What's new

Bass Shakers (1 Viewer)

Daman

Second Unit
I wanted to know if anyone has had experience with them and how great are they for hometheater experience? i saw a pair of Aura Bass shakers available for 28 bucks at partsexpress.com but also read that they need their own amplifier and the equipment can be damaged if you run it with more than 25 watts RMS per channel and also the load should be 4 ohms.. so it all amounts to probably running a seperate amplifier for bass shakers.. which again i saw at Aura's website but i couldnt find the price of the same and neither is it available at parts express. can anyone tell me where i can buy that from/or will these shakers work with my reciever which is 75 watts per channel.. Thanks for all your replies!

Trevor_J

Second Unit
The probable reason why no one is answering is b/c this question seems to be asked once if not more a week. If you do a search you will find more posts than you'll ever want to read on this subject.

Good luck!

SteveLeach

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, you'll need a separate amp for the bass shakers.
If you run 2 bass shakers in series you'll have an 8ohm load. The most common way to run them is to run a splitter off of your subwoofer input. This gives you 2 subwoofer inputs, 1 goes to your subwoofer, the other to the amp for the bass shakers.
I have an old 100W receiver, that I ran the 2nd sub input to the AUX in. Then I hooked up 2 bass shakers in series to the left speaker terminals and 2 more in series to the right speaker terminals. I run the volume at about 30% of full range.
Works great! Hope this helps...

Trevor_J

Second Unit
P.S. as for my experience with them. They are great and they compliment even the best of subwoofer set ups.

Daman

Second Unit
Thanks a lot Steve and Trevor, well one of my questions got answered as to how to use them.. but where do i buy them from? I mean the amplifier, is it available online or do you know of any store which would have these? Tervor i did a search on this before posting up but could find only 1 thread for it.. ill try again and see. Thanks for your inputs :)

Trevor_J

Second Unit
Daman, any amplifier capable of handling at least a 4 ohm load is fine. I'm currently using a Yamaha 2092 receiver which is major overkill but it works until I find something more suitable. Parts Express sells plate amps that some have used with good results. Be warned that the plate amps are designed to be mounted to the side of a sub so the exposed innards are out of sight. If you go that route you'll want to build a small box to house the amp to pretty it up a bit. Alternatively, you could go to CC or BB and pick up a cheap 2 channel receiver. All you need is an amp that will accept line in (RCA) and volume control is highly preferrable but not necessary.

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
Alot of people get the small plate amps from parts express to run them.

****Edit****
Well it seems that trevor was writing my post as I was writing, the plate amps work well.

Daman

Second Unit
Thanks again :) and im sorry if this sounds dumb but i have to ask it :) so here goes.. if i go in for the cheap amp from CC or BB how would i connect it, my existing Subwoofer is a polk pws303 and i have connected it by running the main speaker wires to it and back to the speakers via the sub..and yes i have a yamaha htr 5640 reciever which is like 75 watts pc.. so would i need to connect the stereo(or plate) amp to the subwoofer? Also what should be the output of the stero reciever? 25 watts RMS per channel?? Please advice :D

Daman

Second Unit
that splitter idea from subwoofer which steve suggests, how would i make it work here since im not using a subwoofer cord to connect to the sub but rather running the main front speaker wires to it.Also would it overload the reciever in anyway? as i mentioned the reciever is 75 watts X 6 RMS.. and my sub is 100 watts..

SteveLeach

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, I'm not familar with the equipment that you have. If your receiver doesn't have a output to sub jack. If that's the case then you'll need to construct a custom cable that you would connect to the same terminals on the sub that your receiver is connected to. This cable would need to have a high impeadance so as to not increase the load to your receiver. This cable would also need a low pass filter, say somewhere around 50 to 100Hz. That way you are only driving your "new" bass shaker plate/amp or BB receiver with bass signal below your low pass filter. Constructing this cable is not for the faint of heart. If you get it wrong, you could be driving your "new" bass shaker plate/amp or BB receiver with to high of an input signal. Which could lead to letting the factory installed smoke out of all of your components. All in all, not a pretty sight.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I love having Bass Shakers in my set-up. My room has a concrete slab underneath it so I don't get the vibration from my SVS like some of my buddies do. The Shakers make up for this lack of vibration. I really think it adds to the HT experience. I keep them off for music though, because it doesn't feel natural to me.

Anyway, I have four of them, hooked up in two pairs of two, wired in series. (I guess that's confusing wording. Two are wired in series on the left channel, the same on the right.) I bought a used old Fisher 100W receiver for $20 to power them off of a split Sub channel. I also run my volume on them at about 90% of max. I haven't had a problem with them yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks