1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Bass Shaker Wiring

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Chris Tsutsui, May 6, 2004.

1. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I have 3 sofas, 4 Aura Pro shakers, and a single 120 Watt AMP stable at 4 ohms. (Parts Express $100 model)

All of this to work with, and some wires.

What I tried at first was to use 2 bass shakers wired in parallel to = 2 ohms, then I series wired that those two with a single 4 ohm shaker in an attempt to get 6 ohms total.

What ended up is the first (series wired) shaker doesn't play anything, but the two parallel wired shakers shake plenty.

Now do you think I blew out the first shaker because of the bad wiring? Or does it not play because the way it is wired...

Or should I try 4 shakers and just put two shakers on the middle couch. Hook up 2 parallel, and the other two parallel, and then hook up those pairs in series to yield 4 ohms.

Or should I just wire the 3 bass shakers in series so that it's 12 ohms...

Thanks...

2. MattD

MattD Stunt Coordinator

Chris,

What you want to do is take 2 bass shakers and wire them in series (4+4 =8 Ohms). Then do this with the other set of 2. Then wire the 2 pairs of bass shakers in parallel. Then the amp will be seeing 4 ohms. (1/(1/8ohm) + (1/8ohms) = 4ohms)

Matt