Baby Cart Samurai movies

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by chris larralde, Sep 3, 2001.

1. chris larralde

chris larralde Stunt Coordinator

Anyone know if these are or will be available on DVD?
    I have fond memories of them as a kid.

2. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

3. Rich P

Rich P Stunt Coordinator

The Lone Wolf and Cub (Kozure Okami) movies were released by AnimEigo on laser disc as part of their Samurai Cinema collection. Current plans are to release these films on DVD in Spring 2002 as indicated by their web page .
    Given AnimEigo's dedication to quality with Anime features, I am anticipating this release when it does arrive. I think it will be excellent.

4. Mathias Klemme

Mathias Klemme Stunt Coordinator

I love them too. Fortunately, they are just being released in a remastered version here in Germany.

5. chris larralde

chris larralde Stunt Coordinator

The one I remember seeing was "Shogun Assasin"
    Is this a compilation of the individual movies or a stand-alone?
    chris

6. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Shogun Assassin was indeed a compilation. Amazingly enough, it works. I can't wait for those dvds...
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    "Death's at the bottom of everything, Martins - leave death to the professionals!"
    "Mind if use that line in my next western?"

7. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

Animeigo is NOT doing new transfer for these films. They say they cannot afford them and that the Japanese studio has no interest in doing new transfers themselves. That means the very old, NON-Digital, 4:3 letterbox transfers (iow, ANALOG), will be used for these DVDs.
    Personally, I think that is a damn shame and will pass. Now that I have a 16x9 TV, it is very difficult to deal with the huge loss in resolution of 4:3 transfers. Especially when they are so old (I have the laserdiscs and can tell you flat out, they are very poor in quality compared with what a new transfer on modern equipment would look like). [​IMG]
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

8. PhilShen

PhilShen Extra

The Babycart series are available currently on DVD in Region 2/PAL only. There's a specialty rental place in Seattle called Scarecrow that carries them: http://www.scarecrow.com I rented the 2nd one of the series (River Styx) and I agree with Matt - the video looks like an old letterbox transfer.
    Nevertheless, I still enjoyed the film as it strives to capture the style and stays true to the manga. If you have a PAL-capable player, check 'em out!

9. Matt_Stevens

Yes, those R2 DVD's are the old NTSC masters, transferred to PAL. Yuck. There are some Hong Kong releases that are out, but they are worse than the laserdiscs.
    ------------------

10. Rich P

Rich P Stunt Coordinator

11. Matt_Stevens

12. Rich P

Rich P Stunt Coordinator

Did contact AnimEigo by e-mail and asked if they were indeed looking to clean up the analog masters. Robert Woodhead (CEO, co-founder of AnimEigo, responsible for pre-production) replied with:

13. Matt_Stevens

Well, THAT is NEWS. GOOD NEWS! I spoke with them around April, so a lot must have changed since them. I will absolutely buy all six of those DVD's if they are anamorphic and I would hope that others would take a chance.
    Part 1 is the least exciting in the series. It's basically the setup. The rest just get better and better. I have them all on laserdisc. It will be interesting to see how they do the subtitles, as the LD's subtitles have different colors for each person when two or more people are on screen speaking (the font is just perfect). They also have "translations" in the top black bar when certain words are said that might be unknown to American viewers. This, of course, makes the LD's impossible to view on 16x9 screens. [​IMG]
    I also hope that they can do new anamorphic transfers for the HANZO THE RAZOR trilogy, which is easily some of the most insane stuff I have EVER seen. Some would find it absolutely offensive. The films involve a "lowly constable" who dispenses justice not only with his razor sharp sword, but also with his long, thick, uhm,... sword. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If you get my meaning. He "interrogates" women suspects by torturing them with pleasure, then goes out and slices the bad guys up in scenes that have more karo syrup and food coloring than the entire Nightmare On Elm Street series combined.
    All this would be pointless, were it not for the outstanding art design, costumes, sets, locations, acting, direction and performances.
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Matt_Stevens on September 07, 2001 at 04:56 PM]

14. JakeR

JakeR Stunt Coordinator

Resurrecting this thread. [​IMG]
    I just found a low-quality DVD of Shogun Assassin on eBay, and was blown away by it. I hope/pray that Animeigo will stick with their plans to release all six films next year.
    My question is, does an anamorphic transfer of Shogun Assassin exist in ANY region? I hate to sound like a spaz, but I'd consider getting a region-free player if it does. I was that impressed with it, but horrified by how it looked on my Toshiba 40H80 widescreen.

15. Lucas Dang

Lucas Dang Stunt Coordinator

I recommend you go to their site and order everything they got on LD, I did this.. They are 7$ each. IF its going to be the same transfer mine as well get em all which is actually possible at this price.
    Too bad they didnt release Zatoichi the blind swordsman series on LD or Id have bought them too.

16. Rich P

Rich P Stunt Coordinator

Shogun Assassin is a compilation from the Lone Wolf and Cub movies - so if AnimEigo releases the original films in anamorphic transfer why would one get Shogun Assassin?
    Also, I was told by AnimEigo (and as reported above) that the DVDs will be NEW transfers of the films, so while the LDs might be a bargin, the DVDs should be much improved in quality. (The LDs tend to be a bit murky.)
    As for Zatoichi, they acquired the rights just as LD was fading away and DVD coming on strong. I expect to see Zatoichi on DVD sometime in the future.

17. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    By the way, speaking of ZATOICHI, I see that the Independent Film Channel (IFC) is planning on airing the first four films in that series, every Saturday (morning showings, with an early afternoon repeat) in November. I can't wait, as I've heard of these "Blind Swordsman" films for years, but never had a good opportunity to see them (other than the Hollywood remake version, BLIND FURY, with Rutger Hauer), until now.

18. Richard_Huntington

Richard_Huntington Stunt Coordinator

Damn. I wish my local cable had that channel. I rented the two Zatoichi VHS tapes that were at my local video store years ago and liked the films a lot. However, the 2.35:1 widescreen ratio was zoomed in and raised up by the video company, resulting in people's heads being chopped off by the overscan. Very annoying.
    I recently rented the first two episodes of the Baby Cart series and found them to be brilliant. So then I rented SWORD OF JUSTICE (I think that's the name of it) which is part of that Hanzo series and was shocked at what I saw. Very NC-17 stuff. My wife actually laughed through it and didn't want to kill me for renting it. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    "My wife actually prefers widescreen"

19. Jeff Swindoll

Jeff Swindoll Supporting Actor

Somebody educate a heathen! [​IMG] I've often heard of the Samauri baby cart films but have no idea what the titles of the films in the series are. Can somebody give me a chronological list of the flicks? Also, anybody know the times that the Independent film channel will be running them?? Where's the site to get them on LD for $7??
    Cheers.
    ------------------
    I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
    --Bernie Faulkner

20. Philip Verdieck

Philip Verdieck Second Unit