What's new

Basic acoustic guitar help needed (1 Viewer)

Gui A

Supporting Actor
Hi,

I'd like to fix up the family guitar, as it's about 20-30 years old. The strings have never been changed, and I'm assuming it's time. Especially since the two outer ones are broken...

-What kind of string should I get? I'm just starting to learn, so i'm guessing something soft?

-What are the pegs on that hold the string to the bridge called?

-Does anything need to be done to the machine heads? Oil? It keeps coming out of tune.

-How much would it cost to get it restrung/tuned? I'd like to know an average price so I don't get hosed by a store.

-And last, I can't seem too much info on this particular model of guitar. The label inside says Ventura Bruno, Model V-6, Serial 68938. Has anybody heard of it?
The only info I've found on google is that they've stopped making them, they were imported by Bruno from Japan, and they were made by Fender (I doubt that last bit of info is true though).
The store label on the back of the head is from Bradford's Music Inc. 726-3990 Vista. (which I find odd, since I'm pretty sure my parents were still in Peru 20-30 years ago).

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

EDIT: Here's a bit more background info on how the guitar was acquired.

A long time ago, one of my uncles brought a live-in Brazilian girlfriend to my grandparent's home. She had been having problems at home or something. Later on, when she moved out, she left the guitar. Whether it was a gift, or just forgotten, we don't know. Much later, my uncle got married, and the new wife wasn't cool with having an ex's guitar in the new house, so she wanted to throw it out. My grandma said if you're going to throw it out, might as well just give it to her and she'll store it. So she did. A few years ago, my brother expressed an interest in learning how to play guitar. Grandma said she had a guitar, and she'd bring it over the next time she came. She did, but then my brother didn't feel like playing anymore. So it's been hanging around the house ever since.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The only suggestion I have is if the guitar in question is a classical guitar (Nylon strings), do not put steel strings on it. Those guitars are not designed to handle the stresses steel strings put on it and can warp the neck. I've seen the results, it isn't pretty. Nylon strings usually are half plain (white), with the other half wrapped in steel.

Jason

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Let's tackle the questions one by one.

-How much would it cost to get it restrung/tuned? I'd like to know an average price so I don't get hosed by a store.
In my experience, it usually adds about $5 (American) to the cost of the strings. Tuning is included with the restringing.

As to any info on the guitar, I'll have to check the Blue Book early next week. Bruno is now called Kaman Music and they serve as a distributor for many different brands.

George See

Second Unit
You can usually pick up a tuner to tune the guitar yourself for a pretty low cost, I've seen them as low as $15.00 your definently going to want to be able to tune it from home....it's not like a piano where it stays in tune for A long time...Depending on how much you play And how you play you'll find the guitar goes out of tune fairly often....For example I tune mine usually every other day sometimes more depending how much i'm playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks