What's new

Baby Cart Samurai movies (1 Viewer)

Rich P

Stunt Coordinator
The Lone Wolf and Cub (Kozure Okami) movies were released by AnimEigo on laser disc as part of their Samurai Cinema collection. Current plans are to release these films on DVD in Spring 2002 as indicated by their web page .
Given AnimEigo's dedication to quality with Anime features, I am anticipating this release when it does arrive. I think it will be excellent.

chris larralde

Stunt Coordinator
The one I remember seeing was "Shogun Assasin"
Is this a compilation of the individual movies or a stand-alone?
chris

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Shogun Assassin was indeed a compilation. Amazingly enough, it works. I can't wait for those dvds...
------------------
sgon.jpg

"Death's at the bottom of everything, Martins - leave death to the professionals!"
"Mind if use that line in my next western?"

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Animeigo is NOT doing new transfer for these films. They say they cannot afford them and that the Japanese studio has no interest in doing new transfers themselves. That means the very old, NON-Digital, 4:3 letterbox transfers (iow, ANALOG), will be used for these DVDs.
Personally, I think that is a damn shame and will pass. Now that I have a 16x9 TV, it is very difficult to deal with the huge loss in resolution of 4:3 transfers. Especially when they are so old (I have the laserdiscs and can tell you flat out, they are very poor in quality compared with what a new transfer on modern equipment would look like).
frown.gif

------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

PhilShen

Grip
The Babycart series are available currently on DVD in Region 2/PAL only. There's a specialty rental place in Seattle called Scarecrow that carries them: Link Removed I rented the 2nd one of the series (River Styx) and I agree with Matt - the video looks like an old letterbox transfer.
Nevertheless, I still enjoyed the film as it strives to capture the style and stays true to the manga. If you have a PAL-capable player, check 'em out!

Rich P

Stunt Coordinator
We have delayed releasing this title on DVD because we are investigating either obtaining a new digital transfer or digitally enhancing the current transfer. DVD as a format is very unforgiving and enhances the slightest flaws in the video transfer, in particular the older analog transfers typical of our samurai films. As always, our concern is to provide you with the highest possible quality we can, so we're taking the time to do the best possible job.
I realise that the website might contain old news - but for animation releases, AnimEigo seems to be trying to do it right. Therefore, I am surprised to hear that they won't do it right for any of their Samurai films.

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Matt - What is the source for this comment? I had understood that part of the reason for delaying the release on DVD was to improve the transfer.
My source is Animeigo. I called them a few months ago and was able to talk with them about the series and my concerns about using the analog transfers, which are lacking in every way. I was told the Japanese studio had no plans of creating new transfers (no surprise there) and that Animeigo didn't have the funds to create new low contrast prints and then create anamorphic masters of them. It would be too costly for such a low volume seller. So... they are researching how to clean up the analog masters.
There you have it. Give them a call if you wish to confirm this. Just make sure you talk with someone in the know and not a secretary or stock boy.
Personally, I am praying that they change their minds and that by some miracle can work something out with the studio so that we can get new transfers for the Baby Cart films, as well as the HANZO THE RAZOR trilogy.
------------------

Rich P

Stunt Coordinator
Did contact AnimEigo by e-mail and asked if they were indeed looking to clean up the analog masters. Robert Woodhead (CEO, co-founder of AnimEigo, responsible for pre-production) replied with:
That is true for SOME of the samurai titles. But for the big kahuna at least, lone wolf and cub, we are getting new prints made from the original vault negatives and doing a new digital anamorphic transfer. Negotiations are just wrapping up, and we should get the first prints late in the fall.
Based on how well LW&C does, we'll be able to determine if we can afford new prints for other titles.
So for LW&C at least, we should be seeing a new and improved transfer. I will be buying this set on DVD when announced. I hope that others will purchase it also so that AnimEigo can afford new prints for the other titles in the Samurai Cinema collection. (Particularly, the Zatoichi films that they have the rights to.)
Good news for me at least, hope this is good news for others also.

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Well, THAT is NEWS. GOOD NEWS! I spoke with them around April, so a lot must have changed since them. I will absolutely buy all six of those DVD's if they are anamorphic and I would hope that others would take a chance.
Part 1 is the least exciting in the series. It's basically the setup. The rest just get better and better. I have them all on laserdisc. It will be interesting to see how they do the subtitles, as the LD's subtitles have different colors for each person when two or more people are on screen speaking (the font is just perfect). They also have "translations" in the top black bar when certain words are said that might be unknown to American viewers. This, of course, makes the LD's impossible to view on 16x9 screens.
frown.gif

I also hope that they can do new anamorphic transfers for the HANZO THE RAZOR trilogy, which is easily some of the most insane stuff I have EVER seen. Some would find it absolutely offensive. The films involve a "lowly constable" who dispenses justice not only with his razor sharp sword, but also with his long, thick, uhm,... sword.
rolleyes.gif

smiley_jawdrop.gif

If you get my meaning. He "interrogates" women suspects by torturing them with pleasure, then goes out and slices the bad guys up in scenes that have more karo syrup and food coloring than the entire Nightmare On Elm Street series combined.
All this would be pointless, were it not for the outstanding art design, costumes, sets, locations, acting, direction and performances.
------------------
[Edited last by Matt_Stevens on September 07, 2001 at 04:56 PM]

JakeR

Stunt Coordinator
Resurrecting this thread. :)
I just found a low-quality DVD of Shogun Assassin on eBay, and was blown away by it. I hope/pray that Animeigo will stick with their plans to release all six films next year.
My question is, does an anamorphic transfer of Shogun Assassin exist in ANY region? I hate to sound like a spaz, but I'd consider getting a region-free player if it does. I was that impressed with it, but horrified by how it looked on my Toshiba 40H80 widescreen.

Lucas Dang

Stunt Coordinator
I recommend you go to their site and order everything they got on LD, I did this.. They are 7$ each. IF its going to be the same transfer mine as well get em all which is actually possible at this price.
Too bad they didnt release Zatoichi the blind swordsman series on LD or Id have bought them too.

Rich P

Stunt Coordinator
Shogun Assassin is a compilation from the Lone Wolf and Cub movies - so if AnimEigo releases the original films in anamorphic transfer why would one get Shogun Assassin?
Also, I was told by AnimEigo (and as reported above) that the DVDs will be NEW transfers of the films, so while the LDs might be a bargin, the DVDs should be much improved in quality. (The LDs tend to be a bit murky.)
As for Zatoichi, they acquired the rights just as LD was fading away and DVD coming on strong. I expect to see Zatoichi on DVD sometime in the future.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
By the way, speaking of ZATOICHI, I see that the Independent Film Channel (IFC) is planning on airing the first four films in that series, every Saturday (morning showings, with an early afternoon repeat) in November. I can't wait, as I've heard of these "Blind Swordsman" films for years, but never had a good opportunity to see them (other than the Hollywood remake version, BLIND FURY, with Rutger Hauer), until now.

Richard_Huntington

Stunt Coordinator
Damn. I wish my local cable had that channel. I rented the two Zatoichi VHS tapes that were at my local video store years ago and liked the films a lot. However, the 2.35:1 widescreen ratio was zoomed in and raised up by the video company, resulting in people's heads being chopped off by the overscan. Very annoying.
I recently rented the first two episodes of the Baby Cart series and found them to be brilliant. So then I rented SWORD OF JUSTICE (I think that's the name of it) which is part of that Hanzo series and was shocked at what I saw. Very NC-17 stuff. My wife actually laughed through it and didn't want to kill me for renting it.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"My wife actually prefers widescreen"

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
Somebody educate a heathen!
biggrin.gif
I've often heard of the Samauri baby cart films but have no idea what the titles of the films in the series are. Can somebody give me a chronological list of the flicks? Also, anybody know the times that the Independent film channel will be running them?? Where's the site to get them on LD for $7??
Cheers.
------------------
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks