What's new

Backyard deck - cost/ideas? (1 Viewer)

Tom_Mack

Stunt Coordinator
I am hoping to add a backyard deck to my townhome, but I have no idea where to start. I want to have an clue on things before I start calling contractors.

The deck is going to be on a slight hill and will probably be around 16' by 18'. Nothing fancy.

Any idea on how much this should cost to make? I don't want to use the cheapest materials, but I'm not going to go for the expensive stuff either (we expect to move out in a couple years...)

I have done some quick searches on Yahoo/Google, but I feel more confused than before...

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
Since I am way out west your prices may varry. Here is a link to a local deck and fence supply/builder company. You can click on their weekly specials to see the add they run in the local papers http://www.ricksfencing.com/specials.shtml

I would bet that there are simmilar companys out your way.

You should decide on the material before getting quotes. Ceder, plastic, Red wood ect. then get at least 3 quotes and compare. My dad recently had a fence built and the quotes varried form $3000-$6000. Home Depot should be able to give you a quote (though it will prob. be high) Make sure all quotes are simmilar using like materials. Ask for referals as well and go look at some of their work.

Good luck on your project.

Bill_Weinreich

Second Unit
Tom,

Is this going to be a DIY or contracted out? First things first, have a basic idea of what and where you want,then check all local and state zoning laws. When I did mine, property lines where a big concerne and had to get a varience. I used an inexpensive 3D deck design software (Punch I think) to get a good idea of structual design, footers, lumber quantities and so forth. Also helps to have the drawings when you apply for a permit. My deck is a bit odd shaped but similar in square footage. When I built it three years ago, it cost me ~$1500 using standard pressure treated lumber. If you have any specific questions, I'd be more than happy to help.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks