What's new

baseball games (1 Viewer)

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
Excuse the rant, but the thread on WSB got me thinking....

I dont know how it is now on too many games, but I hate baseball games that do not let you control your fielders. I want TOTAL CONTROL. Right after the ball is hit, I want to be able to control the fielder that its going to, and be able to react fast enough to dive, jump, etc..

Some games just field the ball for you and you pick the base to throw to. How boring. I know on some games there's an option. Like All-Star 2003 on PS2 has all the options you could ask for.

If people want to have help fielding, fine. But at least give us the option.

Anyone agree? Or disagree?

What are some of your favorite baseball games? Im a fan of Super Bases Loaded on the Super Nintendo. Its a blast!

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I feel the same way, I love total control.

I always hated the way some older baseball games for systems like SNES had fake players with made up names.

I've always been a fan of Triple Play: Gold Edition for Sega Genesis.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
I used to be all about Triple Play for PSX, then I was all about All-Star for N64.

Now the best baseball game EVER, in my opinion, is High Heat 2k3 for PS2. I love that game.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Anyone remember the original Baseball for the Atari 2600 (we called it the VCS). You controlled all three outfielders at once (or was it two?) and could control the pitch using the joystick - even slowing it down for a changeup or speeding it up for a fastball.

You couldn't throw the ball - you just had to tag the guy so you moved really fast.

A home run just darted off the screen, made all sorts of 2-bit noises, flashed, and was very cool for its time.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
The last really good baseball game that I played was Bases Loaded on the NES. I skipped baseball in favor of other sports for a few years but I gave World Series 2k1 on the Dreamcast a shot. That game was so insultingly bad that I promised myself that I would never give baseball another shot on that console. I've been longing for some new games so hopefully the sport will get some good stuff for the X Box.

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
anyone tried MLB Slugfest 20-03?
Just rented it. Controls are confusing and kinda tough to get used to (even after about 4 hours of playing today).

But VERY fun, nevertheless. You can punch the fielders and baserunners, and catch on fire, and use your turbo to do anything twice as quick.

I recommend this rental to pretty much everyone who likes a fun baseball game.

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Oh man, you guys are really bringing back the memories. My buddy and I played RBI Baseball for hours on end! Tony Larussa was great too. My favorite was Micro League Baseball for the PC. I was such a stats geek that I used to write down how the players performed in a notebook and played a full 162 game schedule :D - For my money these days, it's HH2k3 for the PC - great downloads and one of the best sims you can get on the market.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
So what is the best baseball game for consoles now? I've got a PS2 and a Gamecube...any suggestions?

Jarrod_L

Stunt Coordinator
The original Bases Loaded game for the old NES was da bomb! I played whole seasons w/ the Texas team...their centerfielder was the best...was his name Marcus?, I can't recall....but I do remember that I could jack one out of the yard w/ him everytime I brough him to bat!

I also really loved Ken Griffey Junior's first baseball game for Super NES...I must have played about ten full seasons on that puppy! Too bad you couldn't trade him from the M's...the only player you couldn't trade! Arrh!

I'm still playing last year's offering of Triple Play for PS1, though I'm in the market for a baseball game for the PS2. So High Heat 2003 is good? I might have to check that out!

ScottMa

Auditioning
I liked World Series Baseball for the Sega Saturn. I thought that this was one of the best baseball games of it's time. Great graphics and wonderful gameplay.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I remember Bases loaded for the NES. That was my favorite game. Omaha was the best right? A guy named Wes or something like that. Hit a HR almost every time. Spent hours on that game. I have a PS2 now and need a great baseball game. Maybe I'll check out HH2003.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Try HH2003. It's tons of fun. It has its issues, but it's the best one out there now IMO.

Corbin Stirn

Second Unit
Carl, I would HIGHLY suggest you try MLB2K2 for Dreamcast(at least to get the taste of 2K1 out of your mouth). It was a dramatic improvement over 2K1. Plus you can actually control the fielders....imagine that! 2K2 is a good baseball game......I would recommend it. I feel that World Series Baseball 98 for the Saturn is STILL the best baseball game I've seen or played.

JamieD

Supporting Actor
I was personally incredibly disappointed in Baseball 2K2. While it was indeed better than the piece of garbage that was 2K1, it was still lacking in the hitting interface. I returned it within a week (after about 10 games) and went back to my High Heat 2001 season. As far as I am concerned, this is the best baseball game I have ever played.

Though I have to say, Ken Griffey for N64 and Ken Griffey's Winning Run for SNES are also good games.

DanHaya

Second Unit
I've played Triple Play each year on my PC...until this year of course since they didn't release a PC version. I'm still playing my TP2K1 full season (in the ALCS right now...playing as the Devil Rays, if you can believe that! lol). TP used to be the best baseball game out there, but I'm not sure anymore.

I loved the Tony LaRussa series...I was disapointed when it was discontinued. For its time, it had the best real simulation feel of any baseball game out there. And that's what I prefer...a true simulation of an entire season, with injuries, realistic statistics, accurate rosters, farm teams, etc.

Is there a game out there that combines the simulation feel of Tony LaRussa BB with the style and flair of Triple Play for either PC or PS2?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks