What's new

Back To The Future Coming August 20TH- (1 Viewer)

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
March 12 - Romeo & Juliet (1996) (Special Edition) (Fox) (Commentary with Baz Luhrmann and others/MORE) :D :D :D

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
As a critic and admininstrator at efilmcritic, I can fully back the editor of this list. He's a fellow critic and good friend named Erik Childress, and if he has August 20th listed for BTTF, my first reaction is to believe him. (He's not the type of writer who publishes rumors.)

Seeing as how many times we've all been sucked into the BTTF release date frenzies, I'm off to email him right now to confirm his reports and alert him to this thread. While I'm certain that Erik would not publish a 'speculation', I am concerned that perhaps his sources are not as stringent.

I shall return.

Skoobooz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
I'm certainly willing to believe, if it's true.

(What an obvious statement.....)

Erik Childress

Auditioning
I appreciate Scott jumping up to the microphone on my behalf, and I just wanted to further put everyone's mind at ease.

First of all, the DVD list at eFilmCritic I've tried to create, is one that I hope is considered as the definitive DVD release date source.

Scott is right that I never publish rumors as facts, hence my inclusion of To Be Announced lists for 2002 and 2003. (Also, be sure to check the list update at the top of the page. I try to update the list every Friday/Saturday, which is why Jerry Maguire was listed only as TBA. The next update will surely include its new release date.)

As for the issue at hand - Back to the Future. There have been many speculative reports of the trilogy being released sometime in July or August. The date of August 20th comes from a published report that the trilogy was going to be released in Region 2 on that date. Considering that Universal isn't likely to release such a high-profile title in Region 2 only, it was safe to assume that this would be the U.S. date. (Now, ask Columbia why they've only chosen to release the Starman Special Edition - With Bridges/Carpenter Commentary - Only Region 2 with no plans for U.S.)

I talked with a rep from Universal Home Video and he would not deny it, but only confirm that plans are to release the series by the end of the summer, most likely in August. So, the date may change a week or two as many tentative titles do. All I can say is to keep checking back. If anything changes, the schedule will reflect it accurately.

Thanks,

Erik Childress

Chicago Film Critics Association / Online Film Critics Society

eFilmCritic.com

UR Chicago Magazine (Video/DVD & Theatrical Reviews)

Metro Commuter

Nick Digilio (WGN Radio 720 AM Chicago)

Buzz & Wendy (WCKG 105.9 FM Chicago)

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
Erik,

I for one, as a skeptic, am willing to believe you. Actually I would very much like to take your list as being as close to the truth as humanly possible. I was only expressing my opinion that the site had seemed to come out of nowhere, at least in the dvd world, and many were taking it as fact without question.

I just wanted to know that there was some backing to your list. As you probably, aware of many have, and/or could have, constructed a list similar to yours on their own.

I guess what I am trying to say is I appreciate your effort and retract my harsh skepticism of your site.

-Chad

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Possible bad news from Dark Horizons:

DVD News: Video store clerks got an important call today, and 'Honest Abe' relays the bad news: "The much beloved and long delayed release of the Back to the Future trilogy on DVD will be delayed even longer. Apparently the July release date has been scrapped (expect an official announcement soon) because there simply isn't enough time for the marketing plan to be implemented. No future date has been set except for "next year"".

John Simon

Second Unit
I've always found Dark Horizons to be a very reliable site, but I'm not believing this report. After all, why would there be an official announcement of a delay when there has been no official announcement of a release date? I'm guessing this one's a fake.
At least, I hope so.....:)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
As I've said all along, I'll believe that this is released when they pry it into my cold, dead hands. :D
It's nice that Bob Gale was talking about it like it would be released this year, but shit happens and has happenned every years since DVD players came to be...official announcements or no.
Since I pretty much didn't get my hopes up in the first place, then there's nothing to dash here. I'll just wait and enjoy plenty of other fine releases until BTTF happens to come along.
...like Used Cars, for instance!

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
I too will for the moment anyhow value Bob Gale's word over this Honest Abe fellow.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It does seem odd that "video store clerks" would receive a call like this. If video stores were currently able to preorder BTTF from the distributor, I believe we'd have heard something about it by now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks