What's new

General Discussion BATTLESTAR GALACTICA (2003-2008) (3 Viewers)

Wes Candela

Visual Storytelling Enthusiast
Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
IMG_5244.jpeg

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Jim, I have to say you have me back in nostalgia mode

I turned on Battlestar Galactica again last night. I went into the miniseries, and then I decided to jump cut to where you are at the end of season one...and my God, you have one hell of a story in front of you.

Yes, Ron D Moore's statement:

When the Blu-ray was released, it was the first time we could see the show in its native 1080P format with lossless audio.
This is what he was referring to. It was pretty exciting at the time.

Watching BSG in 1080P 24 FPS with DTS-HD MA audio was the highest quality it had ever been available in.

Ronald D. Moore was pretty proud and excited for us to see it the way that this was his statement at the onset.

I've re-watched the entire show with the movies beginning to end at least 4 to 5 times.

BTW, you can watch the box sets of each season. That's more than enough to keep you satisfied, and to get the story.

However, they were producing a lot of material in between seasons (webisodes and a movie or two), all relevant to the story.

If you want to do the deep dive...I've made a list of how to do so below.

You can find the webisodes available online. But the movie RAZOR, hopefully, your library, has. it's pretty critical (and killer)

Here is the official watching list:
View attachment 214430
  1. Miniseries (Parts 1 & 2)
  2. Season 1 (13 Episodes)
  3. Season 2 (20 Episodes)
  4. The Resistance Webisodes (10 Mini Episodes)
  5. Season 3 (20 Episodes)
  6. Razor Flashbacks Webisodes ( 7 Episodes)
  7. Razor (Movie)
  8. Season 4.0 (10 Episodes)
  9. The Face Of The Enemy (10 Webisodes)
  10. Season 4.5 (11 Episodes)
  11. * The Plan

* Don't Bother Unless You Must

SO SAY WE ALL!
Wes, all very exciting. And I did laugh when you said you fired yours up again. I think I finished S1 ep 12 last week, so I should hit last ep 13 (they are at a relative's house, across town where we are watching together - all for the first time! We love it!).

Thank you for the list, because as I started to look into this, I realized there are some confusing seasons/movies/webisodes/ etc. Really enjoying the high definition, and lossless audio - all a richer experience. Anyway, so your list is terrific, and I will try to use as reference via the initial confusion (pant, pant, pant). Kind thanks for the list! Here is the
Home Theater Forum's discussions on some past release.

Again, this was all from the recommendation of Digitalbits.com's Bill Hunt that he posted randomly on Facebook! Here is his review: BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: THE DEFINITIVE COLLECTION (WITH CAPRICA) (AUSTRALIAN IMPORT) (BLU-RAY REVIEW)
of the box set, that I found from him. Now I'm wishing I could watch the 2004+ reboot with you in a killer home theater!! Wouldn't that be a dream. Always fun to see something with a mega fan, alas, you are across the United States. Anyway, thanks again, and I'm looking forward to more. I need to check out season 2 this weekend from the Eugene Public Library. All so much fun. ...I hope there are more fights :emoji_upside_down:

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
THE CYLONS WERE CREATED BY MAN.

THEY WERE CREATED TO MAKE LIFE EASIER ON THE TWELVE COLONIES.

AND THEN THE DAY CAME WHEN THE CYLONS DECIDED TO KILL THEIR MASTERS.

AFTER A LONG AND BLOODY STRUGGLE, AN ARMISTICE WAS DECLARED.

THE CYLONS LEFT FOR ANOTHER WORLD TO CALL THEIR OWN.

A REMOTE SPACE STATION WAS BUILT...

...WHERE CYLON AND HUMAN COULD MEET AND MAINTAIN DIPLOMATIC RELATIONS.

EVERY YEAR, THE COLONIALS SEND AN OFFICER.

THE CYLONS SEND NO ONE.

NO ONE HAS SEEN OR HEARD FROM THE CYLONS IN OVER FORTY YEARS.

"It has begun..."

IMG_5246.png

Last edited:

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Oh, you’re at such a good part.
You have no idea what’s in the store for you with episode 14 leading into season two

So yes, I was watching live
A friend of mine gave me the pilot on DVD to watch and I refused to turn it on

Because of the golden Age of television had not announced itself yet so I didn’t believe in it

But I kept staring at this with Edward James Olmos staring back at me.
And finally, one day I put it in, and I watched

So say we all

I was rocked

It was three weeks before season two premiered

I asked him to give me the first season so I could devour it and tune in to season two episode one the night it aired (which became critical… You'll understand why this Friday night)

Then I watched every season live every episode week to week
By season three, Rolling Stone called it the best drama on television

The special effects were Hollywood quality special effects costing the sci-fi channel and the show millions but the writing was so great. It was out of this world so I stayed with it until the season finale.

it's one of my top five favorite shows of all time
That was fantastic to read through, Wes, thanks for sharing. Wow! Fun, satisfying journey, and you caught it all when it was mostly hot off the press! The guy, who I'm following, his latest favorite is Apple+ (which I don't have) "For All Mankind," he says is incredible. But BG, Yes, the sets and action scenes look fantastically cinematic - impressive budget. I'm guessing the respect of producer/creater etc Ronald D. Moore boosted Sci-Fi's faith in budget spending $.

....it's funny, I just re-watched 1981's ambitious "Wolfen" 6 months ago, via a 4-pack Blu-ray I got (I wanted Body Snatchers and The Hunger), and Edward James Olmos was really animated, spry, running naked (!) and wildly physical in that film - like a completely different person from Battlestar G, tho 20+ years later, and as he should be. I just sometimes look at him and think...this was that wild actor from "Wolfen?" Yep.

1709057992593.png

BTW, regarding this thread, at the beginning of the BG Season 1 Blu-ray, Moore introduces it, and he talks about how the series is specifically made and (re-?)mastered for the Blu-ray via originally recorded in "high definition cameras," tho I'm not sure if that was 1080p/2k/4k (probably not 4K). He's clearly proud of it. The picture isn't flawless (Pilot is especially grainy, sad to say), but it quickly looks strong with some impressive scenes of depth, unforgiving close-ups, and of course being in space a lot of darkness to manage. Again, fun to hear your history with the show's run, and I'm selfishly looking forward to more episodes. :emoji_eggplant:

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
That was fantastic to read through, Wes, thanks for sharing. Wow! Fun, satisfying journey, and you caught it all when it was mostly hot off the press! The guy, who I'm following, his latest favorite is Apple+ (which I don't have) "For All Mankind," he says is incredible. But BG, Yes, the sets and action scenes look fantastically cinematic - impressive budget. I'm guessing the respect of producer/creater etc Ronald D. Moore boosted Sci-Fi's faith in budget spending $.

....it's funny, I just re-watched 1981's ambitious "Wolfen" 6 months ago, via a 4-pack Blu-ray I got (I wanted Body Snatchers and The Hunger), and Edward James Olmos was really animated, spry, running naked (!) and wildly physical in that film - like a completely different person from Battlestar G, tho 20+ years later, and as he should be. I just sometimes look at him and think...this was that wild actor from "Wolfen?" Yep.

View attachment 214409

BTW, regarding this thread, at the beginning of the BG Season 1 Blu-ray, Moore introduces it, and he talks about how the series is specifically made and (re-?)mastered for the Blu-ray via originally recorded in "high definition cameras," tho I'm not sure if that was 1080p/2k/4k (probably not 4K). He's clearly proud of it. The picture isn't flawless (Pilot is especially grainy, sad to say), but it quickly looks strong with some impressive scenes of depth, unforgiving close-ups, and of course being in space a lot of darkness to manage. Again, fun to hear your history with the show's run, and I'm selfishly looking forward to more episodes. :emoji_eggplant:

I turned on Battlestar Galactica again last night. I went into the miniseries, and then I decided to jump cut to where you are at the end of season one...and my God, you have one hell of a story in front of you.

When the Blu-ray was released, it was the first time we could see the show in its native 1080P format with lossless audio.

Watching BSG in 1080P 24 FPS with DTS-HD MA audio was the highest quality it had ever been available in.

Ronald D. Moore was pretty proud and excited for us to see it the way that this was his statement at the onset.

I've re-watched the entire show with the movies beginning to end at least 4 to 5 times.

BTW, you can watch the box sets of each season. That's more than enough to keep you satisfied, and to get the story.

However, they were producing a lot of material in between seasons (webisodes and a movie or two), all relevant to the story.

You can find the webisodes available online. But the movie RAZOR, hopefully, your library, has. it's pretty critical (and killer)

Battlestar_Galactica_Last_Supper-2-2.JPG

7. Razor (Movie)
  11. * The Plan

SO SAY WE ALL!

Last edited:

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Not familiar with deep space NINE. No. But I am a massive fan of Ron D. Moore and Battlestar Galactica, and I believe Ron worked on Deep Space.
Just started Moore's Battlestar Galactica (2003-2009), Wes. Great pilot, and now watching a couple of episodes every Friday night (via Blu-ray from the library)..... They are as outstanding as others have said. Enjoying every second. All from the repeated recommendations from Bill Hunt, long time owner of digitalbits.com, and He's right. Wow..... 83" screen and putting it through a 7.1 set up. Sometimes gut wrenching decisions, yet often thrilling.
Battlestar Galactica Ship GIF by PeacockTV

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
Just started Moore's Battlestar Galactica (2003-2009), Wes. Great pilot, and now watching a couple of episodes every Friday night (via Blu-ray from the library)..... They are as outstanding as others have said. Enjoying every second. All from the repeated recommendations from Bill Hunt, long time owner of digitalbits.com, and He's right. Wow..... 83" screen and putting it through a 7.1 set up. Sometimes gut wrenching decisions, yet often thrilling.
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!
so say we all!!!!!!!!!

1708809550084.gif

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

View attachment 214430
  7. Razor (Movie)
  11. * The Plan

SO SAY WE ALL!
Is that image from the Last Supper episode?

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I’m so amped that you’re watching this Jim I’ve suggested the show and recommended it to so many people over the years. The ones that have dared to venture in and finish it within a few weeks always
The storytelling in my opinion is what elevated us to the golden age of television 15 years ago.

It’s debatable to say what launched the golden age, but I feel Battlestar Galactica helped propel television, long format television into a whole new venue for storytellers to tell stories on a big scale.

Anyway, how far are you? How far have you gotten so far?
Thanks Wes,
Watching episodes every Friday for fun. So I'm at S1 Ep 13 (of 14) Kind of a cliff hanger, but I'm just going to have to wait till next week. Glad you recommend them, as you are right - the writing is fantastic - many stars are in alignment. Difficult choices, twists and flawed, but talented characters. I guess it was part of the time of ushering in golden age of TV.

Got it from the Eugene Public Library (Oregon), and the Blu-ray disc looks clean, but I think it's damaged. Often some of the discs have frozen up on the 4K player multiple times. So I have to play it on a Blu-ray player that handles troubled discs better (ahhhh, 1st world problems....). Still looks terrific, but the boost form the 4K player does look slightly better. The 5.1 audio is fun, especially with the space fights, and rain on Caprica, with good discrete effects in the rears, which I'm a geeky fan of.

1708916621046.png

The issue of some of the Cylons becoming debatably sentient is probably the best, freshest component to the whole storytelling, imo. ....all thanks again to Bill Hunt of DigitalBits.com espousing it regularly, or I wouldn't have even started it :emoji_upside_down: . ....did you start it and get hooked when it first aired or...?

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
Thanks Wes,
Watching episodes every Friday for fun. So I'm at S1 Ep 13 (of 14) Kind of a cliff hanger, but I'm just going to have to wait till next week. Glad you recommend them, as you are right - the writing is fantastic - many stars are in alignment. Difficult choices, twists and flawed, but talented characters. I guess it was part of the time of ushering in golden age of TV.

Got it from the Eugene Public Library (Oregon), and the Blu-ray disc looks clean, but I think it's damaged. Often some of the discs have frozen up on the 4K player multiple times. So I have to play it on a Blu-ray player that handles troubled discs better (ahhhh, 1st world problems....). Still looks terrific, but the boost form the 4K player does look slightly better. The 5.1 audio is fun, especially with the space fights, and rain on Caprica, with good discrete effects in the rears, which I'm a geeky fan of.

View attachment 214184

The issue of some of the Cylons becoming debatably sentient is probably the best, freshest component to the whole storytelling, imo. ....all thanks again to Bill Hunt of DigitalBits.com espousing it regularly, or I wouldn't have even started it :emoji_upside_down: . ....did you start it and get hooked when it first aired or...?
Oh, you’re at such a good part.
You have no idea what’s in the store for you with episode 14 leading into season two

So yes, I was watching live
A friend of mine gave me the pilot on DVD to watch and I refused to turn it on

Because of the golden Age of television had not announced itself yet so I didn’t believe in it

But I kept staring at this with Edward James Olmos staring back at me.
And finally, one day I put it in, and I watched

So say we all

I was rocked

It was three weeks before season two premiered

I asked him to give me the first season so I could devour it and tune in to season two episode one the night it aired (which became critical… You'll understand why this Friday night)

Then I watched every season live every episode week to week
By season three, Rolling Stone called it the best drama on television

The special effects were Hollywood quality special effects costing the sci-fi channel and the show millions but the writing was so great. It was out of this world so I stayed with it until the season finale.

it's one of my top five favorite shows of all time

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!
so say we all!!!!!!!!!

I’m so amped that you’re watching this Jim I’ve suggested the show and recommended it to so many people over the years. The ones that have dared to venture in and finish it within a few weeks always
The storytelling in my opinion is what elevated us to the golden age of television 15 years ago.

It’s debatable to say what launched the golden age, but I feel Battlestar Galactica helped propel television, long format television into a whole new venue for storytellers to tell stories on a big scale.

Anyway, how far are you? How far have you gotten so far?

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela

View attachment 214430
  7. Razor (Movie)
  11. * The Plan

SO SAY WE ALL!
Hey Jim!!

View attachment 214430
  7. Razor (Movie)
  11. * The Plan

SO SAY WE ALL!
yo, Jim!!!

Just created a thread for us to discuss a little BSG!

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela
Wes, all very exciting. And I did laugh when you said you fired yours up again. I think I finished S1 ep 12 last week, so I should hit last ep 13 (they are at a relative's house, across town where we are watching together - all for the first time! We love it!).

Thank you for the list, because as I started to look into this, I realized there are some confusing seasons/movies/webisodes/ etc. Really enjoying the high definition, and lossless audio - all a richer experience. Anyway, so your list is terrific, and I will try to use as reference via the initial confusion (pant, pant, pant). Kind thanks for the list! Here is the
Home Theater Forum's discussions on some past release.

Again, this was all from the recommendation of Digitalbits.com's Bill Hunt that he posted randomly on Facebook! Here is his review: BATTLESTAR GALACTICA: THE DEFINITIVE COLLECTION (WITH CAPRICA) (AUSTRALIAN IMPORT) (BLU-RAY REVIEW) of the box set, that I found from him. Now I'm wishing I could watch the 2004+ reboot with you in a killer home theater!! Wouldn't that be a dream. Always fun to see something with a mega fan, alas, you are across the United States. Anyway, thanks again, and I'm looking forward to more. I need to check out season 2 this weekend from the Eugene Public Library. All so much fun. ...I hope there are more fights :emoji_upside_down:
First off
this has been a pleasure!

and I’d live to be able to sit and watch Togther!!!

They did a great job with this Blu-rays, and don’t mention the help with the list!

when I was watching live, you had to go on the website (20 years ago) and download the webispdes.

Wasn't sure what they were all talking about until the next season premiered
Bill hunt is fantastic over at the digital bits

I’ve chatted with him a few times good man very knowledgeable, Kind.
I love that you’re watching because you got me to fire it back up

and believe me when I say by the end of season one you’ll know you’re in for it, but it’s really the end of season two to season three when I realized I was watching one of the best shows ever made

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Moore’s Battlestar is arguably the greatest science-fiction show that’s ever been on television. It is certainly the most mature. When it was on, it was the best show on TV. I have rarely, if ever, had weekly episodic television keep me on the edge of my seat like this one did.

I’m hoping to rewatch it this year; it’s been too long.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Moore’s Battlestar is arguably the greatest science-fiction show that’s ever been on television. It is certainly the most mature. When it was on, it was the best show on TV. I have rarely, if ever, had weekly episodic television keep me on the edge of my seat like this one did.

It was a terrific show and I've done at least three complete viewings of the show. One of the more interesting ways to consider the series is how its themes and story lines are informed by 9/11. (Secret attacks, rampant paranoia, civilian losses, etc.)

I completed my last viewing a while back (during Covid) and will probably spin it up again in a few years.

- Walter.

Wes Candela

Premium
Real Name
Wes Candela

Amen hallelujah! Just reading a few of Jim’s comments from another thread, got me to create this thread and to start re-watching the series. Because when you love it, any mention of it brings you right back in.

i’m now in the middle of episode five season two, I’m chain-watching and agreed Sam, one of the absolute best television shows ever made

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks