as I like the Beatles, its just not that important to me. I think I have listenned to the mono Vol.1 tracks all of once.

Brian

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
The new Beatles album is going to be controversial because it sounds like it's going to be a remix album and soundtrack to the Cirque du Sole show. I will buy it regardless but I doubt I will listen to it much. I hope I'm wrong. I listen to Anthology about as often as I listen to any of their proper albums (and actually, over the years, have downloaded a lot more "rehearsals" that are even more interesting (the 7-ish minute long version of Flying, for example).

Stan Rozenfeld

Stunt Coordinator
I listened to Beatles on the radio and I like what I heard, but have not owned any albums. Can anyone make a recommendation on which albums would be the best place to start? I take it that these Capitol Albums are later remixes, and that it's best to first get british versions?

Thanks,
Stan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks