What's new

Background on BenQ? (1 Viewer)

Well, I'm narrowing down my plans for my budding HT. As much as I like "the good stuff", I've decided to go entry-level for my first projector. I have other things I want to do with the HT (movable masking, curtains, house lights, etc); and not having a background in digital projection, I've decided to start the learning curve with an entry-level machine.

And then there is the "wife factor". She wants clothes, blah blah blah. I've about got her convinced to let my buy a projector in the $1000 range.

I was originally interested in the Sharp DT-200 but the lowest street price I've found was about $1400, from eBay rather than a storefront supplier.

The Infocus X1 stands out as a $1000 unit. Then I stumbled across the BenQ 6100. It seems to do about the same as the X1, and be a more current machine; but honestly I've never heard of BenQ before.

I can't find any local suppliers, so I doubt I'll be able to get a demo.

So, the questions:

1) What's the scoop on BenQ? Any background appreciated.

2) Any ideas on getting a demo?

3) Any other suggestions...

Thanks in advance...

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
BenQ has an put out a few projectors, mostly DLP that I can tell. I thought the image of the BenQ 8700 was pretty darn good but then again, it is one of their top of the line.

They used to be called ACER until recently.

Brian E

Screenwriter
Don't know anything specific to their projectors, but BenQ used to be known as Acer. It's a spinoff division that handles PC peripherals & stuff, while Acer still handles pre built computers.

Torgny Nilsson

Second Unit
I am seriously considering buying a BenQ PB7200 projector (which is about twice the price that you mentioned) on the rcommendations of the people at Alliant Solutions which I found through Projector Central. From what I have heard so far, never having seen one, the BenQ projectors seem like a really good buy for the money.

But you may want to check with Alliant, Projector Central, or someone else as they may have a different recommendation for your price range.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I used a Benq DX650 in a theater I installed last year. It's a little more than your price (cheapest you can find it is about $1500). But overall, I can say that Benq makes a darn good projector.

The theater I installed it in is kind of a community theater in the Bahamas, so the thing gets used several hours every day and probably half a day on most weekends. It's been in use since June and is still going strong. So I think the quality is excellent, and the model selection is all over the charts. You can spend as much or as little as you'd like.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks