Bag End EL-18 Driver Question

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Andy Hardin, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Andy Hardin

Andy Hardin Stunt Coordinator

I've got a possibility to pick up the a couple of the bare drivers from the Bag End Infrasub-18 subwoofer. I've never had the chance to audition these myself, but from what I can tell from a bit of research this is a very nice piece of hardware.

The amp and crossover seem to have a good deal of circuitry (or marketing hype) about what the subwoofer does. My question is without all of that stuff, will I be able to get a good sound by building some replicated cabinets and powering it with existing amp (2 channel, 400 watts per).

Even if it isn't completely accurate to the factory sub, the ability to build 2 of these for 1/4 the cost of 1 from the factory has a great deal of appeal to me, plus the satisfaction of the DIY approach.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

2. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

can you get ahold of the TS parameters?

Also got a link to the sub?

3. JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen Second Unit

Someone may correct me, but I believe that the Bag End drivers are made by Eminence (and are relatively "short-throw" compared to modern drivers.) The Bag End subs uses an "ELF" circuit, which I believe is a purpose-built LT for that driver/box combo. If you buy the drivers and stick them in the same box as the Bag End, you are likely to get a sub with a very high F3 and little low bass. The parameters would be interesting to see, and the project "may" work if you use an LT/BFD and a powerful pro amp.
    JP

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

5. JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen Second Unit

Brian,
    I reread the article, and you are correct they are "different" (although in essence achieving the same result.) My point in comparing them to an LT was to imply that Andy would probably need some type of equalization to achieve the same results as the Bag End subs. Would you agree that without this eq'ing he would not end up with a true "subwoofer"?
    JP

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jim,

You're probably right about it not being a true subwoofer, but without knowing anything about the driver it's hard to tell.

7. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

A while ago I read from a post here that the drivers are off the shelf Eminence drivers w/4.5mm one way Xmax.