What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Beastmaster DiviMax (1 Viewer)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
A special edition of "The Beastmaster" is coming out next month. Does anyone know if it's the same transfer as the existing release. The current offering is already anamorphic with DD 5.1EX and DTS 6.1 just like the upcoming Divimax release. Just wondered if there was any restoration effort for this release. My guess is it's the exact same transfer with a few goodies thrown in.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Actually it should be a new high def transfer like the ones that were given to previous DiviMax DVDs of Manhunter, Halloween, and Dawn of the Dead which featured newer transfers. From what I've seen of the specs, they are actually reducing the number of features on this release. Here is a comparison:

Anchor Bay release:

-Audio commentary with co-writer and director Don Coscarelli and co-writer and producer Paul Pepperman

-THX certified
-"Behind The Scenes" footage
-Original production art
-Poster and still galleries
-Theatrical trailer
-Cast and crew biographies
-16 page booklet of original pre-production sketches

-Anamorphic Widescreen (1.85:1)
-English DTS-ES 6.1, 6.1 EX, and Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround

-Plus an easter egg of outtakes which mostly showcase more of Tanya Robert's nudity.

The DiviMax SE:

-55-minute documentary "The Saga Of The Beastmaster"
-Theatrical Trailer
-Cast and Crew biographies

-Anamorphic Widescreen from a new high definition master (1.85:1)
-English DTS-ES 6.1, 6.1 EX, and Dolby Digital 2.0 Surround

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Unless the new HD transfer is shockingly superior to the former release I think I will stick with the old version as I am pretty happy with it.

Time will tell though.

Randy B A

Supporting Actor
I will get the new one if the transfer is awesome. However I will keep the old one for the extras and easter eggs. One of my favs from 80's cable. Makes for a good double feature with Sheena.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
According to what AB originally posted on their website, the Divimax release will carry over the features from the original disc:

"Featuring a brand-new hi-definition 16x9 transfer, this DiviMax approved DVD will include extras from the previous DVD along with new interviews with Don Coscarelli, Marc Singer, Tanya Roberts, and much more!"

Let's hope it's true.

DJ

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
This is out tomorrow. Anxious to hear how the transfer compares to the previous release.

If it's a major improvement, I'll pick it up while it's cheap at DDD.

Thanks in advance to anyone who provides some feedback.

Joe:C

Second Unit
I'll be picking this up. The Anchor Bay site says it has all the previous special features from the old disc and some all new ones. I'm glad I waited and didn't get the old disc.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Whoah. Glad I have the original disc. I know what I'm doing on my lunch break.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Considering who submitted that Easter Egg, I can only assume Tanya got some really great DVD news and was dancing naked when they filmed that. ;)

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
According to the review at digitallyobsessed.com, aside from the old featurette (which is replaced by a new hour-long doc), all extras from the original release (including the infamous easter egg) are ported over to the new release. The reviewer at DVDTalk opined that most, if not all, of the footage from the featurette on the original disc is incorporated into the new featurette.

DJ

Joe:C

Second Unit
I'm glad all the old stuff has been carried over. I just ordered the new version from deepdiscountdvd and can't wait to watch it. It's been a long time since I've actually watched Beastmaster.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Yes, but is the transfer much better? If it isn't an astronomical improvement (and the first DVD's transfer wasn't exactly a slouch to begin with) I see no reason for me to double dip.

Any comparison shots from someone?

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Per DVD Talk: Both these sites report opposite opinions of the video quality of the new Anchor Bay release and the favorable reviewer didn't have an original version to compare it to.:frowning:

No double dipping here unless someone can substantiate a superior video improvement over the last Anchor Bay release.;)

Paul

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Paul, I don't understand, why the winky?

For what it's worth, I didn't have a problem with the grain in the transfer of the original DVD....but then again I kind of like a little bit of grain in a transfer anyway, gives it more of a film-like quality IMO.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
"Grain problems" are the sort of thing that are often endemic to a film itself and, if a transfer is faithful to that film, such "problems" won't disappear in a new transfer.

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks