What's new

Band Of Brothers-Any word on a DVD and what is it's OAR? BBC are showing it in 14:9!! (1 Viewer)

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
I think watching this once you know the characters better would be more involving and I'd be interested in a DVD at the right price.
UK TV is showing this stupid ratio at the moment which they call 14:9 (1.56:1) but is more like 1.46:1, ie hardly any different to 4:3 but as nothing is filmed in this ratio, I guess they are matting most stuff.
Just wondered what ratio this was filmed in.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

HankM

Second Unit
When I watch BOB on HBO HD it is presented in 1.85:1 with DD sound
biggrin.gif

------------------

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
Regular (non-HD) HBO is showing it in widescreen (16x9)on one channel and 4x3 on the other. HBO, by the way, is a subscription service carried by cable and satellite here. No commercials.
The same pattern existed for The Sopranos, so I expect the R1 DVD will be anamorphic 16x9.

Paul W

Second Unit
Check this out: http://www.dvdsewer.com/news/reports/studioday2001/index.htm Paul Warren
Hey fella . . . I bet you're still livin' in your parent's cellar . . . downloading pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar . . . and posting "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er . . . I should do the world a favor and cap ya' like Old Yeller . . . you're just about as useless as MPEGs [sic] to Hellen Keller.

I'll second the vote for it looking great on BBC digital in 16:9.
I think you must be watching the analogue transmission to see 14:9 - this is a very common compromise the BBC use when they broadcast an analogue version of a 16:9 source. Happens with loads of other stuff, even Eastenders!

richard plumb

Stunt Coordinator
yep, its 16x9 on BBC digital. Looks very nice, but I havent' sat down and watched it yet.
If you are into watching quality programming in OAR, you really should consider a digibox - either Sky, ITV digital or digital cable. The pictures are much more stable (no ghosting), and almost all of the BBC and ITVs output is now 16x9

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
Richard, I would be into quality programming if there was any.
This series is the 1st thing I've tried not to miss for as long as I remember.
I have a projection system with a 10 foot screen & DD/DTS sound so I watch movies and as for TV, the movie chart show, oh and Film 2001 when I remember, maybe twice a year.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
On regular HBO it's letterboxed but only mildly so. It looks like it isn't as wide as The Sopranos. I'd say it's 14x9, not 16x9.
------------------
--Wayne Bundrick

Scott H

Supporting Actor
Not to nitpick but it has been transfered from film to HD which means it is 1.78:1 aspect ratio not 1.85:1.
Specifically to nitpick, transferring film to HD does not mean a 1.78:1 AR
wink.gif

Most of your DVDs are presented in their OAR and they were transferred from film to HD and then down the path to your encoded DVD. Any AR can be composed on any medium, film or video. SWE2 for instance was shot on 1.78:1 HD cameras but composed for a 2.40:1 extraction. Band Of Brother's could very well have been shot on film at 1.85:1 and transferred to HD at 1.85:1 and broadcast at that OAR.
That said, I don't know that the OAR is for Band Of Brothers, but it appears to be broadcast at 1.78:1 on our digital cable in L.A.
The frames in the ASC article are 1.33:1, though that means little: http://www.Cinematographer.com/magaz...,30286,00.html
Additional: http://www.kodak.com/country/US/en/m...brothers.shtml [url=http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/newsletters/inCamera/july2001/cinesite.shtml
------------------

Ian Such

Stunt Coordinator
I'm specifically making a point to miss this on analogue BBC, so I can catch it in its full DD5.1 glory on DVD.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I've been taping the PAN AND SCAN version that we get here on MovieCentral. I haven't watched a single episode because I want it when it's out on DVD.
Oh, how nice it will be on DVD....

richard plumb

Stunt Coordinator
I'm pretty sure its in dolby surround on BBC2. And it looks great on digital. Good enough to see if I like the story enough to buy it when the time comes. Which I would guess would be in R2/R4 before R1?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks