What's new

Beatles Anthology Review??? (1 Viewer)

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
The compression artifacts were only noticable to me in Recollections section of the Bonus Materials disc. I didn't notice any problems with the rest of the set. Of course, I was so caught up in how freakin AMAZING the music sounded that some minor artifacting might have slipped by unnoticed. :)

fawaz_azeem

Auditioning
I am still waiting for some proper reviews of this marvellous set. So if any of you see any please post the links here.

I've only seen a little bit of my copies, but the videos for "Rain" and "Paperback Writer" sounded and looked amazming.

Also does any one have a song with corresponding chapter and time listing? It would be great to have this so we can easily find specific songs.

Dale Ridgeway

Stunt Coordinator
Bring on the SACD's or DVD-A!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The mixes are amazing from Rubber Soul through Abbey Road. Im assuming the entire catalog has been remixed???? as there are snippits of songs that sound fully remixed in 5.1
Did George Martin have a hand in the new mixes?
It's amazing all of the little sounds and vocals that that have been brought alive that were buried in the prior mixes.:emoji_thumbsup:

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
I got through the first disc. I thought the studio chatter in episode 2 is cool, and hearing george martin saying "take 2" etc. in the rear surround right speaker. Its sounds like being in the studio.

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
A great, great set, and a must for Beatlemaniacs.

I did notice compression noise at times, somewhat disappointing, but those splendid surround mixes make up for it. Outstanding.

My favorite DVD release of the year!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I am still waiting for some proper reviews of this marvellous set. So if any of you see any please post the links here.

I've only seen a little bit of my copies, but the videos for "Rain" and "Paperback Writer" sounded and looked amazming.
I'm sorry, but I have to ask:

Why?

Maybe I'm different but I usually wait for reviews for titles I'm unsure about purchasing without seeing what someone else says about it. If you've already bought it, then why don't you just watch it and make your own judgment or review? Just wondering.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I am still waiting for some proper reviews of this marvellous set.
From what I can tell, EMI sent out no review copies to Internet writers. I've tried to snag one and have been rebuffed. I plan to grab my own and write it up eventually, but I have to give priority to titles from studios that actually send screeners, so it might be a while before I get to it...

John Kwong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JK
Have to enthusiastically agree with some of the comments, the audio is OUTSTANDING . Now only if they would re-release their catalog remastered!!!!

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
From what I can tell, EMI sent out no review copies to Internet writers.
Apparently not many print people got it either.

I picked up mine today at Best Buy and am halfway through it right now. I think it's easily the must-have DVD release of April; despite the video issues.

Darren D

Stunt Coordinator
Sweet mama this set is fantastic! Absolutely a must-have.

I don't care about any picture shortcomings...I'm hard of hearing, but the SOUND on this set absolutely blows me away! I don't think they should do their music in SACD, or DVD-A...hell, do 'em in DTS on DVD. Every single album. At least DTS will play on the majority of DVD players already out there and give as outstanding an experience as anything else. And I won't have to buy anything new... :)

Maybe they'll even consider putting out more studio stuff with the patter included like Chapter 2 has(and the bootlegs have had for years). Gives a whole new perspective on creative music-making. 'Course they'd have to be subtitled to translate those accents for SOME of us Americans... :)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
1 - The entire catalog is to be re-released in SACD next year. Not sure if 5.1 will be an option, but given what we've heard on Anth, it seems possible.

2 - I have a time code breakdown of the set, but it was done for the laserdisc version. Shouldn't be too much trouble to do the math for the DVD. Would anyone like me to post it? You'll can do your own math on the thing. :) Here's a sample:

Disk 5 Side 1 35:20

Chap Time Description
---- ----- -----------
1 00:35 Shea Stadium intro by Ed Sullivan
01:33 Twist And Shout, Shea Stadium, incomplete
03:12 I Feel Fine, Shea Stadium, complete
06:50 Baby's In Black, Shea Stadium, complete
10:24 I'm Down, Shea Stadium, complete
2 15:46 Meeting Elvis
3 20:49 More tour craziness, musicianship deteriorates
23:23 New musical directions, Rubber Soul
27:25 Norwegian Wood, Take 1, incomplete
4 30:48 Revolver
32:21 Excerpts from film Yellow Submarine, home movie
footage poolside

Of course the DVD chapters takes care of most of this, it's still nice to see what is on the discs without having to load the disc.

-paul

fawaz_azeem

Auditioning
Why?
I would love to read reviews, even though I have already bought the set, since in the forsee able future I do not have time to sit though the entire set and would love to know what some of the real highlights are so I can specifically watch those first.

Al B. C

Supporting Actor

Where did you get this info?

You must have some inside info that no one else has anywhere that I know of.

Can you post a link or site some sources?

Thanks.

GregK

Screenwriter
Paul D G,

The sample you provided is excellent, and a complete listing would be wonderful. It was *exactly* the kind of information I was looking for. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Richard Gilmore

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up my copy yesterday at Costco and I was surprised that there were only four copies of it. It looks like the production was pretty close to the distribution as this is a set thought one would think would be well stocked.

I had a chance to skim through some of the songs last night and I listened with my mouth open in awe at hearing them in with such clarity - it sounds stunningly good to me.

It is a bit of an emotional trip for me as I have been a fan for almost 40 years. A few of the clips, especially when Paul talks about his conversation with John about the lyrics of "Hey Jude" were very emotional. This set is definitely a keeper.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
It's not very nice to post such things. One might get the impression that internet forums are little more than hotbeds of rumor and rank hearsay, with nothing more to offer than endless, meaningless blather that's rarely interesting and invariably false. One just might become dejected.

Darren D

Stunt Coordinator
It's not very nice to post such things. One might get the impression that internet forums are little more than hotbeds of rumor and rank hearsay, with nothing more to offer than endless, meaningless blather that's rarely interesting and invariably false. One just might become dejected.
And I woulda prolly bought an SACD player JUST for this. :frowning:

*crying*

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks