What's new

BBC receives complaints about Rowan Atkinson sketch (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
2,200 people complained to the BBC when Rowan Atkinson did a sketch on the British Charity Telethon.Sketch in question has Atkinson play a fictional version of the Archbishop of Canterbury who compared boy band, One Direction to Jesus's disciples and saying prayer doesn't work.Regulator Ofcom will be investigating and the sketch has been pulled from the iplayer.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The joke is that you can't do edgy humour anymore on the BBC, ( or so many other channels these days ) its so politically correct and i'm not laughing, they shouldn't give in to censorship and should keep it on the iplayer, these people complaining need to understand that not everyone has the same sense of humour and they should live and let live, less complaining and less narrow minded views would go a long way in this world.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I love Rowan Atkinson, and I watched the sketch and found it funny.It's too bad that everything has to be nit picked these days.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It's a variation on the same censorious attitude Monty Python faced back in the day: offend absolutely no one, anywhere at any time.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
The joke is that you can't do edgy humour anymore on the BBC...
As an American, I'm not really familiar with the BBC's broadcasting standards but I thought they were alot cooler about their content than the U.S. networks. Don't they allow people to say "fuck" on TV in the UK? In America, the FCC is hypocritical enough that it only allows movies directed by Steven Spielberg or Boston baseball players to do that.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
TravisR said:
As an American, I'm not really familiar with the BBC's broadcasting standards but I thought they were alot cooler about their content than the U.S. networks. Don't they allow people to say "fuck" on TV in the UK? In America, the FCC is hypocritical enough that it only allows movies directed by Steven Spielberg or Boston baseball players to do that.
You can say it after 9pm which is considered the watershed, i have seen the word used on Graham Nortons chat show and obviously on feature films broadcast after 9pm but when it comes to comedy shows i do think there is a lot more political correctness on what gets commissioned and shown these days on BBC 1 and 2, you do get imports such as Family Guy on BBC 3 which is funny and not at all politically correct but it's not made by the BBC.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I love British humor. It's so much different from the US. Haven't seen the sketch, but should be able to find it somewhere.

So they got 2300 whiners out of several million who probably watched it. The 2300 should lighten up or fall back to that good old stand-by, change the channel. Don't dictate to the rest of us who enjoy things like this.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Stan said:
I love British humor. It's so much different from the US. Haven't seen the sketch, but should be able to find it somewhere.

So they got 2300 whiners out of several million who probably watched it. The 2300 should lighten up or fall back to that good old stand-by, change the channel. Don't dictate to the rest of us who enjoy things like this.
I tend to think this is what will happen; I mean, after all, if Jeremy Clarkson can get away with a joke about Lorrie drivers killing prostitutes, how bad can this be, really?

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
JohnS said:
2,200 people complained to the BBC when Rowan Atkinson did a sketch on the British Charity Telethon.

Sketch in question has Atkinson play a fictional version of the Archbishop of Canterbury who compared boy band, One Direction to Jesus's disciples and saying prayer doesn't work.
Atkinson tends to be brick-subtle when it comes to the standard British-comic trope of atheist jokes taking the wide sweep of poking easy Anglican targets. The Richard Curtis "Archbishop" episode of Black Adder 1 tends to be particularly disingenuous in its shock/anger-management.
(In the UK, there's little difference between Catholicism and Protestant Anglicanism, so UK comics tend to leap to smartypants conclusions.)
Earlier, there was a controversy over the UK reigning in tighter controls over jokes parodying religion, after the Muhammad-cartoon flap, and guess who was the first out there championing "first amendment" rights for the comic who might lose his big act?

(I'm starting to suspect the complete-bastard "Ron Anderson" comic Atkinson played in Curtis's script for "The Tall Guy" may not have been as fictional as we were led to believe...)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks